Trouble with TAP (Air Portugal)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 9, 2018
This summer I traveled back and forth between London and Tangier for my daughter's wedding and a celebration in Tangier. On the first trip, the flight from London to Lisbon was delayed, causing me to miss my flight from Lisbon to Tangier. Several other passengers and I were very surprised to arrive in the late evening and be told that we needed to find our own hotels and transportation. I found this frustrating, but dealt with it and submitted the online form, with receipts on June 13.

The more shocking issue I had with them was showing up for my flight from Tangier back to Lisbon on June 14 and being told that the flight had been moved up by a day. So I missed it. They would not have another flight out for 2 days. I had to purchase a ticket through another airline. When I looked back to see if there had been any notification, the only thing I had received was on June 10. It was an itinerary, all in Portuguese, with the June 13 date on it, but nothing to indicate this was an important message or change of date. This e-mail was lost amongst several from TAP asking if I wanted to upgrade to business class and telling me how to request an invoice or boarding proof. I submitted the online complaint form for this on June 15.

I have followed up several times using their online tool and phone calls. I have received no communication or apology on either, except an automatic e-mail saying the complaints were received.

Besides mentioning that I plan to follow up with the Civil Aviation Authority, European Commission of Mobility and Transport, and/or the Portugal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and posting on social media, is there something else I should do or say? I researched a little into Article 5 of Regulation 261/2004 but there is not even a mention about anything like having a flight moved up a day.

I am asking to be reimbursed for the hotel, taxi and food for the earlier trip and the cost of the replacement ticket for the second trip. I also said I expect additional reimbursement for the frustration and inconvenience caused by these issues. It really was upsetting to have to deal with these issues while trying to be there for my daughter's wedding.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Very happy you got there for the wedding, Tess ... but not so happy about the extra cost. If your communication with TAP "mentioned" contacting all those agencies and posting on FB, you'll probably not hear back from them. If you left out that part, use our Company Contacts and submit a concise, polite letter to TAP Customer Service. Wait two weeks, and then move up the corporate ladder, waiting a week between each submission. You'll need to be polite, patient and persistent. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Sep 9, 2018
Very happy you got there for the wedding, Tess ... but not so happy about the extra cost. If your communication with TAP "mentioned" contacting all those agencies and posting on FB, you'll probably not hear back from them. If you left out that part, use our Company Contacts and submit a concise, polite letter to TAP Customer Service. Wait two weeks, and then move up the corporate ladder, waiting a week between each submission. You'll need to be polite, patient and persistent. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
I had listed those as future actions if I did not hear back from them in a reasonable time. I have tried not to be rude, but did share my surprise and frustration with the situation. So when you say that I probably will not hear back from them, does that mean you think I will not receive compensation? I have used the phone contacts as well and always stayed very polite to the people I am talking to. If I did mention those things in the complaint, do you recommend I don't write to them?

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This summer I traveled back and forth between London and Tangier for my daughter's wedding and a celebration in Tangier. On the first trip, the flight from London to Lisbon was delayed, causing me to miss my flight from Lisbon to Tangier. Several other passengers and I were very surprised to arrive in the late evening and be told that we needed to find our own hotels and transportation. I found this frustrating, but dealt with it and submitted the online form, with receipts on June 13.

The more shocking issue I had with them was showing up for my flight from Tangier back to Lisbon on June 14 and being told that the flight had been moved up by a day. So I missed it. They would not have another flight out for 2 days. I had to purchase a ticket through another airline. When I looked back to see if there had been any notification, the only thing I had received was on June 10. It was an itinerary, all in Portuguese, with the June 13 date on it, but nothing to indicate this was an important message or change of date. This e-mail was lost amongst several from TAP asking if I wanted to upgrade to business class and telling me how to request an invoice or boarding proof. I submitted the online complaint form for this on June 15.

I have followed up several times using their online tool and phone calls. I have received no communication or apology on either, except an automatic e-mail saying the complaints were received.

