Travelocity: Bait and Switch?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
@Howard you should cancel this. Your hotel is only $1k for a week on other sites and you can fly round trip from Miami for $900 each and only 10 hours of traveling with sufficient layover time. That would put the package at only $3k and you would be there in half the time. I feel like you should try to get out of this and get a travel agent to help.
Funny, that's what I thought, which is why I called them originally. Except for the time, it would be a wash financially. The airline would grab me for another $600 and I would have to buy the insurance again. I felt with the Spanish population in Miami there would be flights to South America from there. I would still have to fly Delta. They don't return airfare. They consider it earned once you pay it. Between you, me and the wall, I'd rather stay home than have all this aggravation. There is no place like home!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You actually do get to choose other flights at higher prices and you should always check the connections before you book.

There may only be one seat at a lower rate which may be the reason your pricing is coming up higher when you try to book two seats. Even if it still shows the same price online I am betting when you actually go to hold the seats you'll get the same price because there aren't 2 seats left at the lowest price shown.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Did you file the lowest price guarantee claim? I saw a cheaper price on booking.com- cheaper than the one you found initially. That price meets all the criteria for the claim.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@bodega3 makes the most important point- you need a detailed itinerary of every tax, fee, etc. When I book a trip I expect to receive an itinerary that confirms the size of my bed and whether there are eggs with the free breakfast. I am slightly exaggerating but not by much. That's the only way to evaluate whether this is a good deal. Your trip definitely falls into the advanced category of travel planning, and it's a honeymoon. Travelocity really should step up here and have someone call you to answer your questions.

Aug 28, 2015
You actually do get to choose other flights at higher prices and you should always check the connections before you book.

There may only be one seat at a lower rate which may be the reason your pricing is coming up higher when you try to book two seats. Even if it still shows the same price online I am betting when you actually go to hold the seats you'll get the same price because there aren't 2 seats left at the lowest price shown.
I agree. That is what I also think.

Sep 19, 2015
There may be only ONE seat left in the class that produces the lower fare. Because you are flying with 2 people, the booking engine automatically places your reservation for 2 into the next price tier and the package has to cost more. Also, every time you land and connect there are airport taxes, and taxes will differ based on the airport. So it is not possible to account ahead of time for taxes.....3 stops vs 4 stops and connections, and differing airports will produce different tax add-on costs.
Thank you for your reply. However, they should not offer a complete itinerary containing an impossible connection. After my booking they were still advertising the lower rate and as I said above, currently, they are offering a price $100+ less than I paid.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for your reply. However, they should not offer a complete itinerary containing an impossible connection. After my booking they were still advertising the lower rate and as I said above, currently, they are offering a price $100+ less than I paid.
The airlines shouldn't offer those connections. That's the bigger issue. But you have the opportunity to check the connections before booking.

The reason these prices seem so cheap is because of the lousy flights. No direct and terrible connections.

You do know travel agents don't charge fees for booking a trip like this and watch your connections too, right?

Aug 28, 2015
45 minutes is a Legal connection, so they can and will offer it. It is not unheard of for itineraries to have truly impossible connections ( i.e.: next flight takes off before the first flight lands ), so it is important as a consumer to review flight details...always. Again, I think the advertised price is due to fluctuating air fare prices, and there is only one seat left at the lower class fare, so booking for 2 over rides the low fare. Or there is a glitch in the system. Certainly possible.
I absolutely and truly wish that when the final price came up higher than the advertised price, on the day you chose to book, that you stopped at that moment and called Travelocity, instead of proceeding to reserve and pay. If I was at Wal-mart and the tv was advertised for $800, but they tried to charge me $1000 at the register, then I would stop at that point, instead of paying $1000 and then asking for the refund.
I hope you enjoy your honeymoon and put this behind you, instead of letting a price problem diminish one of the key highlights and experiences in your lifetime. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and enjoy Galapagos! What a thrill!

T

travellerdan

Other than taxes, is this an example of quoting a fare from cached data but presenting a fare for purchase based on actual fares available when updating to real time to make a purchase?

Sep 19, 2015
The airlines shouldn't offer those connections. That's the bigger issue. But you have the opportunity to check the connections before booking.

