Travelers Beware !

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Travelers Beware of Misleading Information from only one person.

This is an excellent hotel with an excellent location, if you want to be beside a beach.
Otherwise, why will you go to Bali for?

View attachment 904
Pardon my Hilton loyalty, but Conrad hotels are the ultimate in luxury and comfort. If you booked a non-ref res, just use it and enjoy the experience; I have no doubt that you will. Next time, don't book non-ref rates, just don't do it. I am a diamond HHonors member, and even I wouldn't expect Hilton to cancel a non-cancellable res just because I hadn't done my homework.

Having said all this, please do take my colleagues' advice and appeal in writing. Hilton did not get to be as successful as they are by not taking care of their guests. Hopefully they will cut you some slack here.

I

May 22, 2016
Pardon my Hilton loyalty, but Conrad hotels are the ultimate in luxury and comfort. If you booked a non-ref res, just use it and enjoy the experience; I have no doubt that you will. Next time, don't book non-ref rates, just don't do it. I am a diamond HHonors member, and even I wouldn't expect Hilton to cancel a non-cancellable res just because I hadn't done my homework.

Having said all this, please do take my colleagues' advice and appeal in writing. Hilton did not get to be as successful as they are by not taking care of their guests. Hopefully they will cut you some slack here.

I
( Thank you ' jsn ,' Hilton didn't wish to deal with me and kept on referring me back to the hotel - in - question, itself, which as you might imagine was pointless. As you might have seen via my final reply here, the issue has been settled, perhaps to nobody's satisfaction, though that is still better than the nightmare I was facing, where I was receiving no satisfaction whatsoever. I had it in my mind that since I commenced the cancellation process almost immediately, less than twenty - four hours after making it, it could have been handled by Hilton International. Though they washed their hands of it, handily .)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The hotel may be a franchise, which would mean that Hilton doesn't control it at the corporate level, it's at the hotel level.

I hope that in the future you won't book pre-paid rates. Then you wouldn't have to worry about something like this. It isn't worth the small savings if you change your mind. Now make sure you buy travel insurance so that if something should happen such as you getting sick, having a death in the family, etc., you won't be out all your money.

May 22, 2016
The hotel may be a franchise, which would mean that Hilton doesn't control it at the corporate level, it's at the hotel level.

I hope that in the future you won't book pre-paid rates. Then you wouldn't have to worry about something like this. It isn't worth the small savings if you change your mind. Now make sure you buy travel insurance so that if something should happen such as you getting sick, having a death in the family, etc., you won't be out all your money.
( Yes Neil. Perhaps good advice to all .)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
( O.K. ' kenish ' as per your request, I believe it is settled, perhaps to nobody's satisfaction, though that is still better than what first happened, me getting all the bad news ! With the assistance of the list of Hilton contacts which I believe Neil kindly also posted, I will now be going to The Conrad Bali in January of 2018. A perfect time of year to escape the miserable Winters here. So I suppose that is that. If you know of anybody nice who might want a roommate at that five - star property in beautiful Bali during that happy time let me know. As you may already know, I am booked in a Deluxe King Room, Lagoon View . A good room with direct pool access. Thanks .)
A very nice solution to an ugly problem, Marcky.

ADVOCATE ADVICE: Do not press the "buy" button until you know every single detail of what you're buying. While I know that most entities are straight-forward with their websites and booking procedures, they often skate very close to the edge by steering you towards what they want you to buy. I've been caught with bad reservations at 2 major chains over the last 5 years because I can't read/their website is misleading, take your choice. Plus ... never book any travel on a cell phone! The reasons for this should be obvious to anyone.

May 22, 2016

ADVOCATE ADVICE: Do not press the "buy" button until you know every single detail of what you're buying. While I know that most entities are straight-forward with their websites and booking procedures, they often skate very close to the edge by steering you towards what they want you to buy. I've been caught with bad reservations at 2 major chains over the last 5 years because I can't read/their website is misleading, take your choice. Plus ... never book any travel on a cell phone! The reasons for this should be obvious to anyone.
( I thank you ' jsn55 .' )

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

And once you push the buy button stop looking at price. If the price goes down you can't do a thing about it unless it drops more than the change fee.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
It isn't in the middle of nowhere, it's on a secluded beach so you have peace, quiet and relaxation. The address is also listed, that's for you look and make sure it's where you want to be. Those booming this hotel are looking for exactly that.
) I I meant more, you can't drop off your dry cleaning and pick up groceries on the way:)

