Travelgenio Debacle

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
bought flights using my debit card on October 29th 2018 at 11:30am PST. I paid €1331.40. When I got my confirmation emailed I realised I had inputted the wrong departure location and booked flights that were DUB-YVR and not the ones I wanted YVR-DUB. I tried to get into contact with the company as they have a policy that allows for changes and cancellations before 12am GMT of the same day of booking. None of my calls were answered as the automated machciene dropped my calls after placing me on hold for anywhere between 6-30mins. I have proof of all of these calls and of emails I sent before 12am GMT of the same day of booking. I have since been in contact with the vendor after the 12am window of change and cancellations had closed and they said had I have contacted them before 12am the same day they could have helped me. I made every attempt I could to contact this company in order to rectify my mistake and it was due to their systems error that I could not.

My bank have launched an investigation into the case.

I have also opened a case with the airline themselves - Aerlingus - in the hopes that they could surrender the seats up for sales again, thereby releasing my funds for refund/cancellation. Because the booking was made through a third party they said that the booking is off-limits to them.

Travelgenio have now said they are in contact with Aerlingus - while Aerlingus have no record of this.

My last week has been a constant back and forth between these two companies “it’s not our problem it’s theirs” and trying to speak to a supervisor about this problem has been a right I’ve been denied on occasion.

I have logged all my correspondence with each company and have names of every representative I spoke to. I am at a loss as to why the onus of the simple silly mistake has to fall on me when I followed all of the correct guidelines to retrieve my money before a ticket was issued and the transaction was fully processed.

Hindsight is 20-20, and I now know that booking through a third party may seem cheaper but, these are not reduced rate tickets that the airline don’t offer directly. These are minimum basic fare - that are so bad and unchangeable that the airlines don’t even offer them directly.

In the US there is a law that governs travel agencies both online and in reality, stating that if a non-refundable flight is cancelled within 24hrs of booking at least 7 days before departure the flight must be refunded. This law should be in place globally to regulate these online companies and protect the consumer.

I made this stupid mistake because I was stressed about getting home for Xmas to see my family.

What's your desired resolution?
I would be grateful for either a partial refund or credit to purchase new flights.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 1300

Date of transaction/travel date: 10/29/2018

Feb 16, 2018
I searched the terms and conditions of travelgenio Canada and could not find anywhere where it is written that you have until 12 am the same day to cancel, do you have a screenshot of that?

Also it is noteworthy that third party sites like the one you used do not have to comply with the law about cancellations that you mention.

Sep 19, 2015
bought flights using my debit card on October 29th 2018 at 11:30am PST. I paid €1331.40. When I got my confirmation emailed I realised I had inputted the wrong departure location and booked flights that were DUB-YVR and not the ones I wanted YVR-DUB. I tried to get into contact with the company as they have a policy that allows for changes and cancellations before 12am GMT of the same day of booking. None of my calls were answered as the automated machciene dropped my calls after placing me on hold for anywhere between 6-30mins. I have proof of all of these calls and of emails I sent before 12am GMT of the same day of booking. I have since been in contact with the vendor after the 12am window of change and cancellations had closed and they said had I have contacted them before 12am the same day they could have helped me. I made every attempt I could to contact this company in order to rectify my mistake and it was due to their systems error that I could not.

I have also opened a case with the airline themselves - Aerlingus - in the hopes that they could surrender the seats up for sales again, thereby releasing my funds for refund/cancellation. Because the booking was made through a third party they said that the booking is off-limits to them.

Travelgenio have now said they are in contact with Aerlingus - while Aerlingus have no record of this.

My last week has been a constant back and forth between these two companies “it’s not our problem it’s theirs” and trying to speak to a supervisor about this problem has been a right I’ve been denied on occasion.

I have logged all my correspondence with each company and have names of every representative I spoke to. I am at a loss as to why the onus of the simple silly mistake has to fall on me when I followed all of the correct guidelines to retrieve my money before a ticket was issued and the transaction was fully processed.

Hindsight is 20-20, and I now know that booking through a third party may seem cheaper but, these are not reduced rate tickets that the airline don’t offer directly. These are minimum basic fare - that are so bad and unchangeable that the airlines don’t even offer them directly.

In the US there is a law that governs travel agencies both online and in reality, stating that if a non-refundable flight is cancelled within 24hrs of booking at least 7 days before departure the flight must be refunded. This law should be in place globally to regulate these online companies and protect the consumer.

I made this stupid mistake because I was stressed about getting home for Xmas to see my family.

I would be grateful for either a partial refund or credit to purchase new flights.

No the law on 24 hour cancellation on applies to booking directly with the airline.

Is there a reason you chose travelgenio which is a Spanish company?

So you did not book the wrong dates but the wrong direction?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The 24 hour law is a US law and doesn’t apply outside the US. Are you located in the US? If you search complaints about this company - there are a lot.

As my colleagues have said- it also doesn’t apply to travel agencies, only when booking directly with an airline.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
11:30 AM PST is 7:30 PM GMT. The offices you were calling in Spain were closed. Regardless of that fact, the tickets you bought seem to be "use it or lose it" fares, with no changes or refunds. Even if the airline resells the seats, you are not owed a refund.

