Trouble cancelling American Airlines flight I booked through Expedia

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 22, 2019
I booked a round trip flight from Raleigh, NC to Kingston, Jamaica on American Airlines through Expedia.com. The trip is from May 29th to June 3rd. I was recently told that I got hired at a new job which will begin in May. Unfortunately, since I will have just started at my new job, I will not have any vacation time accrued to take my trip.

I called Expedia and American Airlines and they both refused to refund me my money or give me flight credit. They said that since my ticket is a "Basic Economy" ticket, it is non-refundable. Is there anything I can do to get my money back for this flight? I do not want to miss out on the opportunity to work at this new company, but I also do not want to lose $600. Any help or guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Jan 6, 2015
Unfortunately, your employment change is not a covered reason to obtain a refund. You are asking them to grant an exception.

To do that, you should submit a polite request for that exception to Expedia using this link.

As you proceed with those contacts, it is important that you send only one email per week before escalating to the next executive level.

Dec 19, 2014
If you booked "basic economy" you have accepted some of the most strict ticket rules. The ticket rules do not allow for any changes (even with a fee). You can write American Airlines to ask for an exception, but it is unlikely to be granted.

When you booked your ticket, you would have checked the box acknowledging the rules including "no refunds. No changes."

Sep 12, 2018
My colleagues are right. No refunds on nonrefundable tickets, particularly basic economy.
Did you buy travel insurance?
Out of curiosity, does travel insurance cover something like this? I know some policies cover the involuntary loss of employment, but changing jobs would likely be considered voluntary. I guess what I’m asking is, other than cancel-for-any-reason coverage, what type of policy should a person shop for to be made whole in a situation like this one?

Feb 12, 2019
Out of curiosity, does travel insurance cover something like this? I know some policies cover the involuntary loss of employment, but changing jobs would likely be considered voluntary. I guess what I’m asking is, other than cancel-for-any-reason coverage, what type of policy should a person shop for to be made whole in a situation like this one?
I've seen some that have coverage for work excuses. (I forget the term they use.) Not every plan has it and sometimes it's an additional rider you have to add, but basically if your work refuses to let you go they just write a letter stating such and you send it into travel insurance. There might be some specific work reasons too, depends on the coverage. I know insuremytrip.com gives you an option to select plans that have coverage for work reasons.

Jan 6, 2015
I've seen some that have coverage for work excuses. (I forget the term they use.) Not every plan has it and sometimes it's an additional rider you have to add, but basically if your work refuses to let you go they just write a letter stating such and you send it into travel insurance. There might be some specific work reasons too, depends on the coverage. I know insuremytrip.com gives you an option to select plans that have coverage for work reasons.
This from their Cancel for Work Reason page:

"Also, it will not cover you against the possibility of getting a job . . ."​

Does that apply when you already have a new job? I am guessing so, but one would have to call them. And it may be too late to apply.

FYI, I have successfully done what AMA suggested. They understood that I had previously booked a non-refundable trip and since my start date was not critical, I was able to go with their permission . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A cancel for any reason policy would.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I hope you can ask your new employer for a couple days off ... isn't that Memorial Day weekend? Often bosses are more accommodating to new hires with existing conflicts than they would be to their regular employees. Surely worth a try.

Mar 23, 2015
Every new job I've started has been flexible about about vacations I've already had in the the works, especially those that required travel. Many employers will allow you to "go in the hole" with vacation time accrual if you ask. It can't hurt. Good Luck!

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Every new job I've started has been flexible about about vacations I've already had in the the works, especially those that required travel. Many employers will allow you to "go in the hole" with vacation time accrual if you ask. It can't hurt. Good Luck!
This is true for a lot of people, but best discussed during the negotiation phase. Might be a little hard to pull this information out of your hat now, but is worth a try.

Dec 17, 2018
That's a very short trip. Have you asked your new job if you could just take those three days as unpaid time off?
Seriously... most of the time when you get a new job, you can just tell them "Hey... I had a prepaid vacation already booked. Do you mind if I take it?" It's part of the negotiation process. I would ask the new job and just take the days unpaid if they say yes. If they don't agree... well...... maybe I wouldn't want to work there.

Dec 17, 2018
This is true for a lot of people, but best discussed during the negotiation phase. Might be a little hard to pull this information out of your hat now, but is worth a try.
Unfortunately, this is true (which I also wrote above... it's part of the negotiation process). But yes, still worth asking. And I feel like any decent company would allow this, considering it was prepaid already and it's not a long period of time.