trip ins.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 21, 2019
We are going on Princess cruise in Feb 2020. We have been looking at Travel guard and Princess trip protection. Our Medicap ins emerg. only-what do you recommend?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Go to insuremytrip.com where you can compare multiple companies and their insurance plans. You are smart to get a trip insurance policy. It will cover you for more than just health issues but also trip delay, lost luggage, etc.

Jul 30, 2018
I am so glad to hear you are being proactive and shopping for trip insurance! An extremely high percentage of the posts on this forum involve travel snafus that could have been mitigated with travel insurance. Insuremytrip.com has always been my go-to.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I post the following periodically when questions such as yours arise. These are my summary notes from prior insurance research/purchases.

The basic policies, or "lite" as they are often labeled, will offer limited coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, and travel delays. But too often they fail to meet the needs of travelers due to their restricted coverages.

So called "Comprehensive" policies offer additional coverages that may include:

Cancel for Any Reason, Financial Default, Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Waiver
Primary Medical Coverage, Hospital of Choice, and Emergency Medical Evacuation

Of these coverages, the ones that travelers most often end up needing but not obtaining are Cancel for Any Reason, Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Waiver, and Emergency Medical Evacuation. Refunds for all or part of a trip without these three "comprehensive" coverages is nearly impossible when basic cioverage falls short. And they are time sensitive in that they must be purchased within 10-30 days of your first deposit (depending on the policy.

For cruises and international travel, I recommend a comprehensive policy that includes all of the above items. A medical evacuation alone can exceed $100,000, and there are too many other points of failure to choose a more restrictive plan. The cost is typically 5-10 percent of the pre-paid, non-refundables. If you or any member of your family has health issues (whether or not they are traveling), I suggest a plan with Cancel for Any Reason. And if they are traveling, I recommend Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Waiver. You might also consider Cancel for Any Reason if your pre-paid, non-refundable expenses are high ($1,500 or more). You will glad to have these when your "best laid plans" go awry.

InsureMyTrip and QuoteWright have helpful lists of the various types of insurance coverages. After you review these, if you are interested in a purchase, I strongly recommend you speak with an agent as they can best match a policy to your specific needs. We prefer InsureMyTrip and have purchased the Trip Protector Plus policy from Travel Insured.

Also see: https://www.squaremouth.com/travel-advice/why-you-should-buy-travel-insurance-early/

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We are going on Princess cruise in Feb 2020. We have been looking at Travel guard and Princess trip protection. Our Medicap ins emerg. only-what do you recommend?
When did you pay for the cruise? If it was more than 1-3 weeks ago you may have missed the window for insurance that insures pre-existing medical conditions.

You also need to review your medical insurance coverage very closely. Most US medical insurance (including Medicare) does NOT cover anything outside the US.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/the-right-travel-insurance.1283/
https://www.travelersunited.org/cru...mpaign=Feed:+travunited+(TravelersUnited.org)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Third party insurance will always offer you higher coverage than the cruise lines and if you are flying to the cruise, most cruise line policies don’t cover the air if booked outside the cruise line. The only time the cruise line insurance may work our better is if you ate age 70 or over. Then the pricing is often less than third party.

Sep 20, 2015
I often use Costco for trip insurance. They seem to get the gold policy for the aluminum price.

Also, if you're traveling significantly outside the States (think Caribbean), I would definitely want good insurance that has evacuation coverage should there be a serious injury or illness.

Jul 30, 2018
I often use Costco for trip insurance. They seem to get the gold policy for the aluminum price.

Also, if you're traveling significantly outside the States (think Caribbean), I would definitely want good insurance that has evacuation coverage should there be a serious injury or illness.
Costco has trip insurance? That's so cool, thanks for the tip.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm lazy, so I just call Travel Ins Center in Omaha and they tell me what I need. Now that Chase has such good travel benes in their Sapphire cards, I rarely need any more coverage.

May 30, 2019
I'm lazy, so I just call Travel Ins Center in Omaha and they tell me what I need. Now that Chase has such good travel benes in their Sapphire cards, I rarely need any more coverage.
I also have a Sapphire Card (Reserve). Their coverage appears to me to be great for air and land travel, but does not cover ship-specific potential issues, i.e. evacuation or other medical needs.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You also need to verify the max they might pay out. We had a customer who insisted her credit card insurance was fine for a $13,000 river cruise. She sent the actual policy to my wife to look over and my wife discovered the maximum amount of coverage was $3500. When she notified the client, client booked third party coverage. It was a good thing because two weeks before they were to leave the husband developed pneumonia and they had to cancel.

If they hadn’t bought the third party policy they would have been out $10,000.

Apr 23, 2018
Go to insuremytrip.com where you can compare multiple companies and their insurance plans. You are smart to get a trip insurance policy. It will cover you for more than just health issues but also trip delay, lost luggage, etc.
Is OP in USA? I am in Canada so insuremytrip doesn't work for me.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I also have a Sapphire Card (Reserve). Their coverage appears to me to be great for air and land travel, but does not cover ship-specific potential issues, i.e. evacuation or other medical needs.
Very true, Skippy ... I forgot to add that I've had MedJet Emergency Evac coverage forever. And my health insurance covers 80%. And it goes without saying that anyone relying on travel insurance through a credit card needs to read everything carefully. Before every trip. It's important to know what you want to "self-insure" if you're a frequent traveller.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
This is an ideal scenario, I think, in which to analyze the options in a risk/reward manner. Credit card benefits vary widely, and offer advantages that may suit one card holder but not another. For example:
  • Those cards with no annual fee may offer "cash back", but limited travel benefits. Many do not cover foreign transaction fees (3%).
  • The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is $95 annually and covers the foreign transaction fee and also Emergency Medical Evacuation
  • The Chase Reserve card is $450 annually, but offers up to $300 in travel credits. Coverage matches the Preferred card (two items mentioned)
These, and other sources of information, are important considerations for travelers:
  • Younger travelers can purchase third-party Trip Insurance for far less than the same coverage for "seniors".
  • To offset the annual fee for the Preferred card, purchases abroad would have to total $3,000 or more in any one year (saves $100)
  • Card types can only be changed after 1 year
So, for younger or infrequent travelers, a no-fee card might be adequate. For frequent travelers, older travelers, or those who anticipate larger dollar purchases overseas, a fee-based card might make more sense.

Anecdote: I believe the Emergency Evacuation coverage is $100,000 for the two fee-based cards listed above.

May 30, 2019
I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card and thankfully have not had to use it for Medical coverage. My understanding is that it does cover evacuation, if needed for cruise passengers. Where do you see it doesn't?
@suek46, you provided a screenprint of the summary. I suggest you download the detail documents and call/or with that specific question. I was told when I called that evacuation for cruise passengers was not covered. I never discount the possibility that I received incorrect information.