You are dealing with "Travelgenio is a Spanish online travel agency created in 2010 by the Argentinian Mariano Pelizzari. " US laws have no bearing on them. You also appear to be in Vancouver, BC, where US laws have no application.

When are you scheduled to fly? It appears from your post that you have a few weeks until your planned trip.
You can contact Aer Lingus: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/aer-lingus/

Email the lowest name on the customer service list, waiting one week until you email the next person. Explain your problem and "beg" for help. They do not owe you a refund or rebooking but it costs nothing to try.

However, if you really plan to make this trip you, unfortunately, need to make an alternate reservation, since if you wait until shortly before the holidays the fares will have gone up significantly. Search fares online but book DIRECTLY with the airline. If you use a credit card in the US you have more protection than when using a debit card. I do not know about Canadain laws on this subject though.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Just checked a YVR - DUB booking directly on the Aer Lingus website during the Xmas holidays. It was less than the €1331.40. you paid.

The offices are said to be manned 24/7 on their website. I called an international number which comes up as being based in Ontario. There is no place listed on their website that says they have this cancellation policy in place however when I finally got through to a supervisor this is what he told me. I assume this is to do with their systems processing payments.

I was redirected to Travelgenio through Skyscanner. I did not set out to deal with them directly.

I have been in contact with Aerlingus and they are saying that they cannot touch the booking because it is third party.

I am in Vancouver, BC. I know I am not governed by US law but I quoted that law in case there were any similar laws in Canada.

I paid with my debit card so I have no protection from my bank. However they have created a case and are disputing it with the agency.

These flights are booked 13th-29th OF Dec DUB-YVR. They are not the wrong dates but the wrong departure location. I have been searching flights for weeks and made one stupid slip up and now have lost over $2000CAD. And have no hope to go home for xmas

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should never book with a company until you do an internet search for complaints when you are sent from another site like Skyscanner. Go directly to the airline.

And using a debit card is also another mistake. You don’t have the same consumer protections you do with a credit card.

As far as a supervisor giving you information- we have seen more wrong information given out by company employees than you can shake a stick at.

I’m sorry this happened.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The offices are said to be manned 24/7 on their website. I called an international number which comes up as being based in Ontario. There is no place listed on their website that says they have this cancellation policy in place however when I finally got through to a supervisor this is what he told me. I assume this is to do with their systems processing payments.

I was redirected to Travelgenio through Skyscanner. I did not set out to deal with them directly.

I have been in contact with Aerlingus and they are saying that they cannot touch the booking because it is third party.

I am in Vancouver, BC. I know I am not governed by US law but I quoted that law in case there were any similar laws in Canada.

I paid with my debit card so I have no protection from my bank. However they have created a case and are disputing it with the agency.

These flights are booked 13th-29th OF Dec DUB-YVR. They are not the wrong dates but the wrong departure location. I have been searching flights for weeks and made one stupid slip up and now have lost over $2000CAD. And have no hope to go home for xmas
One way to salvage your trip for less than the purchase of a new RT ticket. It appears you have a DUB-YVR RT ticket leaving DUB on Dec 13.
If you were to purchase a one-way YVR-DUB ticket earlier in Dec you could then use the DUB-YVR portion of your existing reservation to go back to YVR, because it is the first leg of the ticket. You would then not use the second leg of the ticket on Dec 29 but this is legal. You would not be there over the holidays but you would still get to see your family.

You can appeal to Aer Lingus on compassionate grounds with your existing ticket, but your chance of success is not high. Once Skyscanner redirected you, you needed to stop the process and go directly to the airline website for your ticket. Once your gave Travelgenio access to your debit card your money was taken. There is no process where you can get Travelgenio to refund your money. What you were told on the phone is likely smoke and mirrors to get you off the phone.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Appealing to AerLingus us most likely not going work because the ticket was not purchased from AerLingus. It goes back to not dealing with anyone if they booked through a third party.

But booking the one way to Dub is the best solution instead of losing everything.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so very sorry for your situation. I wish we could see a way for you to get this whole trip booked correctly. We hear from people all the time about mistakes made booking air, it's a real shame.

ADVOCATE ADVICE
Booking flights through an online booking service is always a bad idea. Use a search engine to find the best deal, then book directly with the airline. If you find what you want with an airline you never heard of, read reviews of that airline first. Saving a little on a big tix is not worth it if there are problems and you can't get any help. It's a good idea to book on a computer, not a phone. I go through the process twice before I hit the buy button, scrutinizing every detail.

Jul 15, 2018

Hi Hopeless in Vancouver , of course we can help you with the booking cancellation. Please send us a mail to [email protected] with your booking reference and telling us if you want to cancel all the booking or just a part and we will inform you about the rate conditions for your request if the conditions of your ticket and airline allows it according to the accepted terms and conditions. Regards

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The above email will probably end up with a refund of taxes only.
I agree.
“we will inform you about the rate conditions for your request if the conditions of your ticket and airline allows it according to the accepted terms and conditions. Regards”

If your flight wasn’t refundable- I’m willing to be weihlac is right.

I’m glad they posted here but the big question is why would a supervisor tell you that you had time to cancel at no penalty.