Travelocity (Expedia) last minute Hotel overbooked - cancellation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 1, 2017
I booked a trip on Sept 15th 2017 from Nov 4th to Nov 11th and paid Travelocity in Full. I was notified on Nov 1st that the Hotel has informed Travelocity they’re unable to accommodate my reservation because they have overbooked their property and the room I booked is not available.

I have been unable to get a plain straight forward explanation on how my reservation made 7 weeks in advance was cancelled based on being overbooked. I was notified 3 days before my trip. I lost approximately a full days work trying to resolve this in time to travel, plus I feel like a few years of my life in panic about the trip.
I would like to really know how this can occur.

Travelocity found a cheaper, lower grade hotel which allowed me to save the lost air fare but I still have no answer and find the description on their confirmation EMAIL deceptive. It appears getting a confirmation number from the Web based Travel agent does not guarantee you have a confirmed Hotel reservation.

Nov 4, 2017 - Nov 11, 2017 | Itinerary # -------12012-- (hidden)
Your reservation is booked. No need to call us to reconfirm this reservation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The problem is when you use on OTA and the hotel is overbooked- the first rooms canceled are the ones that paid the least. Which is the OTA.

You need to call Expedia and tell them the need to find you a new hotel with similar amenities for what you paid. Call them now.

There is little you can do. This is the drawback of booking with an OTA. If you had booked directly his likely wouldn't have happened.

You may have paid Expedia but they do not pay the hotel until you leave. So the hotel doesn't actually have your money and they actually don't even get your name until a day or two before you arrive.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I booked a trip on Sept 15th 2017 from Nov 4th to Nov 11th and paid Travelocity in Full. I was notified on Nov 1st that the Hotel has informed Travelocity they’re unable to accommodate my reservation because they have overbooked their property and the room I booked is not available.

I have been unable to get a plain straight forward explanation on how my reservation made 7 weeks in advance was cancelled based on being overbooked. I was notified 3 days before my trip. I lost approximately a full days work trying to resolve this in time to travel, plus I feel like a few years of my life in panic about the trip.
I would like to really know how this can occur.

Travelocity found a cheaper, lower grade hotel which allowed me to save the lost air fare but I still have no answer and find the description on their confirmation EMAIL deceptive. It appears getting a confirmation number from the Web based Travel agent does not guarantee you have a confirmed Hotel reservation.

I am so sorry that you have to learn about how these online booking agencies (I refuse to call them travel agencies) work, Bob. They run a numbers game, spending millions on advertising, taking hundreds of thousands of bookings and betting that most of them will be fine. They book whatever you want, and don't give you much information, such as legal connection times at airports or hotels under construction and/or sold, documents you may need for your journey. They add very little value ... they just do whatever you tell them. If there are issues, the OBA tells you it will help, but in reality they're not very good at helping ... as you discovered.

Booking travel has evolved an enormous amount in the wake of the internet. Airlines, hotels, travel agents, cruise lines ... all have had to change and adapt. The OBAs seemed like a good deal after the airlines stopped paying commissions to travel agents. And perhaps they were in the early days ... I remember booking little hotels in France and Italy through OBAs because the hotels weren't able to handle online booking. But eventually every experienced traveller had their own issue with an OBA, and consequently won't use them any more.

Now nearly every travel provider has the ability to book directly, so they have decided to cut out the OBAs. The OBAs are all gobbling each other up for the economies of scale, and probably doubling down on their advertising ... hoping that ignorance will allow them to stay in business a few more years. You can't imagine the number of posts we see from travellers using an OBA with the word "cheap" in its title; you'd think that kind of OBA would be the last place someone would use. But no, they trust the OBA, and give them all their ID and credit card information!

As usual, the consumer is out in left field with a hockey puck ... it's difficult to know what's going on unless you're travelling ten times a year. For example, if you check a site such as Hilton or InterContinental, you notice that they emphasize better pricing and service by booking direct. But nobody ever tells you that the OBAs are worse than useless.

I hope you are going somewhere, somehow very soon. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions you might have ... one of our jobs is to educate the travelling public on what's really goin' on out there.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They also waive themselves from responsibility in the event of overbooking:

"The Travelscape Companies and the Travelscape Partners are not liable for the acts, errors, omissions, representations, warranties, breaches or negligence of any such suppliers or for any personal injuries, death, property damage, or other damages or expenses resulting there from. The Travelscape Companies and the Travelscape Partners have no liability and will make no refund in the event of any delay, cancellation, overbooking, strike, force majeure or other causes beyond their direct control, and they have no responsibility for any additional expenses, omissions, delays, re-routing or acts of any government or authority.
https://www.travelocity.com/p/info-other/legal.htm

R

Realitoes

You can have a confirmed reservation directly from the hotel and still get walked. Has happen to me several times. At least the hotel was being proactive and notifying Travelocity in advance, which is something I've never received booking direct. Could be something that is required under the contracted rate, rather than just walking you at the hotel.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The problem is when you use on OTA and the hotel is overbooked- the first rooms canceled are the ones that paid the least. Which is the OTA.