Besides mentioning that I plan to follow up with the Civil Aviation Authority, European Commission of Mobility and Transport, and/or the Portugal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and posting on social media, is there something else I should do or say? I researched a little into Article 5 of Regulation 261/2004 but there is not even a mention about anything like having a flight moved up a day.

I am asking to be reimbursed for the hotel, taxi and food for the earlier trip and the cost of the replacement ticket for the second trip. I also said I expect additional reimbursement for the frustration and inconvenience caused by these issues. It really was upsetting to have to deal with these issues while trying to be there for my daughter's wedding.
You acknowledge that you were sent an email by TAP with the schedule change 3 days prior to the date change. They are not responsible for your failure to appreciate the significance of the email or the fact that it was in Portuguese (it is a Portuguese airline). It is unlikely that they will provide any coverage for the costs you incurred on the return flight. "Follow up with the Civil Aviation Authority, European Commission of Mobility and Transport, and/or the Portugal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and posting on social media" is unlikely to affect their response in a positive direction. They will not reimburse you for " the frustration and inconvenience".

Was your outbound trip all on TAP. If so, you have a claim for the missed connection and costs associated with it.

Sep 19, 2015

Why was the London to Lisbon flight delayed? You may be eligible for EU 261.

The not examining the email about the change is a good problem. Google translate could have helped.

Can you tell us what that said?

Sep 9, 2018
Why was the London to Lisbon flight delayed? You may be eligible for EU 261.

The not examining the email about the change is a good problem. Google translate could have helped.

Can you tell us what that said?
It was just an itinerary with the different date on it. Is it appropriate to attach a copy of the e-mail here?

Sep 9, 2018
It was just an itinerary with the different date on it. Is it appropriate to attach a copy of the e-mail here?
And I am not sure why the original flight to Lisbon was delayed. There did not seem to be any weather issue at either location. I don't think that we were told. There were about 8-9 people who missed connections on 3-4 different flights. I shared my hotel room and uber with a young woman from Morocco who had no credit card and not enough cash to pay for a hotel and cab.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can’t attach copies on this website.
Can you translate the email and post the translation here by copying and pasting?

The email has to say more than just having different dates. There has to be an explanation.

Sep 19, 2015

May I ask why you are threatening to go to social media? The Portuguese Minister of Foreign Affairs? That is similar to the US Dept of State or going straight to Jeremy Hunt in the UK — they have nothing to do with airlines and compensation.

What day was the outbound flight?

Sep 9, 2018
You can’t attach copies on this website.
Can you translate the email and post the translation here by copying and pasting?

The email has to say more than just having different dates. There has to be an explanation.
Hello Neil,
Here is the translation. Sorry the formatting is not great. But it is just an itinerary, just that the departure date from Tangier was changed to the 13th instead of the 14th.

