Trip Advisor/Getaroom won't honor modification to reservation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 22, 2018
I booked a three night stay in Barcelona on Trip Advisor/getaroom and paid more in order to have the free cancellation option. My email confirmation shows in three places" to cancel or modify your reservataion" either click or call with customer service numbers. Wanting to delete the last night of my reservation, I attempted to modify and was informed by getaroom that modifications were not allowed. The three night reservation would have to be cancelled and re-booked at the current rate of $100 a night more than my booking. Since my written confirmation indicated three times I could modify my reservation I feel this is unfair. I understand the hotel has the right to make their policies but they were not explained and intentionally misleading in the confirmation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Can you post a copy of the confirmation you got here? We need to see what the confirmation says. Please remove any booking numbers or identifying information for you before posting.

Are you sure the reservation said you can modify with no cost? What was the latest date on your confirmation to cancel without being charged a penalty?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Neil is asking extremely good questions. Advising on how to extricate people from a negative situation relies on very precise details. They will help us come up with the correct path for you to follow for some relief.

Mar 22, 2018
Your reservation is confirmed.Your hotel reservation at Nouvel is confirmed.

Confirmation Number:
- Modify your booking

View or modify your booking with
To cancel or change your booking call getaroom at 855-680-3248, or go to My Bookings to manage your booking on TripAdvisor
Modify your booking
Cancel your bookingIf you are not getting the help you need, call TripAdvisor at 1-800-753-7914, or +1-857-288-1073 if you are calling from overseas.

Total: 569.93 USD, 4.32 EURCancellation Policy: Each room in this reservation is subject to the hotel's cancellation policy which is: Cancellations before 04/30/2018, 12:59 AM (Europe/Madrid) are fully refundable. Bookings cancelled after 04/30/2018, 12:59 AM (Europe/Madrid) are subject to a fee of 1 night's room and tax. There is no refund for no-shows, early checkouts, or cancellations after 05/06/2018, 10:00 AM (Europe/Madrid).getaroom will charge your card prior to your stay.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are correct - according to this, cancellations before 4/39 are fully refundable. If it were me- I would cancel and rebook somewhere else.

If does state “cancellations are fully refundable” but it doesn’t say modifications can be made free.

We don’t recommend these discount booking sites and this is why. There is always a hook somewhere.

We have company contacts on top of our pages you can try contacting TripAdvisor but I think they are going to throw it back to the third party site.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Ah, the devil is in the details. I went through their terms and conditions- while you can cancel, they do not make changes or modifications:

Method for Making Changes or Cancellations

Travel Agent does not change or modify existing nights to reservations. You can cancel your reservation either online at our Travel Agent Site, or by calling our customer services number 800-468-3578. Select Option 1. You may add additional services to an existing reservation provided the services desired are still available, and under the terms that are available at the time of the modification. For example, adding a night to an existing reservation for a hotel room, condo, or house, can be accomplished by creating a new reservation for your requested nights.

You may be able to change your guest name, requested bed type, smoking preferences, special requests, accessibility options, room types and number of guests by contactingTravel Agent. You may be able to change your requested type of car reserved, and request special modifications to your reservation such as infant car seats and GPS services. However, please note our suppliers may impose other change and/or cancellation fees, depending on the nature of the request. Charges vary by reservation, dates and occupants, so please review your confirmation email or contact Travel Agent for details.

If I were you, I’d cancel, get my money back and run away from this company. Their terms are awful. They might have done you a favor.

Book directly with the hotel. This stinks.

Mar 22, 2018
If my confirmation didn't use the word modify or change four times I would agree that I didn't have that option. But at the least it is very misleading to send a confirmation that gives instructions on how the modify or change the reservation and then refuses to abide by that. Unfortunately rebooking two nights now will be more than throwing away the extra night.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If my confirmation didn't use the word modify or change four times I would agree that I didn't have that option. But at the least it is very misleading to send a confirmation that gives instructions on how the modify or change the reservation and then refuses to abide by that. Unfortunately rebooking two nights now will be more than throwing away the extra night.
That's the beauty of an online booking service, Glory ... they couldn't care less if they mislead you or not. TripAdvisor is a very well-known brand name for REVIEWS of travel. They just decided to cash in on their "brand name" by letting some online booking service hang on their coattails. It's disgusting, but that's the internet.