Trouble with American Home Shield

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 5, 2014
I have had American Home Shield for years. Sometimes they come through, most times they don't.
Two ceiling fans in my house are broken. In my contract, which in many areas states exclusions, under ceiling fans it says "Covered: all components and parts." Neither fan is operable because the light unit has separated from the fan and if you turn it on, it wobbles so much I believe it will fall out of the ceiling.

According to your suggestions to others, I wrote a short letter to the first contact on the list.
It reads as follows:

To: XXXXX

Have had AHS for many years. I have been a loyal customer.

Had an electric company come out Thur. last week to look at
Ceiling fans. He stated they were both beyond repair and he
Would put in a request for new fans to be installed.

Called the service dept. and after being on hold for 50 minutes,
The lady said that the request was denied.
  • The bedroom fan has separated between the fan and
    The light unit. Can not use fan because it vibrates and
    Will fall off the ceiling if it is turned on. He said it could not
    Be fixed.
  • The light in the great room won’t run correctly. Had it
    Fixed over 2 years ago, and they recommended if it ever
    Went out again, to get a new fan. It is difficult since it is
    A vaulted ceiling. The contractor last week said that it
    Needed to be replaced and would need a tall ladder.
Please see that they do the right thing and repair or replace the fans.
They sent Central Electric Contractors at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

I hope to continue a relationship with AHS.

Thank you in advance. (end of letter)

XXXXXXX
I also called the number and requested a supervisor to call. It has been 2 days and no response.
Let me know how to proceed.

Thank you forum members!!!!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How old are the fans? Don't they have any restrictions on the age of whatever they are replacing?

I actually tried to look on their website and see the terms of their policies and can't find any details. Do you have access to the details of what is and isn't covered we can see?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I actually did finally find a contract and I can't see why this wouldn't be covered or if they can't fix the lights, they send you money for a new one. It says it covers normal wear and tear and the information on why it wouldn't be covered doesn't seem to apply to a ceiling fan.

Ask them what part of the contract applies to why the repair wouldn't be covered or a replacement offered. You can copy and paste the link on the bottom.

They say:
For covered malfunctions, unless otherwise specified in this contract, AHS will repair or replace the covered item. AHS hasthe sole right to determine, according to the terms of this contract, whether a covered item will be repaired or replaced. When making repairs,
AHS reserves the right to rebuild existing parts or components and/or to install rebuilt parts or components. When making replacements, AHS is responsible for installing
replacement equipment and parts of similar features, capacity, and efficiency, but not for
matching dimensions, brand or color. AHS is not responsible'for matching any feature of an existing item that does not contribute to the primary function of that item.

AHS’s cash payment policies and procedures:
a. In instances where the combined cost of diagnosis and repair or replacement is estimated to exceed a stated contract dollar limit, AHS will not provide repair or replacement services but will instead pay an amount equal to the contract dollar limit minus the cost incurred to diagnose the malfunction.
b. Instances beyond AHS's control may prevent AHS from providing a repair or replacement
of a covered item. In these instances, AHS will provide you cash in lieu of the repair or
replacement services. The amount will be based on what a consumer without this
contract would pay after negotiating the best price for such services
in your area. These instances are when:
(i) Following a response to a covered malfunction, an item would remain non-compliant with laws, regulations or code requirements;
(ii) An item has a covered malfunction unrelated to a manufacturer’s recall on that item; or
(iii) An item is not repairable and a replacement item is no longer available.
If you copy and paste this link it should open, it will not let me link:

https://shopping.ahs.com/buyonline/...4.1900721672.1503685715-1851985946.1503685715

Sep 5, 2014
Neil, thank you for your thoughts. The problem I run into with AHS is that you call, and wait over 50 minutes for someone reading a script. I told her that all parts and components were covered, and she replied "that it was my problem to fix." I then asked if she would transfer me to a supervisor, and she replied no, but she would have one call me. I'm not holding my breath.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you tried their email address:

We don't have executive contacts for them but you can try using our Help tab and requesting someone do some research to find executive names and emails.

They also have a Facebook page you can put a complaint on but you wouldn't be the first. You might also file a complaint with your state insurance department or the Attorney General where you live.

https://m.facebook.com/team.ahs

They also have over 9,000 complaints with the BBB:

https://www.bbb.org/memphis/busines...s/american-home-shield-in-memphis-tn-22001027

Suffice it to say I don't think I would be renewing anything with them if it were me and I had that much trouble even reaching them.

Sep 5, 2014
Spoke with a supervisor today. She stated that:
1. Fan in my bedroom that is 30 years old did not fail due to normal wear and tear and they will
not cover it. (The light unit separated from the fan, and you can not operate the fan as it will
vibrate off the wall.)
2. Fan in my great room they stated that I had to provide access. I told her I let them in the door,
therefore I gave them access. She said that I needed to build a scaffold for them. (really) I told
her that my definition of access and hers varied greatly.

I would like for your team to now get involved. This is making me so mad that I feel like I'm going
crazy. If ceiling fans are covered: all parts and components........how can they say that mine broke
due to NOT normal wear and tear. You turn them on, you turn them off. Period. I didn't hang off the fan and break it.

Please help.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Gibsontobias, we don't letter writing on your behalf. We advise you to write to these contacts one at a time starting at the bottom and giving a week to each contact to reply. Move up to the next contact weekly until you get to the CEO.

If you get nowhere by doing all these steps, save every email you wrote or received back and use our help button to state you have gone up the chain and received no response or satisfaction.

If our writers think they can help, they will
take your case. But you have to do the work before we get involved.

Sep 5, 2014
I went by the AHS listing you have under insurance under company contacts. Started with Allison Bishop last week and received no reply. Moved up the list to Michael Clear and it came back as undeliverable. So went to last person on the list Robert Gillette and it also came back undeliverable. The contacts two posts above I do not have e-mail addresses for. What should I do next?

fyi- As an avid reader for years, when I take trips I always buy trip insurance. When going on a cruise, I arrive a day early. I also get freebird when flying that if my flight is delayed or cancelled they automatically give you alternative flights and you just press a button and you are set. I am not one who tries to get something for nothing. But, in this case, even when you do everything right, the outcome is not always favorable.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You need to go back to the HELP screen and report that you contacted Allison and did not receive an answer and that the next two email addresses are undelivered and ask if they can have someone research new executive contacts for you.