Trip Insurance with Allianz

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 13, 2018
Two couples were traveling for 2 weeks to a Cozumel resort. One of the men gets Non-Hodgins Lymphoma, and cancels their trip, and gets a refund with the Allianz Trip Insurance. The other couple (myself and my husband), would like to cancel too. Allianz keeps asking us for more and more documentation. Shouldn't we be covered?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It depends. It depends on the policy you bought and what it covers. Not all cover a traveling companion and some consider a traveling companion someone you are sharing a room with. Did you have your own rooms? You would need to get your friends doctor to certify that he is unable to travel for you to send to the insurance company for your claim. They need proof that your friend was told by his doctor he cannot travel. Is that what they are asking you for?

What are they asking you for?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Allianz considers this a traveling companion from their policies:

Traveling Companion
is a person traveling with You and who shares the same accommodations as You

If you aren't sharing the room - you probably won't get a refund. You should just go on the trip with your husband.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you read your contract and you should be covered for cancellation, just keep sending them the docs they request. This is an old trick that insurance companies use to make claimants go away. They just keep asking, you keep on sending. Some people give up. If you are covered, eventually they'll pay.

Mar 23, 2015
If you are just two couples who are friends and happened to want to take a vacation together, you're probably out of luck. In your case the cancellation reason isn't illness or injury it's "we don't want to go anymore" so unless your specific insurance coverage is "for any reason" you aren't going to get anything. But, it never hurts to ask ... I personally would just go on a lovely vacation with my husband. Have you tried contacting your hotel and air providers to see if you can just get a credit to rebook for later when/if your friends CAN go? Good Luck!

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you are just two couples who are friends and happened to want to take a vacation together, you're probably out of luck. In your case the cancellation reason isn't illness or injury it's "we don't want to go anymore" so unless your specific insurance coverage is "for any reason" you aren't going to get anything. But, it never hurts to ask ... I personally would just go on a lovely vacation with my husband. Have you tried contacting your hotel and air providers to see if you can just get a credit to rebook for later when/if your friends CAN go? Good Luck!
Given the diagnosis of the traveling companion, there is no time frame that can be reliably predicted as to when the other person could travel. And it probably would not be for more than a year.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The airlines and hotels generally don’t refund companion travelers for this reason- this couple can still travel.

If they weren’t sharing a room, they would have needed Cancel for Any Reason coverage and even those don’t reimburse in full anymore.

I hope they didn’t cancel the trip already.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@RealtorLady It all depends on which policy you bought and the exact language

For example: From a random policy Allianz Policy I grabbed
"Covered reasons:
1. You or a traveling companion becomes ill or injured, or develops a medical condition. The following conditions apply: a. The illness, injury, or medical condition must be disabling enough to make a reasonable person cancel their trip; and b. A doctor advises you or a traveling companion to cancel your trip before you cancel it. If that isn’t possible, a doctor must either examine or consult with you or the traveling companion within 72 hours after the cancellation to confirm the decision to cancel."

Traveling companion: A person or service animal (as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act) traveling with you or traveling to accompany you on your trip. A group or tour leader is not considered a traveling companion unless you are sharing the same room with the group or tour leader. "

In this case, you might be able to argue that the other couple are travelling companions.... but it all depends on what your policy states

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Andbthey
@RealtorLady It all depends on which policy you bought and the exact language

For example: From a random policy Allianz Policy I grabbed
"Covered reasons:
1. You or a traveling companion becomes ill or injured, or develops a medical condition. The following conditions apply: a. The illness, injury, or medical condition must be disabling enough to make a reasonable person cancel their trip; and b. A doctor advises you or a traveling companion to cancel your trip before you cancel it. If that isn’t possible, a doctor must either examine or consult with you or the traveling companion within 72 hours after the cancellation to confirm the decision to cancel."

Traveling companion: A person or service animal (as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act) traveling with you or traveling to accompany you on your trip. A group or tour leader is not considered a traveling companion unless you are sharing the same room with the group or tour leader. "

In this case, you might be able to argue that the other couple are travelling companions.... but it all depends on what your policy states
That’s correct- they have multiple policies with different definitions. Policies through a tour operator can be different than individual.

If you could post a link to the policy you bought we would be able to assist better.

Sep 13, 2018
It depends. It depends on the policy you bought and what it covers. Not all cover a traveling companion and some consider a traveling companion someone you are sharing a room with. Did you have your own rooms? You would need to get your friends doctor to certify that he is unable to travel for you to send to the insurance company for your claim. They need proof that your friend was told by his doctor he cannot travel. Is that what they are asking you for?

What are they asking you for?
I have sent the Doctor's letter to them. The insurance covers me or a traveling companion. It does not define traveling companion, except to say it does not included a Tour Guide. My husband and I were traveling with his "brother" and his wife. They are not really brothers, except that they have the exact same birthdate. Anyway, our friend got cancer. We would never have booked that resort (that they like 'cause they dive), nor have decided to spend 2 whole weeks without them. We would prefer to book a different resort. We'd be happy to stay with one of Cheap Caribbean's options.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have sent the Doctor's letter to them. The insurance covers me or a traveling companion. It does not define traveling companion, except to say it does not included a Tour Guide. My husband and I were traveling with his "brother" and his wife. They are not really brothers, except that they have the exact same birthdate. Anyway, our friend got cancer. We would never have booked that resort (that they like 'cause they dive), nor have decided to spend 2 whole weeks without them. We would prefer to book a different resort. We'd be happy to stay with one of Cheap Caribbean's options.
Do you have a link to the actual detailed policy? Each policy has a list of definitions and we need to see the definition that the policy has.

A group policy might work in your favor. Was this Cheap Caribbean’s insurance? Their standard insurance is through a company called Stonebridge and might cover you as this is their definition of a traveling companion: up to 3 people traveling with you.

Have you actually canceled the trip? You usually cannot file a claim unless you cancel.

Yes, you must get a statement from your friends doctor that stated your friend can’t travel due to his diagnosis.

If you haven’t canceled, I would urge you to see about changing your trip to somewhere you want to go. It would mean change fees for the air but if it’s earky enough you might not be charged a cancellation fee by the hotel.

Please send us a link to the actual insurance policy.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I understand that you'd not want to do this particular trip without your friends, what an awful diagnosis this is, I'm so sorry. If the insurance is not forthcoming, I think your best bet is to work with your booking service and see if you can move the funds over to book a trip that you will enjoy. Polite, patient and persistent is what we advise, and I wish you good luck to get this settled.

Feb 11, 2018
Did you actually claim the friend is your husband's brother? Could constitute fraud. Just a thought...

I understand that you'd not want to do this particular trip without your friends, what an awful diagnosis this is, I'm so sorry. If the insurance is not forthcoming, I think your best bet is to work with your booking service and see if you can move the funds over to book a trip that you will enjoy. Polite, patient and persistent is what we advise, and I wish you good luck to get this settled.
Good advice. Allianz came through!

Thanks for your help. Allianz came through!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s great news.

This show the importance of buying insurance and making sure you have the right policy. Some policies consider “travel companions” as people sharing a room and some as only tea fling with you. The same travel insurance company can offer very different policies too. Read the details- you should be able to click on a link when buying a policy that will take you to the actual pamphlet with details.

There is a page with definitions - make sure you review them.