You need to call Expedia and tell them the need to find you a new hotel with similar amenities for what you paid. Call them now.

There is little you can do. This is the drawback of booking with an OTA. If you had booked directly his likely wouldn't have happened.

You may have paid Expedia but they do not pay the hotel until you leave. So the hotel doesn't actually have your money and they actually don't even get your name until a day or two before you arrive.
"I booked a trip on Sept 15th 2017 from Nov 4th to Nov 11th and paid Travelocity"

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
"I booked a trip on Sept 15th 2017 from Nov 4th to Nov 11th and paid Travelocity"
Not sure what your point is.

Travelocity is an online travel agency based in the Dallas, Texas area. It was founded by Sabre Corporation and is now owned by Expedia. Its core business is consumer travel.

Due to the recent acquisition of Travelocity by Expedia, we would recommend using executive contacts for Expedia for any new issues concerning Travelocity.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Not sure what your point is.

Travelocity is an online travel agency based in the Dallas, Texas area. It was founded by Sabre Corporation and is now owned by Expedia. Its core business is consumer travel.

Due to the recent acquisition of Travelocity by Expedia, we would recommend using executive contacts for Expedia for any new issues concerning Travelocity.
My point is very simple--you advised contacting Expedia when the OP had booked with Travelocity, without the above explanation. The average consumer is not aware of the fact that Expedia owns Travelocity.

Nov 20, 2015
My point is very simple--you advised contacting Expedia when the OP had booked with Travelocity, without the above explanation. The average consumer is not aware of the fact that Expedia owns Travelocity.
Your point might be helpful for someone who reads this thread in the future. That's a good thing, but I also think your first post was a bit obtuse.
At any rate, the title the OP gave the thread makes it pretty likely he already knew about the business relationship.

Travelocity (Expedia) last minute Hotel overbooked - cancellation

Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand why you lost airfare if all you had to do was find a different hotel?
I did not lose my airfare but would have if I did not book a different hotel. I booked the air fare separate from the trip - non refundable

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
You can have a confirmed reservation directly from the hotel and still get walked. Has happen to me several times. At least the hotel was being proactive and notifying Travelocity in advance, which is something I've never received booking direct. Could be something that is required under the contracted rate, rather than just walking you at the hotel.
I was actually notified by Travelocity to contact them after the Hotel said no rooms were available (3 days) before the trip. My guess, that is when Travelocity made the call to the Hotel (Sandals) and then sent me a message - Sandals claims no knowledge of any reservation ever made.

Nov 1, 2017
I am so sorry that you have to learn about how these online booking agencies (I refuse to call them travel agencies) work, Bob. They run a numbers game, spending millions on advertising, taking hundreds of thousands of bookings and betting that most of them will be fine. They book whatever you want, and don't give you much information, such as legal connection times at airports or hotels under construction and/or sold, documents you may need for your journey. They add very little value ... they just do whatever you tell them. If there are issues, the OBA tells you it will help, but in reality they're not very good at helping ... as you discovered.

Booking travel has evolved an enormous amount in the wake of the internet. Airlines, hotels, travel agents, cruise lines ... all have had to change and adapt. The OBAs seemed like a good deal after the airlines stopped paying commissions to travel agents. And perhaps they were in the early days ... I remember booking little hotels in France and Italy through OBAs because the hotels weren't able to handle online booking. But eventually every experienced traveller had their own issue with an OBA, and consequently won't use them any more.

Now nearly every travel provider has the ability to book directly, so they have decided to cut out the OBAs. The OBAs are all gobbling each other up for the economies of scale, and probably doubling down on their advertising ... hoping that ignorance will allow them to stay in business a few more years. You can't imagine the number of posts we see from travellers using an OBA with the word "cheap" in its title; you'd think that kind of OBA would be the last place someone would use. But no, they trust the OBA, and give them all their ID and credit card information!

As usual, the consumer is out in left field with a hockey puck ... it's difficult to know what's going on unless you're travelling ten times a year. For example, if you check a site such as Hilton or InterContinental, you notice that they emphasize better pricing and service by booking direct. But nobody ever tells you that the OBAs are worse than useless.

I hope you are going somewhere, somehow very soon. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions you might have ... one of our jobs is to educate the travelling public on what's really goin' on out there.

I did. Thanks very much for the info. Neither Travelocity nor Sandals would explain the reason for the sudden cancellation or the process used. Seems this is one big OTA secret which I have stumbled into. To date, only one in ten people I mentioned this too knew this.
You only learn about the process they follow when you have it happen to you. I just became the new Pied Piper of the OTA scam.

Feb 9, 2016
Sandals found guests that would pay more to stay there then Travelocity was able to get from you, that's why you got bumped. Both Travelocity and Sandals know this is the case, which is why each is blaming the other one, and claiming ignorance.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sandals found guests that would pay more to stay there then Travelocity was able to get from you, that's why you got bumped. Both Travelocity and Sandals know this is the case, which is why each is blaming the other one, and claiming ignorance.
Nobody could have said this better, SAS!