Travel through Hong Kong airport and potential political problems

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 16, 2019
I am scheduled to fly through Hong Kong in a few months. In light of the recent protests and massive cancellations at the airport, I am curious what the obligation of the airlines is should political problems disrupt my travel. If I need to avoid this airport, it would seem that changes should be made sooner than later.
Can travel insurance be purchased after the tickets have been purchased but before travel takes place? What would travel insurance cover that the airline would not cover in this situation?

Jan 6, 2015
According to insuremytrip (and probably others) the answer is no. Only CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage would protect you. And even that coverage is 75% at best. And yes, actually, it needs to be purchased typically within 10-30 days of when tickets are purchased . . .

Sep 19, 2015
Now that there is an interesting question.

As for the recent issue airlines rebooked people on the next available flight.

I do not know if an insurance policy other than CFAR would be valid as it would be bought after the civil unrest started. VoR61 already has given information so do follow that link.

It is good to be proactive and think about these issues in advance.

Aug 29, 2018
Contact the airline and see if there are alternate itineraries. You may be able to change the ticket, though there may be a fee.

Dec 19, 2014
While I understand your concerns, if your travel plans are "a few months" away, a lot can change in that time. I would work with your travel agent to develop a contingency plan and monitor the situation closely. I would also monitor the airline's website for any press releases and updated information.

I am assuming that you are flying Cathay Pacific?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with Chris. When it comes to changing itineraries, the airlines don't seem to buy in to the idea of "doing it now" and seem to enjoy waiting until the last minute before they give their blessing to changes without fees. However, there seems little to be concerned about, HKG will not be over run with protestors much longer. We are flying there the third week of November. I have figured out contingency flights and will stay on top of it all ... but I'm not worried at all, it's just too early for worry. I'm unwilling to give up on visiting HK quite yet.