Traveling with toddler, forced to board last, forced to check only carry-on when there was an empty overhead bin.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How far up the executive chain have you gone - have you reached the top? The letter is interesting in explaining how they determine when to start forcing gate checks. However, it still didn't answer why you weren't permitted to board with the baby and asked to step aside. However, I really think you should have left the discrimination claim out - that tends to turn people off immediately. The issue is the gate agents ignored your request to pre-board. Had they done that you most likely would not have had the broken items.

Have you gone as far as the CEO?

Mar 14, 2018
How far up the executive chain have you gone - have you reached the top? The letter is interesting in explaining how they determine when to start forcing gate checks. However, it still didn't answer why you weren't permitted to board with the baby and asked to step aside. However, I really think you should have left the discrimination claim out - that tends to turn people off immediately. The issue is the gate agents ignored your request to pre-board. Had they done that you most likely would not have had the broken items.

Have you gone as far as the CEO?
She said didn't request or attempt to preboard with the child--That's really not the issue.

Here's her issue as near as I can tell:
  • At the time she tried to board, they were no longer accepting large carryons.
  • She asked AA to verify there was no space, but they wouldn't. (unsurprising since the aisles would be full of passengers.)
  • She didn't want to gate check her bag, so she waited until boarding was complete to see if the overheads actually were full. She was told they were and gate checked the bag.
  • After boarding, she discovered that there actually was space in one overhead. AA refused to retrieve her bag from the cargo hold so she could have it on board.
  • Some valuable family heirlooms were in her checked carry-on. There was damage to the bag and the heirlooms.
  • She reported this damage 27 hours after the flight arrived
  • AA refused compensation because the damage to the luggage was normal wear and tear and the contents damage wasn't reported within 24 hours.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
She said didn't request or attempt to preboard with the child--That's really not the issue.

Here's her issue as near as I can tell:
  • At the time she tried to board, they were no longer accepting large carryons.
  • She asked AA to verify there was no space, but they wouldn't. (unsurprising since the aisles would be full of passengers.)
  • She didn't want to gate check her bag, so she waited until boarding was complete to see if the overheads actually were full. She was told they were and gate checked the bag.
  • After boarding, she discovered that there actually was space in one overhead. AA refused to retrieve her bag from the cargo hold so she could have it on board.
  • Some valuable family heirlooms were in her checked carry-on. There was damage to the bag and the heirlooms.
  • She reported this damage 27 hours after the flight arrived
  • AA refused compensation because the damage to the luggage was normal wear and tear and the contents damage wasn't reported within 24 hours.
She stated this:
At the gate, the gate agent refused to allow me and my toddler to board when it was my turn (even though their website states families with young children can pre-board).

She tried to board when it was her turn and they didn't allow her to. If they had even gone this far she might now have had to gate check the bag.

Mar 14, 2018
She stated this:
At the gate, the gate agent refused to allow me and my toddler to board when it was my turn (even though their website states families with young children can pre-board).

She tried to board when it was her turn and they didn't allow her to. If they had even gone this far she might now have had to gate check the bag.

Look at her message #21. She says she didn't try to preboard. She was using that as an example of how parents should get special consideration. I think what she means is they refused to board her with her carryon, even though she had a young child with her.

"I was boarding with the group on my pass. I mentioned their pre-boarding policy only because it further illustrates how baffling it is a parent could be treated this way by an airline that seemingly acknowledge there may be a need to pre-board.... Even though I didnt ask to pre-board, to go above and beyond would have been for her to ask if i'd like to board early. To do the bare minimum would have been for her to check immediately exactly how full the bins were, and allow me to board as usual, with my luggage.

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
She stated this:

I have discovered that if you ask the gate agent nicely if you can pre-board and give them a specific reason, they usually let you. My husband and I have trouble walking and do not want to slow down the boarding process, so I always ask nicely and explain the situation. I have never been refused.

Apr 11, 2018
I have CC'ed the CEO before. So far no further communication from customer relations.

The DOT on their website seems to think Philadelphia has jurisdiction but I will do an attorney search and try to get some pointers.

I almost feel I have an obligation to bring this to light and see if I can get justice for myself and other passengers that may have had similar treatment.

The 24-hour damage reporting rule of US airlines is ridiculous. All Nippon Airways, China Airlines of Taiwan, Air China of the PRC, Air New Zealand, Virgin Atlantic, Air Canada all have 7 day reporting time limits, for domestic flights within their own countries. Qantas has a 3 day time frame for domestic flights within Australia.

Something is seriously wrong with our airlines.