Travel Insurance question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 28, 2018
Hello, We always buy travel insurance along with our plane tickets, usually through Allianz We received an offer in the mail from United Mileage Plus called EA+, Emergency Assistance Plus, for travel insurance coverage all year , in the US and abroad. The cost: $ 189 per family.

Have you had experience with this program? Would you recommend it?

Thank you all,
Suzanne Tarica

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@suzet I would read what it covers and if that's what you're looking for. My reading is that its strictly a medical evacuation insurance

Jan 30, 2018
We have EA+. It is not cancellation or medical insurance. We have it in case of problems on the road in the USA - would help us get home, get the car home, animals home if they are with us, etc. in the event of unforeseen medical issues.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've had MedJet Medical Evac coverage for years, long before I joined this forum. Had the misfortune to need it 3 years ago. They were better than I could have ever imagined. It's an annual policy, maybe $300 a year, covers you anywhere 150 miles from home. I wouldn't travel without it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The only issue with MedJet is it is strictly medical - it doesn’t cover trip cancellation, travel delay, lost luggage, etc.

It’s great for medical but it’s not all encompassing. There are some travel insurance policies with $500,000 in medical coverage and up to 1 million in evacuation.

You should look at both types of policies and determine what is best for you.

Feb 28, 2018
Can you give us a link to the policy online so we can look at it?
Since we got the info by paper mail, I can give you the name of the company: Emergency Assistance Plus Plan Services, provided by On Call International, offered by Worldwide Rescue and Security, P.O box 47150 Phoenix. AZ
Phone number : 1-888-273-0902
We have Allianz for your upcoming trip to Europe, but if the above mentioned is reputable and trustworthy, we could subscribe to that as well for little trips in the US.
Thank you for checking and advising us, Best, Suzanne

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Every policy is different and can be different from supplier to supplier. Without being able to see the exact policy, we can’t really comment because the devil is in the details.

Usually third party policies offer higher coverage than the Suppliers policy. You have to compare the details.

Feb 28, 2018
Every policy is different and can be different from supplier to supplier. Without being able to see the exact policy, we can’t really comment because the devil is in the details.

Usually third party policies offer higher coverage than the Suppliers policy. You have to compare the details.

Feb 28, 2018
Many Thanks , Neil, and all of you for your help. The policy looks ok in terms of medical coverage, based on the brochure we got in the mail. But since we are covered for our next trip, I'll postpone buying it for now.

Jan 30, 2018
BE VERY CAREFUL! Unless it is a totally different EA+ policy than ours, it is NOT medical insurance. It will assist you with arrangements, but except for evacuation, it will NOT pay medical bills.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
BE VERY CAREFUL! Unless it is a totally different EA+ policy than ours, it is NOT medical insurance. It will assist you with arrangements, but except for evacuation, it will NOT pay medical bills.
That’s why it’s so important to read the policies carefully. And you can call the insurance company (and should) and ask for them FTC questions. Don’t be afraid to do that and make sure you document th call- date, time and who you spoke to.