Travelguard silver insurance purchased too late by our travel agent to cover preexisting conditions

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2015
Yes, this is really confusing. I found some additional emails that my husband had. Laurie purchased the Allianz insurance without our consent. I have the email where she states she made the mistake. It too had the initial deposit date of 2/3/2015. I have attached the email where she admits the mistake she made. I have also attached the insurance quote where the initial deposit date was wrong. I also have the email that states that she would look into the Travelguard when she got back into the office the next week.
That is all I have to say. I will be glad to summarize everything that has happened if someone wants me to.
To:****msn.com
Subject: RE: Your Travel Insurance Request (ref:****001)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 14:51:10 +0000

Morning Nick,

This insurance has been cancelled and refunded back to the card. Sorry for the confusion. I had 4 policies to put though and I had you on the list in error. All set!

Laurie

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:22 AM
To: Laurie White
Subject: Fwd: Your Travel Insurance Request (ref ****001)

Laurie,

We did not order this! I believe your inquiry to them about insurance went further than either of us wanted. WE DO NOT WANT THIS INSURANCE AND DID NOT SPECIFICALLY ORDER IT.

Please inform Allianz.

Thanks,

Nick

Email that shows the policy with the incorrect initial deposit date.
Date: February 5, 2015 at 4:32:44 PM MST
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Nick, protect your trip with Travel Insurance.
Reply-To:
[email protected]

Agency Contact Information:
STERLING TRAVEL
4980 VERDUGO WAY
CAMARILLO, CA 93012-8632
(805) 987-3425
(805) 987-8031 FAX
[email protected]

Hi Nick,
Attached is the Insurance quote.
Laurie

Click here, or call me at the above phone number, to protect your travel investment today with Travel Insurance from Allianz Global Assistance.*

Allianz Global Assistance Travel Insurance offers 24-hour protection against a wide-range of covered reasons on every continent around the globe. It can reimburse your prepaid expenses if you have to cancel your trip, provide emergency medical transportation if you need help, cover the cost of lost or damaged luggage and much more.

Below are the details of your quote:

Traveler‎(‎s‎) ‎Details‎:‎

Name of Insured‎

Age or Date of Birth‎

Nicholas Robinson

(Date of birth was shown)

Donna Robinson

(date of birth was shown)

Trip Details‎:‎

The initial date of deposit for the trip‎:‎

02/03/2015

The trip will begin on‎:‎

06/17/2015

Total Trip Cost‎:‎

$23,246.00

The trip will end on‎:‎

06/26/2015

Benefits provided per person by Venture Plan:

Baggage Coverage

$500.00

Baggage Delay

$300.00

Change Fee Coverage

$250.00

Concierge

Included

Missed Connection

$500.00

Emergency Medical Transportation

$300,000.00

Emergency Medical/Dental Coverage

$25,000.00

Trip Cancellation

$12,000.00

Travel Delay

$600.00

Trip Interruption

$18,000.00

Frequent Flyer Miles Redeposit Fee

$250.00

24 Hour Hotline Assistance Plus

Included

The cost for this quote for all travelers is‎:‎

$2,369.00

For you convenience, I have attached a copy of an Allianz Global Assistance Travel Insurance quote to this email. Please print it for your records, and click here to purchase it today.

Thank you,
Laurie White

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
OK, so this brings up even more errors. Looks like the TA definitely showed Feb 3 as the deposit date ... is it possible that YOU paid her on Feb 2 and she did not process it until Feb 3? This one day makes a whole lot of difference, as you know.

Also, her email where she acknowledges goofing on ordering the Allianz policy is important information. That conflicts with what the agency manager said in her email (Agent Laurie ordering the policy in error is not addressed by the agency manager).

