Travel Insurance referral

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 11, 2018
I just booked a Regent Cruise for my husband and I. I have not paid in full and am hoping to get some insight on travel insurance. We both have pre-existing conditions. This will be my first experience with travel insurance. Can anyone recommend a reliable company, the trip is about $19,000.00.
Thank you, assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 6, 2015
A good policy should be obtainable for 7-10% of your non-refundable trip costs. Premiums vary widely depending on the age and number of travelers, as well as the coverages you seek.
Travel Insurance is Complicated. Because there are so many coverages and restrictions, I highly recommend you speak with a travel insurance broker (I have used insuremytrip.com) prior to purchasing. They know what to ask (that you and I don't) in order to steer you toward the right coverage for your needs. Here are some of the available coverages to consider:
  • BASIC policies (or "lite" as they are often labeled). These offer limited coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delays, and baggage issues. But too often they fail to meet the needs of travelers due to their restricted coverages (i.e., covered reasons). COMPREHENSIVE policies can cover one or more of the following for a nominal cost:
  • Cancel for Any Reason. Covers 50-75% of your non-refundables depending on the policy
  • Cruise Cancellation. Covers non-refundables not purchased through the cruise line
  • Employment Layoff. Being unemployed is hard enough without a failsafe for trip costs
  • Financial Default. Covers when a travel provider is no longer in business
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation. Costs can be in the tens-of-thousands!
  • Hospital of Choice. Without this you are transported to the nearest facility
  • Pre-existing Medical Waiver. Covers conditions that insurers decide is "pre-existing"
  • Primary Medical. Places the insurer first in line for claims. Eliminates the need to file with your own insurance.
Be aware that no single policy will cover every possible reason for cancellation at 100%, and that there are time restrictions (e.g., signing up, cancellation) with every policy ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you price insurance through Regent? If you need pre-ex coverage you must buy the policy very soon after making your deposit - usually within 2 - 3 weeks after depositing for the pre-ex waiver. So use insuremytrip and find a policy sooner rather than later.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Your first information source is the TA through whom you booked your cruise. Once you obtain some basic info, you can figure out what you would lose in the face of disaster. For example, no need to insure the full amount of your air because you'd receive a credit for use on a future flight. Check out any coverage on the credit card you used to book the cruise.

When I first started buying TI, Vegas, I took the low road .. the one that requires the least effort. I called a travel insurance broker who explained it all to me and presented me with a couple of 'perfect' choices. There's a very good broker in Omaha who advertises in International Travel News, a magazine that I've read for 30 years. We also carry an annual policy of Medical Emergency coverage with MedJet which protects us anywhere 150 miles away from home. Based on an experience in 2015, I personally recommend MedJet.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your first information source is the TA through whom you booked your cruise. Once you obtain some basic info, you can figure out what you would lose in the face of disaster. For example, no need to insure the full amount of your air because you'd receive a credit for use on a future flight. Check out any coverage on the credit card you used to book the cruise.

When I first started buying TI, Vegas, I took the low road .. the one that requires the least effort. I called a travel insurance broker who explained it all to me and presented me with a couple of 'perfect' choices. There's a very good broker in Omaha who advertises in International Travel News, a magazine that I've read for 30 years. We also carry an annual policy of Medical Emergency coverage with MedJet which protects us anywhere 150 miles away from home. Based on an experience in 2015, I personally recommend MedJet.
Unless you would prefer a full refund of air, not a future credit less a change fee.