ELECTRONIC TICKET
PASSENGER ITINERARY RECEIPT
TAP AIR PORTUGAL CONTACT C
ED 27 S. 5 LISBON
LISBON
IATA: 644 91335
TELEPHONE: +351 707205700
ISSUING COMPANY
TICKET NUMBER
DATE: JUN 10, 2018
AGENT: 1033
NAME: KRUSER / THERESAMRS
: TAP PORTUGAL
: ETKT 047 2169735718
RESERVATION CODE: AMADEUS: JTFE3I, AIR COMPANY: 1A / JTFE3I
RESERVATION CODE: AMADEUS: JTFE3I, AIR COMPANY: AT / JTFE3I
RESERVATION CODE: AMADEUS: JTFE3I, AIR COMPANY: TP / JTFE3I
FROM / TO FLIGHT CL DATA SAI BASE RATE
TANGIER IBN BAT TP 1431 O 13JUN 0435 O02DSC0C
LISBON AIRPORT ARRIVAL SCHEDULE:
TERMINAL: 1 LAST APRES. P / CHECK-IN: 0335
LISBON AIRPORT TP 366 O 14JUN 1005 O02DSC0C
TERMINAL: 1
LONDON HEATHROW ARRIVAL SCHEDULE:
TERMINAL: 2 LAST APRES. P / CHECK-IN: 0905
NVA NVD
Bad st
NO CHECK-IN, PLEASE PRESENT AN IDENTIFICATION WITH PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE
DOCUMENT PROVIDED AS A REFERENCE, AT THE RESERVE ACT.
ENDOSOS
PAYMENT
CALCULATION OF THE RATE
AIR RATE
EQUIV PAID RATE
: CHNG NOT PERMITTEDNON REF
:
: I-LON TP X / LIS TP TNG41.65TP X / LIS
TPLON21.49NUC63.14END ROE0.744255
: GBP 47.00
: USD 65.00
09JUN 0PC OK
ARRIVAL DATE:
13JUN
ARRIVAL DATE:
14JUN
09JUN 0PC OK
RATE: USD PD 61.24YQ USD PD 18.10GB USD PD 26.87UB
USD PD 16.29PT USD PD 38.72YP USD PD 10.10MA
USD PD 10.86A9
TOTAL: NO ADC
TRANSPORTATION OF CERTAIN HAZARDOUS MATERIALS, AS AEROSOLS, FIRE
FIREPLACE AND FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS, ON BOARD AIRCRAFT IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE
SOME QUESTIONS WITH THESE RESTRICTIONS, YOU MAY GET MORE INFORMATION WITH YOUR
AIRLINE.
DATA PROTECTION NOTICE: YOUR PERSONAL DATA WILL BE PROCESSED IN ACCORDANCE
WITH THE APPLICABLE CARRIER'S PRIVACY POLICY AND, IF YOUR BOOKING IS MADE VIA
A RESERVATION SYSTEM PROVIDER (GDS), WITH ITS PRIVACY POLICY. THESE ARE
AVAILABLE AT http://www.iatatravelcenter.com/privacy OR FROM THE CARRIER OR
GDS DIRECTLY. YOU SHOULD READ THIS DOCUMENTATION, WHICH APPLIES TO YOUR
BOOKING AND SPECIFIES, FOR EXAMPLE, HOW YOUR PERSONAL DATA IS COLLECTED,
STORED, USED, DISCLOSED AND TRANSFERRED. (APPLICABLE FOR INTERLINE CARRIAGE)
NOTICE
THE RESPONSIBILITY OF COMMUNITY AIR CARRIERS WITH RESPECT TO
PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGES AND REGULATED BY THE MONTREAL CONVENTION OF MAY 28
1999 AND REGULATION (EC) No 2027/97 OF 9 OCTOBER AMENDED BY THE
REGULATION (EC) No 889/2002 OF 13 MAY. IN CASE OF DEATH OR BODY LESION
OF A PASSENGER, THE CARRIER CAN NOT EXCLUDE OR LIMIT
LIABILITY TO THE 100,000 SPECIAL DISCHARGE RIGHTS (DSE) MORE POWERFUL,
FOR THE DAMAGES EXCEEDING THAT AMOUNT, TO ANSWER AN APPLICATION FOR INDEMNIFICATION
PROVIDE THAT THERE WAS NO NEGLIGENCE OR ANY OTHER WAY OF
PART. PASSENGER BAGGAGE CAN NOT CONTAIN HAZARDOUS ARTICLES. POWER
OBTAIN MORE DETAILED INFORMATION FROM THE CARRIER OR AT WWW.FLYTAP.COM
http://www.flytap.com/sitePointer.php?id=6103&language=en&market=en

Sep 9, 2018
May I ask why you are threatening to go to social media? The Portuguese Minister of Foreign Affairs? That is similar to the US Dept of State or going straight to Jeremy Hunt in the UK — they have nothing to do with airlines and compensation.

