Travelocity: Bait and Switch?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
Since I never book these things online, I tested the OP's itinerary. No where did Travelocity come back and say why the price showing was higher than the price originally shown. When we book in the GDS, we get a message that a fare is higher and we can see why with the booking class. This is the danger of booking online. You don't know what you are seeing, what is being booked. In other words, you don't have a clue to what you are booking and getting. Now I didn't go through with the final needed personal information, but the price I was looking at and what was quoted went higher with no reference to why. My guess has to do with taxes, but sine hotel and air taxes would be mixed together it is impossible for me to figure this out. My vendors break this out for me, but you don't get this online.
Thank you. All taxes and fees were included. The agents, and I use the word in the plural, including supervisors, kept mentioning that it was because of the insurance, which as I pointed out was listed separately.

Aug 28, 2015
Bodega3 and Promal ...... Do you have any input about any Visa issues before Howard finds out he could be denied boarding to due government paperwork requirements?

B

bodega3

It wasn't the insurance as I never got to add that to my booking. If it was due to the air, you should be presented with that information. The fact that my booking went up in price, as yours did, says there was something else going on and it has to be taxes. But not provided that information is wrong. Why do you book with OTA's? It can't be due to service. It can't be due to price. And it certainly can be do to ease of getting a booking done when you have spent hours on this. Why don't you use a real travel agent so you know exactly what you are booking?

B

bodega3

I always use Timatic or call a visa service. Not only is Timatic a good place to look for visa information, you also need to see abut health requirements.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you. I was on the phone with them. It's almost like speaking with Gracie Allen. These people haven't got a clue, don't listen and, basically, don't care.
Howard, they are order takers only. They are not creative and don't know anything other than what is placed in front of them.

Please use a real travel agent in the future. We can match prices and often have better prices and will not book you on flights with those type of connections. I am sorry you are having such a tough time for your honeymoon but at this point just try to enjoy it.

Sep 19, 2015
Howard, they are order takers only. They are not creative and don't know anything other than what is placed in front of them.

Please use a real travel agent in the future. We can match prices and often have better prices and will not book you on flights with those type of connections. I am sorry you are having such a tough time for your honeymoon but at this point just try to enjoy it.
Thank you. I had asked about that several times and was told there were no flights out of MIA. Whether it was ignorance on their part or mine, or the software because I always mention both FLL and MIA and click on close by airports.

B

bodega3

Thank you. Even with my questioning, I received incorrect information.
You can check in on that OTA's website site, as I found it and got the lower pricing. Please consider a local travel agent for future bookings. With a double connection and winter travel, you really want less connections.

Mar 4, 2015
If the higher price had to do with taxes as many here believe, then Travelocity would be in blatant violation of the Full Fare Advertising Law:

Full Fare Advertising Law
Under the DOT’s new interpretation of the Full Fare Advertising Law, when a carrier, agent or tour operator advertises the price of an airfare or package containing an airfare, they must display the full price to be paid inclusive of all taxes, surcharges and fees. 14 CFR 399.84(a).

@Howard , one way you can force Travelocity's hand to reply with an explanation is to submit a DOT complaint:
http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

Select "Travelocity.Com" as the "Airline/Company" and be sure to reference the Full Fare Advertising Law in your complaint.

I also recommend you download a free screen video capture program (if you don't already have one) and reproduce your booking up to the payment page to a video file. Attach this file to your complaint to prove the issue.

I remember my mother in law calling me up when her husband was alive - they were literally about to purchase a package with air to a cruise in the med [from Iowa] and they wanted to know if Heathrow and Gatwick were different airports or just different terminals.

Because 2 people in their mid 70's were going to purchase a ticket with an itinerary of MLI-ORD-JFK-LGW-LHR-IST to save $60 a person. Mind you flights to LHR were on United I think, and I have no idea who was flying the LGW-IST leg. . . . over buying an itinerary that was: MLI-ORD-LHR-IST with 90 min between flights - from 'AOL Travel!!'

I explained to them that these two airports were on opposite sides of the city of London and that is would take longer than 90 min to go from airport to airport ...

Why would an OTA even put together such an itinerary? Thats not even a legal connection between airports and airlines - they would have needed to re-check bags too - its amazing whats out there.

Has a friend tell me he was going to Beijing to buy suits- but was saving enough on the airfare to buy the suits and the hotel stay by going LAX-JFK-DOH-SIN-PEK on some podunk middle eastern airline with code shares galore. I think he's still enroute. I know he misconnected in both DOH and SIN.

I actually joined him for this trip - but flew N/S from LAX-PEK on Air China in business class for truly reasonable fare - and bought the 7 suits we went for - 10 shirts - all custom - $1000. took me only 4 calendar days. I met up the last day. . . . he was 36 hours late - his return was on Air New Zealand - through Shanghai and Auckland . . .. ugh.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I know, Joe, I marvel at people who can't see the forest for the trees and are constantly chasing a cheaper fare. I think it has something to do with the 'magic of travel' ... seemingly normal people go ga-ga over the fact that they can arrange a complex trip with their computer and a credit card. They are blind to the inconveniences and potential problems. They trust the airline to get them from A to B on time. And I guess mostly this does happen, so it's a self-perpetuating situation.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
This literally may be the worst routing I have ever seen. He lives near Miami, he could be in Ecuador in less than 5 hours then connect to Galapagos, for cheaper. This has him traveling for like 2 days on each end for a 1 week vacation. Just because an airline wants to put these flights out there, doesn't mean people have to choose them. People need to use common sense. If you are going in the opposite direction for 12 hours before you even turn around for your destination, then I don't even know what to say.