Travel novice here - is this something I should pursue?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 21, 2019
I'm not sure if I qualify for compensation under the EU flight delay/ cancellation regulations and if I am what is the best way to proceed. I was booked and confirmed on American Airlines Flight 755 on July 07, 2019 from Charles De Gaulle to Philadelphia leaving at 10:30 a.m. and arriving at 1:10 p.m. When I arrived at the airport at 6 :30 a.m. I was informed by the agent at the AA counter that the flight had been canceled due to mechanical issues and that it had never left Philadelphia the night before.

She handed me a card with a telephone number and told me to call and re-book. I asked for her assistance in re-scheduling and was told that they don't do that and that I had to call myself. There were at least 15 other passengers in line with me and all were given the same instructions. While standing in line I received my first and only text message from AA alerting me to the canceled flight. I never received a phone call nor an email.

I called AA and was placed on hold. Some of the other passengers told us that they had been on hold for over 45 minutes and were still waiting. I called my Travel Agent for help and she too was placed on hold for over an hour. She told me that all American flights leaving that day were fully booked and that she could book me on a return flight on Tuesday. However after several hours she was able to switch me to Delta, Flight 501 to Indianapolis leaving at 1:10 p.m. arriving in Indianapolis at 4:33 and then a connecting flight on American - Flight 4514, leaving at 5:53 p.m. and arriving in Philadelphia at 7:54 p.m.

The original AA non-stop flight would have arrived in Phila at 1:10 p.m. My re-booked flight was scheduled to land at 7:54 p.m. more than 6 1/2 hours later. If I read the policy correctly I may be able to claim compensation.

Is this something I can pursue? And what is the best way to do that? Is there a special form to fill out or do I just email AA?

Thank you for your help. Maire