What day was the outbound flight?
I will be totally honest that the social media thing was a bit of a meltdown moment for me. We had several wedding guests who were going to be flying the same path I had taken, including my mother (who is in her late 70s) and sister. The thought that they might have the same situation happen to them or they might get stuck and miss the wedding had me panicked. The Ministry of Foreign affairs and other offices were listed when I tried to do some research on what channels to access for assistance.

Regarding the outbound flight, the original ticket had me leaving Tangier to Lisbon on June 14th. They changed it to June 13th.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So if I am reading the email right you received the he email June 10 indicating your flight was changed from
the 14th to the 13th but you didn’t really understand what it was saying?

I have to agree that there is nothing in that emsil specifically stating that your flight changed to a day before. I might have missed it as well.

Use our company contacts at TAP and see if they will reimburse you for the new tickets.

Copy the email and state no where did it indicate the flight was changed and had the email specifically stated it you would have called to ask them to change the flight.

Sep 9, 2018
So if I am reading the email right you received the he email June 10 indicating your flight was changed from
the 14th to the 13th but you didn’t really understand what it was saying?

I have to agree that there is nothing in that emsil specifically stating that your flight changed to a day before. I might have missed it as well.

Use our company contacts at TAP and see if they will reimburse you for the new tickets.

Copy the email and state no where did it indicate the flight was changed and had the email specifically stated it you would have called to ask them to change the flight.

Thank you very much Neil! I will do that. Would it be advisable to mention the other issue in the same contact? On the same ticket (on my way to Morocco) the flight to Lisbon was delayed (not sure of the reason, but was not weather) causing me to miss my connection. Several other passengers and I were told we needed to make our own hotel and transportation arrangements. I have submitted those receipts and not heard back from them on that either.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you have a separate ticket for your flight from
Lisbon to Tangiers, or were both flights on one ticket?

If they were two separate tickets, no compensation is due. If they were in one ticket with one PNR, the airline should have revoked your flight to Tangiers. I can’t tell from what you copied if both flights were on one ticket.

How do you know there wasn’t a weather issue? There could have been problems with incoming planes that were the flights you were going on that were affected by weather.

But you might be due EU261 compensation if there weren’t extraordinary circumstances.

Sep 9, 2018
Did you have a separate ticket for your flight from
Lisbon to Tangiers, or were both flights on one ticket?

If they were two separate tickets, no compensation is due. If they were in one ticket with one PNR, the airline should have revoked your flight to Tangiers. I can’t tell from what you copied if both flights were on one ticket.

How do you know there wasn’t a weather issue? There could have been problems with incoming planes that were the flights you were going on that were affected by weather.

But you might be due EU261 compensation if there weren’t extraordinary circumstances.

It was one ticket between London and Tangier. I'm not sure what the PNR is. I guess they did not mention there was a weather issue and there was no bad weather on either side of the trip, but I'm not sure of where the planes were coming from. It's just that at the airport when they met us and told us to make our own arrangements, they told us we would be reimbursed. They told us where to submit the receipts and complaints, but I still haven't received anything. I just wasn't sure if I should mention that along with the information about the rescheduled flight since they were on the same ticket.

Sep 9, 2018
Use our company contacts and escalate to management. But you might be able to file an EU261 claim as well.

Take a look at this:

https://www.elliott.org/frequently-asked-questions-about-eu261/
Hello Mr. Maley,
Thank you so much for your suggestion. I did write the contacts listed and got the following reply. I am happy that they got back to me and made an offer. I am wondering if you suggest pursuing a higher settlement. My reasoning follows:

Dear Ms. Kruser,

I appreciate your quick reply.

As the delay of TP369/10JUN was due to weather, TAP can reimburse up to EUR60 for hotel room accommodations as weather is a circumstance outside of the airline’s control. We agree to reimburse all other expenses as per the received receipts.