Here's a copy (from your previous post) of a portion of the email you received from the agency manager with your new information compared in BOLD (bolding mine)

It appears to me, with your statement in the letter you sent, you were aware that preexisting conditions insurance coverage must be purchased within 15 days of the initial deposit payment in order to be valid. Our records show you gave Laurie your credit card on the 2nd of February and she called it in to the cruise line the same day. (Agent Laurie put Feb 3 as the date of deposit on the insurance order). On February 5th (a Thursday) Laurie sent you a quote for Allianz Insurance, our recommended travel insurance company, which you approved (Is there proof you approved this on that date?). Laurie purchased that insurance on February 9th (a Monday) and forwarded the confirmation to you. At this time you were fully covered for preexisting conditions. On February 10th you contacted Laurie and cancelled the insurance.
(On Feb 10 you emailed Laurie and told her to cancel the Allianz insurance ... this is VERY different from just cancelling the insurance).

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yes, this is really confusing. I found some additional emails that my husband had. Laurie purchased the Allianz insurance without our consent. I have the email where she states she made the mistake. It too had the initial deposit date of 2/3/2015. I have attached the email where she admits the mistake she made. I have also attached the insurance quote where the initial deposit date was wrong. I also have the email that states that she would look into the Travelguard when she got back into the office the next week.
That is all I have to say. I will be glad to summarize everything that has happened if someone wants me to.
To:****msn.com
Subject: RE: Your Travel Insurance Request (ref:****001)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 14:51:10 +0000

Morning Nick,

This insurance has been cancelled and refunded back to the card. Sorry for the confusion. I had 4 policies to put though and I had you on the list in error. All set!

Laurie

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:22 AM
To: Laurie White
Subject: Fwd: Your Travel Insurance Request (ref ****001)

Laurie,

We did not order this! I believe your inquiry to them about insurance went further than either of us wanted. WE DO NOT WANT THIS INSURANCE AND DID NOT SPECIFICALLY ORDER IT.

Please inform Allianz.

Thanks,

Nick

Email that shows the policy with the incorrect initial deposit date.
Date: February 5, 2015 at 4:32:44 PM MST
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Nick, protect your trip with Travel Insurance.
Reply-To:
[email protected]

Agency Contact Information:
STERLING TRAVEL
4980 VERDUGO WAY
CAMARILLO, CA 93012-8632
(805) 987-3425
(805) 987-8031 FAX
[email protected]

Hi Nick,
Attached is the Insurance quote.
Laurie

Click here, or call me at the above phone number, to protect your travel investment today with Travel Insurance from Allianz Global Assistance.*

Allianz Global Assistance Travel Insurance offers 24-hour protection against a wide-range of covered reasons on every continent around the globe. It can reimburse your prepaid expenses if you have to cancel your trip, provide emergency medical transportation if you need help, cover the cost of lost or damaged luggage and much more.

Below are the details of your quote:

Traveler‎(‎s‎) ‎Details‎:‎

Name of Insured‎

Age or Date of Birth‎

Nicholas Robinson

(Date of birth was shown)

Donna Robinson

(date of birth was shown)

Trip Details‎:‎

The initial date of deposit for the trip‎:‎

02/03/2015

The trip will begin on‎:‎

06/17/2015

Total Trip Cost‎:‎

$23,246.00

The trip will end on‎:‎

06/26/2015

Benefits provided per person by Venture Plan:

Baggage Coverage

$500.00

Baggage Delay

$300.00

Change Fee Coverage

$250.00

Concierge

Included

Missed Connection

$500.00

Emergency Medical Transportation

$300,000.00

Emergency Medical/Dental Coverage

$25,000.00

Trip Cancellation

$12,000.00

Travel Delay

$600.00

Trip Interruption

$18,000.00

Frequent Flyer Miles Redeposit Fee

$250.00

24 Hour Hotline Assistance Plus

Included

The cost for this quote for all travelers is‎:‎

$2,369.00

For you convenience, I have attached a copy of an Allianz Global Assistance Travel Insurance quote to this email. Please print it for your records, and click here to purchase it today.

Thank you,
Laurie White
@Toby R, pasting in a bunch of emails does not help us figure out what is happening in your situation. Many of us read a dozen posts a day and cannot dissect each one in order to follow the action. It would be helpful for you to summarize all the facts chronologically and concisely. Thanks very much.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
My only question would be what the Credit Card history reflects and what Regent shows as the date of initial deposit. This is the absolute proof the Travel Insurance will hang their hat on.
What is the date of initial deposit and why the Travel Insurance company says it's different than the Travel Agent reflects.
Giving bits and pieces of info is not allowing the Advocates on this forum to do their job.
Once again why does the Travel Insurance company feel the date is different? Is it bank records or Regent records.

