Travel insurance wants to get reimbursed by health insurance??

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 30, 2016
Hello~

I purchased trip insurance through Allianz for my mother before she went on a trip to New Zealand. As luck would have it, she landed in the hospital in New Zealand. Allianz was actually great to deal with during her hospitalization. They paid the hospital directly and upgraded her seats on the plane ride home. I did send them receipts for prescriptions and an urgent care visit, which have yet to be reimbursed. A few weeks ago, Mom got a letter from Blue Cross (her Medicare supplemental insurance), asking her to sign a form. When I read the form, it seemed like a Release of Information form. Apparently, Allianz found out about Mom's supplemental insurance and asked to be reimbursed for her hospital bills. Allianz was not secondary insurance. They were primary, since we did not think that she would be covered by Medicare out of the country. Mom did call Blue Cross and no one she talked to knew about the form, but told her to sign it and send it anyway. I don't think that she should sign and send it in, since we paid for Allianz to cover her bills.
Is this common for the travel insurance to try to get the medical insurance to reimburse them for medical expenses? What do you all recommend she do?

Thanks!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am fairly sure that your Moms health insurance would not have covered this because most US healthcare plans do not cover travel outside the US. Allianz may need your moms insurance company to tell them they would not pay the claim.

Have you asked your Mom to call Allianz and ask why they need the form signed?

They most likely want to make sure your Mom was not reimbursed twice- once by then and once by your own insurance company. The patient can’t mAke a profit off an illness

I would not ignore it and refuse to complete it- they can come back to your Mom for reimbursement of all bills if she doesn’t complete them- from Allianz’s policy:

“We, upon receipt of a notice of claim, will furnish to the insured such forms as are usually furnished by it for filing proofs of loss. If such forms are not furnished within 15 days after the giving of such notice the claimant shall be deemed to have complied with the requirements of this Policy as to proof of loss upon submitting, within the time fixed in the Policy for filing proofs of loss, written proof covering the occurrence, the character and extent of the loss for which claim is made.”

Sep 19, 2015
I am relieved that there was insurance and that everything was handled well.

I do think Neil is correct; there are some insurances and supplemental Medicare plans that do cover overseas hospitalization. The insurance company is doing its due diligence just to make certain there is no overlapping policies and double reimbursement.

I would not ignore the form.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello~

I purchased trip insurance through Allianz for my mother before she went on a trip to New Zealand. As luck would have it, she landed in the hospital in New Zealand. Allianz was actually great to deal with during her hospitalization. They paid the hospital directly and upgraded her seats on the plane ride home. I did send them receipts for prescriptions and an urgent care visit, which have yet to be reimbursed. A few weeks ago, Mom got a letter from Blue Cross (her Medicare supplemental insurance), asking her to sign a form. When I read the form, it seemed like a Release of Information form. Apparently, Allianz found out about Mom's supplemental insurance and asked to be reimbursed for her hospital bills. Allianz was not secondary insurance. They were primary, since we did not think that she would be covered by Medicare out of the country. Mom did call Blue Cross and no one she talked to knew about the form, but told her to sign it and send it anyway. I don't think that she should sign and send it in, since we paid for Allianz to cover her bills.
Is this common for the travel insurance to try to get the medical insurance to reimburse them for medical expenses? What do you all recommend she do?

Thanks!
Most, but not all Medicare supplement policies do NOT cover claims outside the US borders. It should be easy to find out, either on the policy itself or online, if the BC Medicare supplement policy covers foreign claims. I am fortunate to have an employer-provided Medicare supplement (not Medicare Advantage) that covers me outside the US the same as it does in the US. My wife has a BC Medicare Advantage plan that provides NO coverage outside the US so we have to get a policy for here every time we travel outside the US (4 trips in 10 mos, NZ, Canada, Tahiti, Europe).

You planned very well for your mothers trip so the cost of health care was not an additional factor on top of her illness. BTW Allianz got a good price on her care in NZ as it is much less expensive than US prices, and comparable in quality, at least in the larger cities.

Allianz simply needs confirmation that her BC policy does not cover her outside the US. Another wrinkle in the US healthcare morass.