Aug 28, 2015
New York
There are a ton of great hotels on Bali, all the major luxury ones, etc. I've never been but I guess there are a few key neighborhoods but they mostly aren't too far apart. Is there perhaps another Hilton property in the area you prefer? It seems there is a Waldorf and a few others. Maybe they would move your res to one of those?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I understand nonrefundable but sometimes the relationship goes sour before and in this case, I don't see how it's in anyone's best interest to force this person to stay there.
You are SO RIGHT. Why hotels have more than one-night's rate as a deposit is beyond me ... seems guaranteed to create ill will, doesn't it? I can see certain kinds of resort/beach properties in high season, but surely they could allow a reasonable cancellation free up to 30 days or so. Do I really want to be GM of a property occupied by a guest who is totally PO'd even before he arrives?

May 22, 2016
You are SO RIGHT. Why hotels have more than one-night's rate as a deposit is beyond me ... seems guaranteed to create ill will, doesn't it? I can see certain kinds of resort/beach properties in high season, but surely they could allow a reasonable cancellation free up to 30 days or so. Do I really want to be GM of a property occupied by a guest who is totally PO'd even before he arrives?
( Yep ' jsn55 ,' they were pretty unreasonable. The more I tried to explain my situation to them, the more they dug their heels in. Hilton International wouldn't get involved to get them to just charge me a cancellation fee and be done with it, so without any backing I had very limited options. Lol though after it was somewhat settled I made them do me a favor and mail me postcards here in The United States so I could start writing them early .)

May 22, 2016
There are a ton of great hotels on Bali, all the major luxury ones, etc. I've never been but I guess there are a few key neighborhoods but they mostly aren't too far apart. Is there perhaps another Hilton property in the area you prefer? It seems there is a Waldorf and a few others. Maybe they would move your res to one of those?
( There is a Hilton Garden Inne by the airport, allegedly closer to the more preferable Legian Beach legendary nightlife area. Though when I finally saw a little movement on their part and got the option to move the reservation a year ahead at the same property, I just took it .)

Last edited:
May 22, 2016
I understand nonrefundable but sometimes the relationship goes sour before and in this case, I don't see how it's in anyone's best interest to force this person to stay there.
( Yes you would think ! But Hilton International was insistent that they didn't care to get involved, and pushed me to call the hotel ( International Long Distance ). And the hotel was even more insistent that they were not going to give me back of single penny of my extremely large " deposit ." I was kind of shocked myself, which gave me my initial motivation to come here .)

Aug 28, 2015
New York
( Yes you would think ! But Hilton International was insistent that they didn't care to get involved, and pushed me to call the hotel ( International Long Distance ). And the hotel was even more insistent that they were not going to give me back of single penny of my extremely large " deposit ." I was kind of shocked myself, which gave me my initial motivation to come here .)
I'm really surprised. The Hotel you booked seems lovely, just not the right fit, but they obviously have tons of guests. I'm surprised they are being so rigid. I'm more of an SPG person, so I don't have the experience with Hilton to know their customer service style. This is just silly- they shouldnt make you stay there but no one is going to walk away from $1800. The upside is you really booked what seems like a beautiful place on the beach and perhaps your friends/colleagues will come and meet with you there.

May 22, 2016
I'm really surprised. The Hotel you booked seems lovely, just not the right fit, but they obviously have tons of guests. I'm surprised they are being so rigid. I'm more of an SPG person, so I don't have the experience with Hilton to know their customer service style. This is just silly- they shouldnt make you stay there but no one is going to walk away from $1800. The upside is you really booked what seems like a beautiful place on the beach and perhaps your friends/colleagues will come and meet with you there.
( Thank you ' AAGK ,' I'll try to make it work out somehow. The daytime is O.K. though there's no way I wish to be around that area in the evenings when I assume everything shuts down. I notice that they have free parking at the hotel so the thought has crossed my mind that I could rent an automobile and drive back - and - forth. It's just that I've heard nightmare stories about the traffic in The more desirable Legian and Seminyak Districts. And then of course there is that " driving - on - the - wrong - side - of - the - road - and - driving - on - the - wrong - side - of - the - automobile " thing I've heard they've got going on over there ! Plus I've also heard those happy areas are not at all near The Conrad Bali. So we'll see. Perhaps a driving service could be arranged .)