Trip insurance and pilots strike?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 30, 2016
Hello~

I just bought trip insurance for a cruise this October. At about the same time, I saw an article saying that Spirit pilots are voting as to whether or not they will strike, after a couple of years of contract negotiation. Needless to say, we booked our Spirit flights last week.
I asked the place where I bought my trip insurance if my flight got cancelled because of a strike, if a new flight would be covered by the trip insurance? I was informed that 'they were considering striking, it would not be unforeseen and therefore not covered by the policy.'
My argument would be that they are taking a vote to consider a strike, not that they are planning a strike! Granted, I am probably putting the cart before the horse, but I would rather be ahead of the game, instead of behind the 8 ball.
Can you all please tell me whether or not I should cancel this insurance and/or if this sounds right?!

TIA!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I was with you until that last line, Maddy. Why would you 'cancel' the insurance? Can you even do that? And if so, why?

If the pilots strike, the airline will make an effort to reaccommodate its passengers. With an airline like Spirit, that could mean almost anything, but if their pilots go out, I'd say they'd pretty much stop flying.

How you should proceed is a matter of your risk tolerance. Some people could go down to a week before the departure before worrying about it. Others would cancel and rebook their tix on another airline. I'm with the latter group ... years ago I was holding tix London-Roma on Alitalia. The minute I heard about their financial problems I cancelled and rebooked with British Air. Alitalia is still flying, so I wasted my money. But I couldn't possibly deal with that kind of worry, so best to get it out of the way. and forget about my $300. There is also the tix cost factor ... if Spirit goes out, their competition will be hiking fares as high as possible.

At this point, all I know for sure is that you should be sure to arrive the day before your cruise, not fly in that morning. Same with the return, leisurely disembark the ship, spend the night at a local hotel and fly back happily the next day without stress. This way if there is an issue with a flight or the ship, it will be annoying, but not cause you to miss your cruise or your flight back home.

Oct 30, 2016
Thank you for your response and thoughts. I thought I read that I had a 14 day 'free look' at the policy and could cancel before that time. Yes, our plan is to fly in the day before and leave the day after the cruise.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your mistake was booking Spirit in the first place because they have so few flights anyway so just in the course of business you could have your flight canceled regardless of a strike. I would have gone in two days earlier just because you were flying Spirit. Have you checked the onetime performance if the flight you are taking?

It is not that easy for pilots to strike here in the US but the pilots can call in sick and attempt a slow down.

That said since you heard about a possible strike when you bought the policy the insurance company is correct- its not an unforeseen occurance if it's being talked about now.

But that doesn't mean you can't try and catch the ship and put in a claim for the expenses to get to your first stop on the cruise. Did you ask if they would cover your extra expenses to meet the ship? I would call and ask that.

I also would NOT cancel the policy. What happens if you fall and break your leg a week before you travel? What happens if you get ill on the ship and have to be airlifted off the ship?
Have you called your health insurance company to ask if you have health coverage outside the US? Insurance covers a lot more than just whether there is a pilot strike or not.