We see from the history of your reservation that TP1431/14JUN was cancelled on 24APR18. A notice had been sent out via email about the change. We sincerely apologize if you had not received this email. As the flight date approached another email was sent for you to contact our Call Center to confirm the new travel itinerary, however, we had not heard from you. Therefore, when you had shown up to the airport, you were advised of being confirmed on the flight the day prior. Since the ticket was not use, the value of the unused coupons of the ticket is USD85.32. In this case, we can either exchange the coupons to a future credit on TAP or you can receive a refund of this value.

To receive cash compensation, please provide the following:
  • Voided check
  • Bank name
  • Name on the account
  • Account number
  • ABA/Routing number
  • SWIFT number (if applicable)

Again we reiterate our apologies and look forward to welcoming you onboard a future TAP flight.

Regards,

Candace Ferreira Carvalho
Customer Relations | North America

Customer Relations Representative

The reasons I am wondering if I would be able to make a case for a larger settlement.
-The June 10 flight, we arrived in Lisbon late in the evening. When we were told that we needed to get out bags and make our own arrangements, there was a Moroccan woman who was traveling alone and did not have a credit card or a lot of money. She was very worried. I offered to share my ride and hotel room with her. Unfortunately, her bags ended up being lost. So after asking for help several times and waiting for about 2 more hours, we decided to give up and hope they would show up the next day. We found a line of people still waiting for assistance, finally around 3:00 AM we tried to find a hotel online. There were limited hotels available and being two women alone in a city we did not know, chose a hotel name I was familiar with.

-Regarding the June 14 flight. The response says the flight was canceled in April. But on June 3 I received an e-mail suggesting I upgrade one leg of trip, still listing the June 14 date. Here is a screenshot

1539658080830.png

The only other e-mail I received, besides the itinerary I included in the previous communication with you, was the one below. Which I still don't know if it is referring to that canceled flight. Without having received the e-mail about the flight being canceled, I assumed this had to do with my delayed flight on June 9th, which I submitted the forms for.

Dear Customer,

First of all, thank you for choosing TAP Air Portugal.
If you want to request an invoice or a boarding certificate, click here and enter your details in the request form and submit your request within 24 hours.
Thank you for flying with our airline.
TAP Air Portugal

thank you again for your time and help

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would suggest you go to the next executive on the list and repute the information from Carvalho showing the email offering you to upgrade. You are correct- how could your flight have been canceled when you received that email?

As far as you staying to help the woman that was alone- that was your choice. If a delay is due to weather, the airline isn’t responsible for hotels.

I suggest you do go to the next executive and tell them what you told us. Ask them to forward the email they sent advising you of the cancellation.

Sep 9, 2018
I would suggest you go to the next executive on the list and repute the information from Carvalho showing the email offering you to upgrade. You are correct- how could your flight have been canceled when you received that email?

As far as you staying to help the woman that was alone- that was your choice. If a delay is due to weather, the airline isn’t responsible for hotels.

I suggest you do go to the next executive and tell them what you told us. Ask them to forward the email they sent advising you of the cancellation.

Ok thank you again for your help!

Sep 19, 2015
The upgrade email does not contradict what TAP said.

TAP 1431 is operated by White airlines sort of a code share that was scheduled for 5:35 am and landed at 7:05. You were to connect to TAP 366 at 1005 am.

TAP 1431 was canceled on the 14th so they moved you to the 13th ie a forced overnight.

They kept 366 on the 14th.

You only received an upgrade notice for the London to Lisbon route because those flights have business class.

The Tangier to Lisbon is a one class flight which is why those flights were not listed.

You cannot ask for a larger settlement because you waited for another passenger who had her bags lost. This was not your travel companion, this was something you chose to do to be very kind and help a stranger.

TAP never claimed to have canceled the Lisbon to London flight. They put you on a flight the night earlier and would have had to pay for the hotel — again a forced overnight otherwise you could ask for a different itinerary.

You can certainly ask for more but do not do based on helping a stranger or on the basis of the upgrade email.