Troy-Bilt won't pay for warrantee service

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 8, 2020
Brand new Troy-Bilt line trimmer. Followed all instructions in the manual. Used once, wouldn't stay running. Troy-Bilt said take it to authorized repair shop, which I did. Used the manual-specified fuel and showed the repair shop the manufacturer recommended fuel I used, which they affirmed was correct. Repair shop looked at it, put in new fuel and said problem was fixed. Troy-Bilt refuses to cover the service charge. Have called customer service numerous times, they say it's not a product defect so they won't cover the service charge. Called corporate office of MTD Products (parent company), cannot get a supervisor or manager to call me back. Can provide more details on request, but I followed the user manual exactly, so I don't believe there was any negligence on my part.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
It it was under warranty, why did the shop charge you a service fee? They shouldn’t have charged you it seems to me.

I assume they concluded that the issue was user error and therefore not covered under warranty. The repair shop resolved the problem by filling the trimmer with the manual-specified fuel, so it's a reasonable assumption that the fuel used before was not correct.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I assume they concluded that the issue was user error and therefore not covered under warranty. The repair shop resolved the problem by filling the trimmer with the manual-specified fuel, so it's a reasonable assumption that the fuel used before was not correct.
That’s what I thought- and user error usually isn’t covered by a warranty.

Reactions: VoR61

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Forum Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
I had the exact same thing happen about two years ago with an edger. When I took it in, the first thing they did was drain the fuel put in a new fuel filter, and fuel, after which it started right up. They told me the fuel was probably bad or contaminated.

Oct 8, 2020
I used a brand new can of pre-mixed fuel and of the exact ratio specified in the user's guide. I showed the can to the repair shop and they confirmed it was exactly what I should be using. MTD Products (Troy-Bilt) says they won't pay the bill because it is not a manufacturer defect. I did everything exactly as was specified in the manual, so I don't see how there was any negligence on my part. I'm very familiar with 2-cycle engines and am well aware that they do not do well with regular pump gas that has ethanol added, hence I was very careful to use a fresh can of what was specified by the manufacturer. The bill was $27.53 and I have not been able to pick up the line trimmer to even test to make sure it was diagnosed correctly since I cannot get hold of anyone beyond first-tier support at Troy-Bilt to plead my case and authorize payment. I would really like to speak directly with a supervisor/manager/executive that has discretionary authority beyond first tier.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you ask the service company why they were charging you? You are in a tough position because there didn’t seem to be a defect with the item yet you were charged by the service company.

Use the link VoR gave you to request company contacts and then begin a writing campaign using our method:

Reactions: VoR61
Oct 8, 2020
Yes, I did ask. The repair shop charges for their repair service and they need to get an authorization from the manufacturer to pay for warranty work (this trimmer is within the warranty period as it is brand new out of the box and used exactly one time). Since MTD Products won't pay because they say it's not a manufacturing defect, at this point if I want my line trimmer back I have to pay the bill myself. First tier support at MTD doesn't appear to have any empowerment to take other factors into consideration, hence my attempts to speak to someone with higher authority.

Oct 8, 2020
I did already fill out the research request form. Shortly afterwards I received a message back to post the details of my request here on the forum, which I have done. Should I also open a case with the BBB? Or hold off on that for now?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The BBB is powerless to do anything. All they can do is take your letter, forward it to Troy and ask for them to respond. They can’t force them to do anything. Wait and see if our researchers can find contacts and then start writing using our method- one executive weekly.

If that doesn’t work, your next step would be to write to the Attorney General in the state Troy does business in.

How much is the repair shop charging you?

Oct 8, 2020
Yes, correct. It's only $27.53 but it's kind of the principle of the whole thing. I mean is MTD Products saying that $27.53 is far more important to them than customer satisfaction with their products? If so, why on earth would I ever buy one of their products again? I do now, and have in the past, owned other 2-cycle engine products so I am familiar with their operation. I've never encountered any issues like this with any of the other brands, and certainly not right out of the box.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree about the principal and think you should absolutely take this further with the company. But I think it might be awhile before you complete our process of writing if we can get you contacts so I’d pay it and get the bill and ensure they state on it you used the correct fuel and use that to ask for reimbursement.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
What's the principle at stake here? The trimmer didn't work with the OP's fuel and did work with the repair shop's fuel. This indicates a fuel problem, not a defect in the trimmer.

You may wish to escalate this with the premixed fuel manufacturer. Perhaps the fuel had exceeded its shelf life or was somehow contaminated.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020
The fuel was brand new; it went into the trimmer the day after I bought it. The trimmer did run on the fuel I put in it. The issue was it would bog down after about 10 minutes, die, and then be impossible to start until it sat for a while. It repeated this several times. Since it would run fine for about 5-10 minutes at a time I'm rather suspect that it was the fuel and perhaps something else. But for now I'll take the advice to pay the bill and make sure the repair shop completely documents the fact that they told me I was using the correct fuel.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unless you pick this up and try using it again, you don’t know if the “fix” that service shop did really fixed it. While it may have started right up after they changed the fuel and filter, it might not continue to run while you are using it as you described.

I highly recommend paying the money to pick it up and try using it again. If it stops running again after they fixed it, you have more of a case that there is a defect if you have to bring it back again because it repeats the problem.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
The fuel was brand new; it went into the trimmer the day after I bought it. The trimmer did run on the fuel I put in it. The issue was it would bog down after about 10 minutes, die, and then be impossible to start until it sat for a while. It repeated this several times. Since it would run fine for about 5-10 minutes at a time I'm rather suspect that it was the fuel and perhaps something else. But for now I'll take the advice to pay the bill and make sure the repair shop completely documents the fact that they told me I was using the correct fuel.
Based upon the symptoms, you would be wise, I think, to do the following when you pick up the trimmer:
  • Ensure they have documented everything they did on your receipt
  • Ensure that they ran it for 10-15 minutes as well
  • Ask them politely to start it up one more time with you present
Once you leave their shop, you are at a disadvantage otherwise . . .