Travel Insurance offered by Credit Cards through VISA

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2018
If you look at the Benefits Guide you originally received with the credit card (I searched online but could not find it) and go to the very last page. It may say something like my Chase Sapphire Reserve Card says
“Indemnity Insurance Company of North America (“Provider”) is the underwriter of this insurance policy and is solely responsible for its administration and claims. The Benefit Administrator provides services on behalf of the Provider.”

I believe your Benefits are Administered by Allaniz (see my picture attachment at bottom circled in Red) but pull out your actual Guide to Benefits and go to last page. That’s where I found this info. Good Luck

Note: Allianz is a very large provider of travel insurance.
Are these the people you are dealing with?

https://www.eclaimsline.com/
Are these the people you are dealing with?

https://www.eclaimsline.com/
Neil....

Following are the pages from the Benfits Summary......

1546204365872.jpeg

The language is Coverd Hazard which clearly does NOT include cancelled flights.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What was the date of travel? That is the date your insurance coverage begins. If they changed the flight before that date- the insurance wasn’t in effect yet. So covered hazards don’t make any difference.

I also can’t read the entire policy from what you posted- need to clearly see the policy from beginning to end. The beginning tells you your effective date. We need to know the travel date.

Jan 6, 2018
The flight was booked on May24, 2018 and was cancelled on August 6, 2018.

Following is copy of email notifiiying me of cancellation...

Dear passenger,

We are sorry to inform you that flight PS538 02.11.18 is cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope for your understanding.

Kindly asking you to contact your issuing office to rebook or refund your ticket.

Sincerely yours,
Ukraine International Airlines
Tel. +38 (044) 581 50 50
E-mail: Contact@flyuia.com

Thanks again for your continued interest....

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Dear passenger,

We are sorry to inform you that flight PS538 02.11.18 is cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope for your understanding.

Kindly asking you to contact your issuing office to rebook or refund your ticket.

Sincerely yours,
Tel. +38 (044) 581 50 50

I just had a look at this thread ... I'm sorry I missed it originally. I've had two claims with Sapphire over the years, one a rental car damage claim and one an extra expenses after a medical emergency claim. I had no trouble with the service company used by Chase on either claim. Had you made a concise, chronological list of the facts, we probably could have given you better and more prompt advice. When it's anything to do with travel, the devil's in the details. Knowing exactly what your problem was would have generated some research into a contact in the right department for you. I hope we can help you.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
And this was for a flight booked for Nov 2, 2018

Booked in May, Canceled in August and for a Flt in November. I’m sorry now with all the pieces of the puzzle the Claim was correctly turned down because the flight was cancelled well before your trip began.
I know you don’t want to hear that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Dear passenger,

Sincerely yours,
Tel. +38 (044) 581 50 50

So again- the insurance would not become effective until the date you were originally flying out. If the 11/2 flight was your returning flight, the day you flew out from your home is the day the insurance starts.

If the insurance was not yet in effect - there is no coverage.

When they notified you of the change, you had the option of telling them to cancel the entire flight and providing you with a refund so you could rebook on another airline. The letter advises you that you had the option.

The insurance isn’t valid unless this happened while it was in effect and while you were traveling. This is the correct reason for them not honoring it.

I’m sorry this happened and I’m sorry that the airlines aren’t forced to provide hotels when they cancel like this.

I also noticed that the insurance is also only valid for up to $500. Not much coverage even if it were in effect.

Jan 6, 2018
My issue with the wording Covered Hazards.....it is clearly not stated in the definition of Covered Hazards as stated in the Summary of Benefits. Appears that they have carte blance with very ambiguous langague to deny claims as they see fit.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My issue with the wording Covered Hazards.....it is clearly not stated in the definition of Covered Hazards as stated in the Summary of Benefits. Appears that they have carte blance with very ambiguous langague to deny claims as they see fit.
It doesn’t matter in your case. The insurance was not in effect when the flight was changed. Trip delay and cancellation do not begin until your trip has started.

Can you please post a picture of the rest of the policy. That will tell you the effective date of the insurance.

At this point, there really isn’t anything else we can assist with- the insurance wasn’t in effect. You had the opportunity to cancel the ticket for a full refund and rebook it elsewhere.

Jan 6, 2018
It doesn’t matter in your case. The insurance was not in effect when the flight was changed. Trip delay and cancellation do not begin until your trip has started.

Can you please post a picture of the rest of the policy. That will tell you the effective date of the insurance.

At this point, there really isn’t anything else we can assist with- the insurance wasn’t in effect. You had the opportunity to cancel the ticket for a full refund and rebook it elsewhere.
Thanks for all your help....I really only wanted a contact for Card Benefit Services and you went way beyond in your efforts....

HAPPY NEW YEAR...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just so you know in the future- if you get a flight change that is that drastic- you don’t have to accept it.
You have every right to cancel for a full refund and then go and book somewhere else.

Many times booking very early isn’t the best idea. You can assume there will be flight changes and many flights are seasonal which results in changes when the airline decides to eliminate flights on that basis.

I myself have issues with seasonal flights. The airlines know when flights start to drop off at the beginning and end of season and they should simply stop booking flights at those times instead of booking and then canceling later.

Jan 6, 2018
Neil....thanks good point....however in my case I was booking Busines Round Trip JFK to ALA and then onward to PHX the following day upon return. I had lots of variables and didn’t want to leave too many balls in the air.

I am still trying to digest the definition of Covered Hazards which is so prominently referred to in the coverage....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
But what you really need to understand is the effective date the policy begins. That is the key to any insurance policy. If it doesn’t begin until you leave, it doesn’t matter what’s in the policy or not- it doesn’t cover you if anything happens before.

Since covered hazards is defined in the policy you posted- and that you highlighted- there is nothing else to add. I’m going to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.