Travel Insurance offered by Credit Cards through VISA

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2018
Date of flight, airline, Flt # and when was Flt cancelled and reason. Your answer above leads me to believe the flight was cancelled before you left in trip and you knew about it???? Please provide specific answers

• The Trip Delay Program does not provide coverage of any delay which was made public or known to the insured prior to the departure of the Covered Trip.”
And that language is what I am attempting to find is in the Summary of Benefirs provided me by Visa .......

Jan 6, 2018
Yes it was cancelled before the trip. Which caused me to stay an extra day and also required me to re book on going flight upon return to US...all flights purchased w Altitude......I am just looking for definition of Covered Hazards on the Benefit Summary provided by Visa which I have in hand.....

Jan 30, 2018
I don't know how much clearer they can be. Your return flight was cancelled/changed BEFORE you left on your trip. Therefore, it is NOT covered.

• The Trip Delay Program does not provide coverage of any delay which was made public or known to the insured prior to the departure of the Covered Trip.”

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
And that language is what I am attempting to find is in the Summary of Benefirs provided me by Visa .......
This should be in your Guide to Benefits that is usually sent with your card. You should be able to contact your bank and ask for a copy if it is not already available through your online account access.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that these benefits are normally provided as an extra benefit of using the card at no additional cost. They usually provide very limited travel insurance benefits.

Mar 14, 2018
....I am just looking for definition of Covered Hazards on the Benefit Summary provided by Visa which I have in hand.....
In the Chase Sapphire Reserve (which is also a Visa Infinite card) Benefit Summary, Covered Hazard is defined in the "Trip Delay Reimbursement" section. The definition is:

"A Covered Hazard includes equipment failure, inclement weather, labor strikes, and hijacking or skyjacking."

Sep 19, 2015
Can you give the flight numbers and dates? I cannot figure out if the flight was canceled before the trip started (ie departure) versus the return.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
It sounds like the trip had not technically started yet.

@SummitOne did you purchase two separate tickets, one to your destination and one to return to the US? If so, the cancellation of your flight back to the US is NOT considered a trip interruption. We are all making assumptions here since the details of your trip are vague. If you have an originating flight that is cancelled, you should not be out any additional expenses since the premise is you would be at "home". In addition, are you saying that you had to pay additional fees for the cancelled flight to be re-booked? Or did you have a second flight that was not connected with the cancelled flight that required a change fee? In other words, did you have two flights that were not on the same PNR?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Our writer now says that it was canceled before he or she left and they had an option of returning the day before or day after.

One thing to remember is unless you are buying a policy that covers pre-existing conditions, travel insurance for flight delays, cancellations, or trip interruption doesn’t begin until the date you are traveling- the effective date of the policy. So the insurance wasn’t even in effect if the airline changed the flight before the trip date.

This doesn’t fall under trip interruption OR trip delay. Trip interruption happens while you are traveling, trip delay is in effect if your flight is delayed leaving the airport or returning.

Once notified of the change in flight our writer had the opportunity to cancel the entire ticket for a full refund and book another flight on another airline.

Once you accept the change, the onus is on you for any additional hotel charges or costs associated with the new tickets.
It stinks, but that’s how it works. It’s happened to me before and I had to eat the hotel charges. I don't like it either but its the way the airlines work. It really doesn't matter why the flight was canceled because the insurance wasn't in effect.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for the explanation Neil I was lost in the narrative.
We have been chastised by this writer who still hasn't provided exactly what we asked of him - a chronological list of what happened when. This is the best I can do with what he has opted to give us. As we all know, we aren't effective unless the writer gives us the full information we are asking for - not sure why this seems to be such an problem.

I can only base my response on this from him, which still doesn't tell us when he was traveling.

"Vague? I booked the flight in May...in August they cancelled the flight ...I was forced to stay an extra night before returning to US and that in turn forced me to rebook by connecting flight home....how clear can this be!"

That is the first time he gave us a little of what we needed.

Jan 6, 2018
Folks.....thank you for all your advise ......my original question was...

Has anyone had experience w a claim through Card Benefit Services offered through VISA? Looking for a contact name/email address to cut through the red tape.

And that is what I was looking for.....I appreciate all your suggestions however all I was looking for was what I asked for......Card Benefit Services has so many bad raps and complaints on the Webb it makes me feel like they are a sleezy operation and I am just trying to obtain a contact so I can get straight, timily answers...and not the run around offered by their 800 number.....

Again thanks for any info on this .....your generious oprions are well taken..

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The OP needs to provide the Name of the Insurance Company and the contact names & numbers, etc he already has so we don’t do unnecessary research.

In addition he can appeal the denial and if he still does not like the result, file a complaint with his State’s Insurance Commissioner.

Jan 6, 2018
https://www.elliott.org/research/

Try using this to see if our researcher can find better contacts.
Neil....thanks....I started there and it was suggested I Tee it up here as they didn’t have a contact name......

Card Beneft Services apparently wants to stay nameless to avoid personal contact. This however does seem strange since a reputable company such as Visa would contract with them to provide benefits for their cardholders.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Neil....thanks....I started there and it was suggested I Tee it up here as they didn’t have a contact name......

Card Beneft Services apparently wants to stay nameless to avoid personal contact. This however does seem strange since a reputable company such as Visa would contract with them to provide benefits for their cardholders.
There should be an Insurance Company involved?? Does your Denial Letter come from an Insurance Company?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014

Are these the people you are dealing with?

https://www.eclaimsline.com/

Attachments

Jan 6, 2018
Are these the people you are dealing with?

https://www.eclaimsline.com/
Yes indeed this is the Company. On their Webb site they advertise 5 day reply to claims/inquires......this does NOT occur. And this appears to be their mode of operation when viewing the comments pertaining to them on various chat lines.

And as far as calling the 800 number one only gets a operator that takes the info.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Yes indeed this is the Company. On their Webb site they advertise 5 day reply to claims/inquires......this does NOT occur. And this appears to be their mode of operation when viewing the comments pertaining to them on various chat lines.

And as far as calling the 800 number one only gets a operator that takes the info.
If you look at the Benefits Guide you originally received with the credit card (I searched online but could not find it) and go to the very last page. It may say something like my Chase Sapphire Reserve Card says
“Indemnity Insurance Company of North America (“Provider”) is the underwriter of this insurance policy and is solely responsible for its administration and claims. The Benefit Administrator provides services on behalf of the Provider.”

I believe your Benefits are Administered by Allaniz (see my picture attachment at bottom circled in Red) but pull out your actual Guide to Benefits and go to last page. That’s where I found this info. Good Luck

Note: Allianz is a very large provider of travel insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.