Travelocity scams small airport customers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 15, 2018
Unless one lives in a large city with direct international airline accommodations at their airport, Tucson customers using Travelocity for international flights will be charged extra on Travelocity's "NO BOOKING FEE" policy. Why? Because, as a non-hub airport, Tucson fliers will fly a sister airline to the closest international airport; and will be charged a fee for using more than one airline!! Despite Delta being Korean Airline's sister airline, I was charged by Travelocity for using Delta in order to transfer to Korean Air. My complaint to Travelocity was met with, "Sorry, we do not give refunds after 24 hours from booking a flight." Should the FAA be advised of this?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have neve heard of this. Can you show us where this states they charge extra? Where are you flying to?

Small airports don’t have the capacity to have every airline fly to them. Many airports, even major ones, require you to book connecting flights depending on where you are flying to. It’s just the way it is. I use JFK but I can’t fly to
Africa directly - I have to book a flight to Amsterdam or Dubai or another hub to get a local airline to take me to Africa. That’s just how flights work and it’s no different than what you are seeing.

Have you ever flown before? This is not an FAA issue because it’s simply how flying works.

May 15, 2018
Not written anywhere, that I've been able to find. The reply from Travelocity by phone was that the fee is a "second carrier" fee. The flight was booked with Korean Air; the itinerary reads, "Korean Air Flight# 7250 operated by /SKYWEST DBA DELTA CONNECTION" for my Tucson to LAX where I transfer to Korean Air to Seoul, and then via yet another airline to Ulaanbatar, Mongolia. The $13.10 fee was charged to my credit card by Travelocity on their "No Booking Fee" promise.

May 15, 2018
Shown on my credit card statement as a separate charge Merchant Name - Travelocity, charge of $13.10. Then, separately, is my charge from Delta Air for the entirety of my RT trip Tucson to Ulaanbatar. Like you, I haven't heard of this, haven't had a decent explanation. I just now emailed a Liz Gorton, Director (I assume)of Customer Services at Expedia (which bought out Travelocity recently). Whether or not Expedia will assume responsibility for (what was formerly) Travelocity behavior is yet unknown. I'd like to learn if this is a matter [albeit, small one] for the FAA to look into?

Jul 27, 2016
I use JFK but I can’t fly to
Africa directly - I have to book a flight to Amsterdam or Dubai or another hub to get a local airline to take me to Africa.
Slightly off topic, but you can fly to Africa directly (Lagos, Accra, Dakar, Joburg, Cairo, Casablanca, at least) from JFK.

Jul 27, 2016
Were you notified about this fee before you booked?

Expedia (and its subsidiaries like Travelocity) have no booking fee for single carrier tickets, but charge a fee for multiple carrier tickets. So long as it's disclosed before you purchase, there's nothing to object to here that I can see...

Sep 19, 2015
The FAA has nothing to do with this. This is a question of billing and the computer program.

This may be a transaction service fee for multiple carriers. What does the confirmation say? Or an additional tax from the airport?

Feb 17, 2018
It is not just going out of Tucson, even going to your destination out of ATL they list a booking fee. Where did you see a "No booking fee" promise? They did away with them for a period, but bought them back in 2014. Here is where the fee is disclosed:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you book this as round trip or one way? So I just did a mock booking TUC - LAX to Seoul - booking page does NOT show a booking fee if these are the same flights. . Did your confirmation show one when you received your email? If the screen didn't show a fee when you booked it - you have a legitimate complaint.

Trip Summary

Departure: Arrives on 11/14/2018

• Flight $1,119.00
    • Taxes & Fees $142.90
  • Booking Fee$0.00

Trip Total: $1,261.90

Nov 12, 2018
  1. From Tucson Intl. (TUS)
  2. To Incheon Intl. (I

2. To Los Angeles Intl. (LAX)
  • Delta 3556 operated by /SKYWEST DBA DELTA CONNECTION
  • Canadian Regional Jet 70070% on time
  • Economy/Coach

Layover 5h 50m stop in Los Angeles (LAX) 11:30pm to 6:00am 13h 3 Overnight arrives on Wed, Nov 14
  • From Los Angeles Intl. (LAX)
    1. To Incheon Intl. (ICN)
  • Delta 9043 operated by Korean Air
  • Airbus A380-800Breakfast
  • Economy/Coach (M)

Jul 27, 2016
Did you book this as round trip or one way? So I just did a mock booking TUC - LAX to Seoul - booking page does NOT show a booking fee if these are the same flights. . Did your confirmation show one when you received your email? If the screen didn't show a fee when you booked it - you have a legitimate complaint.

Trip Summary

Departure: Arrives on 11/14/2018

• Flight $1,119.00
    • Taxes & Fees $142.90
  • Booking Fee$0.00

Trip Total: $1,261.90

Nov 12, 2018
  2. To Incheon Intl. (I

2. To Los Angeles Intl. (LAX)
  • Delta 3556 operated by /SKYWEST DBA DELTA CONNECTION
  • Canadian Regional Jet 70070% on time
  • Economy/Coach

Layover 5h 50m stop in Los Angeles (LAX) 11:30pm to 6:00am 13h 3 Overnight arrives on Wed, Nov 14
  • From Los Angeles Intl. (LAX)
    1. To Incheon Intl. (ICN)
  • Delta 9043 operated by Korean Air
  • Airbus A380-800Breakfast
  • Economy/Coach (M)

Per the poster, they weren't going to Seoul, they were going through Seoul to Ulan Bator (capital of Mongolia).

Sep 19, 2015
I just tried a mock booking to Tucson to Ulan Bator on travelocity and got a booking fee of $10.10 --

Delta
7:05am
TUS
to
9:45pm
ULN
23h 40m, 2 stops
LAXICN
Arrives Fri, Sep 7

Sep 12, 2018

Korean Air
11:15pm
ULN
to
3:58pm
TUS
31h 43m, 2 stops
ICNLAX
Arrives Thu, Sep 13

Trip Summary

Departure: Arrives on 9/7/2018

Return: Arrives on 9/13/2018
    • Flight $1,010.00
    • Taxes & Fees $377.81
  • Booking Fee$10.10

Trip Total: $1,397.91 $1,397.91

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
I have neve heard of this. Can you show us where this states they charge extra? Where are you flying to?

Small airports don’t have the capacity to have every airline fly to them. Many airports, even major ones, require you to book connecting flights depending on where you are flying to. It’s just the way it is. I use JFK but I can’t fly to
Africa directly - I have to book a flight to Amsterdam or Dubai or another hub to get a local airline to take me to Africa. That’s just how flights work and it’s no different than what you are seeing.

Have you ever flown before? This is not an FAA issue because it’s simply how flying works.
Neil, I don't thin
Unless one lives in a large city with direct international airline accommodations at their airport, Tucson customers using Travelocity for international flights will be charged extra on Travelocity's "NO BOOKING FEE" policy. Why? Because, as a non-hub airport, Tucson fliers will fly a sister airline to the closest international airport; and will be charged a fee for using more than one airline!! Despite Delta being Korean Airline's sister airline, I was charged by Travelocity for using Delta in order to transfer to Korean Air. My complaint to Travelocity was met with, "Sorry, we do not give refunds after 24 hours from booking a flight." Should the FAA be advised of this?
I lived in Tucson for many years and flew out of there to several domestic and international airports. I always booked through the airlines directly and never was charged a fee.