The reason these prices seem so cheap is because of the lousy flights. No direct and terrible connections.

You do know travel agents don't charge fees for booking a trip like this and watch your connections too, right?
Thank you for your reply. I was on the phone with them. This was not a cheap flight. I am completely fed up with this experience.

Aug 28, 2015
Funny, that's what I thought, which is why I called them originally. Except for the time, it would be a wash financially. The airline would grab me for another $600 and I would have to buy the insurance again. I felt with the Spanish population in Miami there would be flights to South America from there. I would still have to fly Delta. They don't return airfare. They consider it earned once you pay it. Between you, me and the wall, I'd rather stay home than have all this aggravation. There is no place like home!
I hope that you feel differently by the time you take your bride on her honeymoon. I would rather be in Galapagos, than at Home! It is a good thing that comment is between "you, me and the wall" because I suggest that you not let the bride hear that you would prefer to stay home, instead of off to your honeymoon! Go and have a fabulous and romantic time!

Sep 19, 2015
45 minutes is a Legal connection, so they can and will offer it. It is not unheard of for itineraries to have truly impossible connections ( i.e.: next flight takes off before the first flight lands ), so it is important as a consumer to review flight details...always. Again, I think the advertised price is due to fluctuating air fare prices, and there is only one seat left at the lower class fare, so booking for 2 over rides the low fare. Or there is a glitch in the system. Certainly possible.
I absolutely and truly wish that when the final price came up higher than the advertised price, on the day you chose to book, that you stopped at that moment and called Travelocity, instead of proceeding to reserve and pay. If I was at Wal-mart and the tv was advertised for $800, but they tried to charge me $1000 at the register, then I would stop at that point, instead of paying $1000 and then asking for the refund.
I hope you enjoy your honeymoon and put this behind you, instead of letting a price problem diminish one of the key highlights and experiences in your lifetime. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and enjoy Galapagos! What a thrill!
Thank you. I was on the phone with them. It's almost like speaking with Gracie Allen. These people haven't got a clue, don't listen and, basically, don't care.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Thank you. I was on the phone with them. It's almost like speaking with Gracie Allen. These people haven't got a clue, don't listen and, basically, don't care.
I'm sorry to say you're not the first person to comment like that about online travel agencies.

One thing: please continue to check your airline reservations on the airline site frequently. At least weekly, and daily as time gets shorter. Check too that your seats have not changed. Flights/times can change and you want to be on top of this.

Aug 28, 2015
Thank You! You were on the phone with them, and still decided to book and reserve at a higher rate! Once more I suggest that you move forward, have a blessed wedding and a fabulous honeymoon! Congratulations once again.

Sep 19, 2015
I hope that you feel differently by the time you take your bride on her honeymoon. I would rather be in Galapagos, than at Home! It is a good thing that comment is between "you, me and the wall" because I suggest that you not let the bride hear that you would prefer to stay home, instead of off to your honeymoon! Go and have a fabulous and romantic time!
Thank you.

Sep 19, 2015
I'm sorry to say you're not the first person to comment like that about online travel agencies.

One thing: please continue to check your airline reservations on the airline site frequently. At least weekly, and daily as time gets shorter. Check too that your seats have not changed. Flights/times can change and you want to be on top of this.
Thank you. I'll be on top of them. As Mulder said, "Trust no one." This never happens on a cruise.

B

bodega3

Other than taxes, is this an example of quoting a fare from cached data but presenting a fare for purchase based on actual fares available when updating to real time to make a purchase?
Since I never book these things online, I tested the OP's itinerary. No where did Travelocity come back and say why the price showing was higher than the price originally shown. When we book in the GDS, we get a message that a fare is higher and we can see why with the booking class. This is the danger of booking online. You don't know what you are seeing, what is being booked. In other words, you don't have a clue to what you are booking and getting. Now I didn't go through with the final needed personal information, but the price I was looking at and what was quoted went higher with no reference to why. My guess has to do with taxes, but sine hotel and air taxes would be mixed together it is impossible for me to figure this out. My vendors break this out for me, but you don't get this online.