Travel insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 18, 2019
Hi, i bought a ticket with avianca for my son (minor) and me. We were unable to travel because my son was sick. I bought travel insurance through allianz.i submitted all the forms they asked of me except a letter from the airline saying they did not give me a refund. Avianca is telling me they don’t give this type of letter out. The ticket says it has c1-2 refund fee (which i think is a charge plus change of fare). I am not traveling anymore because since then I learned I am pregnant and based on cdc recommendations they do not recommend it due to zika exposure. I was trying to get a letter from avianca stating they have not refunded me the ticket but they are unable to. What should I do?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Tell the insurance company Avianca won’t give you a letter and ask if they have an affidavit you can have notarized saying you will not be using any credit from the airline. If they still refuse, use our company contacts to write to the Executives at Avianca saying you didn’t apply for the credit.

By the way - there are islands in the Caribbean that are Zika free so you still can use the credit.

Sep 22, 2014
I recently had a similar claim thru my credit card. I received the change fee amount immediatley, but had to wait until 365 days after purchase for the rest of the funds to expire, request a “lost funds” doc from the airline and then received the remainder from insurance. (adding this last amount to initial claim). Patience.