Oct 7, 2015
yes, I'll summarize it all tomorrow. I won't put any emails in it, as you are correct that it is difficult to sort it all out. If a person requests to see an email, then I will reply with it, otherwise I'll try to be as succinct as possible. Thanks to everyone for their patience.

I do have a question. As she purchased the first insurance, Allianz, without us asking nag her to do so or authorize that purchase, do I have any legal recourse? Yes, I have the credit card statement showing the initial cruise charge on 2/2/2015. Yes, I have the booking statement from Regent showing the initial deposit date of 2/2/2015.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
My only question would be what the Credit Card history reflects and what Regent shows as the date of initial deposit. This is the absolute proof the Travel Insurance will hang their hat on.
What is the date of initial deposit and why the Travel Insurance company says it's different than the Travel Agent reflects.
Giving bits and pieces of info is not allowing the Advocates on this forum to do their job.
Once again why does the Travel Insurance company feel the date is different? Is it bank records or Regent records.
@TobyR 's first post in this thread stated: "When I got the email from the insurance company with our policy attached, it said the initial deposit date was 2/2/2015, which was correct based on our invoice from the cruise company."

Toby does not specify WHICH insurance company this was .... Allianz (which was the policy they did not order) or Travelguard (who denied the claim).

Aug 28, 2015
I am truly confused about all the additional details. But here is one thing that stands out to me. The TA purchased Allianz insurance and listed a date of the 3rd. If any cancel happened since it was purchased within the 15 day period, it still would have been covered by Allianz. I am not able to sort out the relevance of this. I see in UPPERCASE LETTERS that this was not authorized. Where does that leave all this?

Aug 28, 2015
yes, I'll summarize it all tomorrow. I won't put any emails in it, as you are correct that it is difficult to sort it all out. If a person requests to see an email, then I will reply with it, otherwise I'll try to be as succinct as possible. Thanks to everyone for their patience.

I do have a question. As she purchased the first insurance, Allianz, without us asking nag her to do so or authorize that purchase, do I have any legal recourse? Yes, I have the credit card statement showing the initial cruise charge on 2/2/2015. Yes, I have the booking statement from Regent showing the initial deposit date of 2/2/2015.
I still think you had good solid coverage that you REQUIRED THAT THE AGENT MUST CANCEL IMMEDIATELY AS YOU DID NOT AUTHORIZE IT !

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina

I would say that since you have in writing from the agent that she mistakenly bought the Allianz policy, and since the agent put the date of Feb 3 for the deposit, at the very least the agency manager has lost part of her leg to stand on.

I'd be interested in what other TA Advocates think about that...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Toby, why did you tell the agent you didn't want the Allianz Insurance? You have 10 days from the date of purchase to cancel - you could have held that policy open if you wanted to look at other policies and canceled it for a refund when you found another. Had you done that, you wouldn't be in this position.

I am ready to give up giving any more advice here but you need to forward the agents email admitting she erred in purchasing the policy for you to the agency manager and tell her the agent erred in purchasing the policy, you didn't cancel it (but you really did by asking for the refund. The agency owner is twisting your words).

I don't know if this is going to make your case any better or worse at this point. Was there a reason you waited until the very last minute to tell the agent you wanted the other policy? What was the difference in the Allianz policy vs. the one you decided you wanted to buy?

