Travel Insurance for over age 80

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 17, 2019
I am an Israeli national trying to get travel/health insurance for upcoming extended trip to USA, to be in Arizona with my American woman friend the whole time. I just turned 80 years of age and I am healthy and very capable traveler. Right now I am told that they will not issue insurance for more than 45 days to someone over age 80 (with little chance of renewal). But we had planned that I would stay longer than 45 days.
Insurance agents I spoke with have told me this "policy" is unacceptable to them and their clients, as there are many many people over age 80 that come to them that need and want this insurance coverage. Is this some outdated age discrimination, as we know that people live longer and remain able to travel, but certainly need coverage?
I have to book my ticket immediately and don't know what to do. Thanks.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you trying to obtain health insurance for yourself, you are facing the reality that health care costs in those over 80 are much higher. You may view this as age discrimination but it is medical and actuarial fact regardless of your state of health today. People do live longer and the costs to insure their health over age 80 are very high, esp in the US.

You may look into trying what the Canadians do; take a short trip to Mexico and get another policy (perhaps with a different insurer) for your reentry into the US. If that does not work and there are no policies that cover you for more than 45 days you may need to make two 45 day trips in 2019.

Sep 19, 2015
There are some companies that offer extended coverage for over 80 — as long as not a US citizen — but the premium is high and policy maximum is limited — Safe travels USA gave a quote of around 1200 for 62 days but policy limit is 50,000.

There may be others like Inbound Guest etc.

Jun 17, 2019
If you trying to obtain health insurance for yourself, you are facing the reality that health care costs in those over 80 are much higher. You may view this as age discrimination but it is medical and actuarial fact regardless of your state of health today. People do live longer and the costs to insure their health over age 80 are very high, esp in the US.

You may look into trying what the Canadians do; take a short trip to Mexico and get another policy (perhaps with a different insurer) for your reentry into the US. If that does not work and there are no policies that cover you for more than 45 days you may need to make two 45 day trips in 2019.
Thanks for your reply. It's not practical or fair to expect someone to make two trips to the United States because the limit is 45 days. Nor Canadians .

Jun 17, 2019
There are some companies that offer extended coverage for over 80 — as long as not a US citizen — but the premium is high and policy maximum is limited — Safe travels USA gave a quote of around 1200 for 62 days but policy limit is 50,000.

There may be others like Inbound Guest etc.
Thanks. Please give me as many names of companies as possible. I haven't yet found a company, at any price.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks. Please give me as many names of companies as possible. I haven't yet found a company, at any price.
We cannot recommend insurance companies here. Companies in the US also usually won’t cover anyone that is not a citizen living in the US. You should contact a travel agency in Israel - they would probably be able to offer you assistance.

Sep 19, 2015
I am not endorsing any company but these may help you as you start to price out policies.

The first link is directly to safe travel USA for a quote and the one I used to see if possible.

https://www.trawickinternational.com/products/safe-travels-usa-comprehensive

This is a brokerage that may help. There is a policy underwritten by Lloyd’s of London that may have higher limits:

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/travel-insurance/travel-insurance-for-over-80/