travel insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 15, 2018
My husband is 81 and I am 75. We are taking a cruise. Cruise plus air fare is about $11,000.00. Should we purchase travel insurance. We have a quote from Travel Guard for $3099.00
Thank you
m

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you can’t afford to lose everything you have paid for your trip- yes you should buy Travel
Insurance. And if you are traveling outside the US you probably don’t have health insurance that would cover you so Travel insurance gives that to you. And on a cruise, you would want emergency evacuation coverage if God forbid you become seriously ill and the have to order a helicopter to evacuate you.

For 3rd party policies like Travel Insured, the cost of the insurance is based on your age and the cost of the trip. Once you are 70 years or older, the cruise lines insurance might be more economical. Have you compared the Travel
Guard cost the what that cruise line charges?

Jan 6, 2015
I agree with Neil, and will add the following:

With all the coverages and restrictions involved, I recommend you speak with a travel insurance broker as soon as is practical. See this Elliott Article.
They know what to ask (that you and I don't) in order to steer you toward the right coverage for your needs. Here are some of the available coverages to consider:
  • Cancel for Any Reason
    Covers 50-75% of your non-refundables depending on the policy
  • Cruise Cancellation
    Covers non-refundables not purchased through the cruise line
  • Employment Layoff
    Being unemployed is hard enough without a failsafe for trip costs
  • Financial Default
    Covers when a travel provider is no longer in business
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation
    Costs can be in the tens-of-thousands!
  • Hospital of Choice
    Without this you would be cared for at the nearest facility
  • Pre-existing Medical Waiver
    Covers conditions that insurers decide is "pre-existing"
  • Primary Medical
    Places the insurer first in line for claims. Eliminates the need to file with your own insurance.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Masha, your first step should be to check your credit cards to see if they have any travel benefits built in. Absolutely you need medical emergency evacuation insurance, health care and I'm sure you want to protect your $11K. I am stunned at the cost and hope that you are able to find coverage for less ... a larger deductible perhaps? I use a travel insurance broker in Omaha who comes very highly recommended by International Travel News.

Jan 25, 2016
If you can’t afford to lose everything you have paid for your trip- yes you should buy Travel
Insurance. And if you are traveling outside the US you probably don’t have health insurance that would cover you so Travel insurance gives that to you. And on a cruise, you would want emergency evacuation coverage if God forbid you become seriously ill and the have to order a helicopter to evacuate you.

For 3rd party policies like Travel Insured, the cost of the insurance is based on your age and the cost of the trip. Once you are 70 years or older, the cruise lines insurance might be more economical. Have you compared the Travel
Guard cost the what that cruise line charges?
Neil, I presume you were thinking about Medicare when you made the comment about not having coverage outside the U.S. If that is the sole coverage, you are correct, but my Senior Advantage through Kaiser Permanente (a very large self-operated HMO in California and other states) provides worldwide coverage, as does AARP's MedicareComplete, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the "MediGap" plans also do so.

Jan 25, 2016
Masha, your first step should be to check your credit cards to see if they have any travel benefits built in. Absolutely you need medical emergency evacuation insurance, health care and I'm sure you want to protect your $11K. I am stunned at the cost and hope that you are able to find coverage for less ... a larger deductible perhaps? I use a travel insurance broker in Omaha who comes very highly recommended by International Travel News.
Also, there are several websites which are clearing houses for many different sellers of travel insurance, and allow you to compare many plans and view the various coverages that are offered. For every trip I have insured, I have found better and less expensive coverage than what was offered by the tour operator.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, I presume you were thinking about Medicare when you made the comment about not having coverage outside the U.S. If that is the sole coverage, you are correct, but my Senior Advantage through Kaiser Permanente (a very large self-operated HMO in California and other states) provides worldwide coverage, as does AARP's MedicareComplete, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the "MediGap" plans also do so.
Yes. Most folks with Medicare don’t have the same Medi-gap policies. Most states don’t have Kaiser/Permanente available but that is one of the very few companies that offers coverage outside the US.

I wish we had Kaiser in NY.