I am sure now you wished you had just left the Allianz policy in place.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Yes, that 2k policy seems quite the bargain now. Had you not cancelled it, that would be all you paid.
@TobyR when you ask what recourse you have about that policy purchased in error- the answer is none, because it was refunded to your credit card.
It would be terrific if the agent forgot to cancel that and you never had it refunded- then you could claim under that.
Also, I am glad you came back to try and answer questions, provide detail, etc.
I think the agents mistake about the 3rd is kind of irrelevant anyway. Even if the agent put the date as the 2nd, she still was back from her trip too late to purchase it. That is not the fault of the agent unless she knew about the 15 day thing, which she is not expected to know without looking into the policy first- what she committed to do AFTER her return from vacation.
@TobyR why not just purchase it yourself if you were aware of the deadlines? once the travel agent was away, you knew it hadn't been purchased and could have done it yourself or called Darlene.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, that 2k policy seems quite the bargain now. Had you not cancelled it, that would be all you paid.
@TobyR when you ask what recourse you have about that policy purchased in error- the answer is none, because it was refunded to your credit card.
It would be terrific if the agent forgot to cancel that and you never had it refunded- then you could claim under that.
Also, I am glad you came back to try and answer questions, provide detail, etc.
I think the agents mistake about the 3rd is kind of irrelevant anyway. Even if the agent put the date as the 2nd, she still was back from her trip too late to purchase it. That is not the fault of the agent unless she knew about the 15 day thing, which she is not expected to know without looking into the policy first- what she committed to do AFTER her return from vacation.
@TobyR why not just purchase it yourself if you were aware of the deadlines? once the travel agent was away, you knew it hadn't been purchased and could have done it yourself or called Darlene.
That is where I think Toby made her mistake. Toby, knowing the agent was going away you should have picked up the phone and called the office to make sure she got the email and hadn't left yet. I don't know what else the agent could have done to avoid this situation as the more information we get, not only is it more confusing but the more it seems you are responsible for this problem, not the agent. You had a policy issued in error, your husband told her to cancel it and then you didn't purchase another in time.

As AAGK said, you should have purchased it yourself. You could have actually called the insurance company to ask if a policy had been purchased in your name and they would have told you if the agent had bought or not. You could have purchased it right then and there.
The agent purchasing the policy in error and you telling her to cancel it actually makes it worse for you, not for the agent. It shows she purchased insurance for you and you declined it. So no, you have no recourse but you made it easier for her to say you canceled the insurance you had.

Jan 8, 2015
After reading the entire thread, I'm not sure how I would proceed. The letter got back from the agent claims you purchased insurance and then cancelled, but in reality the insurance was purchased without your knowledge or consent and the email proves this.
You also asked for additional insurance within the proper time period, but when you found out the agent was on vacation, normally the logical thing to do is to just call someone else up at the agency. The consumer here needs to bear some of the blame for not purchasing insurance in the time allotted since they were aware of the schedule.

I think you need to reply to the person who denied the request explaining that the initial purchase that she claims was made was made without your knowledge or consent and attach the email to prove it. This may make them re-think their decision.

Assuming this is the same travel agent who booked the cruise, took your information and made the cruise reservation, they are 100% liable. End of story.

Now - what you need to do is check your credit card statement verify the charge for the cruise deposit went through on Feb 2. A cruise company will give a TA a couple of days here and there so they can get payment from the customer - so make SURE you cannot argue the actual payment was not made on the 3rd or later -

B

bodega3

I cab't speak for any of the other TAs on this forum but I never arrange a clients insurance. I will discuss what seems appropriate for their situation and then hand them or mail them the brochure and let them make the final choice based on their conversation with the insurance company. I am not an insurance agent nor am I an expert on travel insurance, so I don't try to act as such.
We provide the brochure or website, but we don't fill anything out with the clients either. We always recommend calling the toll free number and paying by phone. Any questions are to be asked of the insurance company. I do assist with any paperwork from our agency should they have to file a claim.

Oct 7, 2015
Working on the timeline and putting all the info together. It is going to take me til tomorrow to put it all together. Just letting you know it will be in chronological order. I am detailed oriented, everything I will include I either have printed off or in an email. As you can tell I have never been in a Forum before.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Working on the timeline and putting all the info together. It is going to take me til tomorrow to put it all together. Just letting you know it will be in chronological order. I am detailed oriented, everything I will include I either have printed off or in an email. As you can tell I have never been in a Forum before.
I think you are doing great!

Status
Not open for further replies.