Travel Insurance Cover lost items?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 12, 2019
I know that travel insurance, if it covers baggage, covers when the airlines lose your bags. But what if an item gets lost? Somewhere between getting on a plane and arriving at my hotel a bag that contained all my chargers got lost. Luckily not too big a deal, but I figure hey if my travel insurance covers this might as well use it. I know coverage varies by plan and in reading mine they just refer to "loss" of bag.

Anyone know if there's any insurance that covers this type of bag loss or is it just if airline/cruiseline/train loses it?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was the bag in a suitcase? How was it separated from the rest of your belongings? Does your policy cover lost personal items? That’s what you need to check and see. Some policies do offer that type of coverage.

You can try putting in a claim. If we knew what the policy says we could give you a better idea.

Feb 12, 2019
Below is what it says.

BAGGAGE AND PERSONAL EFFECTS The Company will reimburse the Insured, up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page subject to the special limitations shown below, for Loss, theft or damage to the Insured’s Baggage, personal effects, passports, travel documents and visas during the Insured’s Trip. Special Limitations: The Company will reimburse the Insured up to: • $500 for the first item and thereafter • $250 per each additional item • $500 aggregate on all Losses to: jewelry, watches, furs, cameras and camera equipment, camcorders, computers, electronic devices, including but not limited to: lap top computers, cell phones, electronic organizers and portable CD players. Items over $150 must be accompanied by original receipts. The Company will pay the lesser of: (a) the cash value (original cash value less depreciation) as determined by the Company; or (b) the cost of replacement. The Company may take all or part of the damaged Baggage at the appraised or agreed value. In the event of a Loss to a pair or set of items, the Company may at its option: (a) repair or replace any part to restore the pair or set to its value before the Loss; or (b) pay the difference between the cash value of the Baggage before and after the Loss.

Feb 12, 2019
It was in my carryon backpack though it was in a separate bag with a handle that zipped. I'm honestly not sure how I lost it. I know it was on the plane because I took out a charging cord for the plane ride after discovering my seat had a plug, but I thought I put it back in my backpack and checked the overhead bin before I left (I know I never took the bag out of the overhead bin). Got off the plane, stopped to rearrange my neck pillow and make sure I had my wallet handy, waited for checked luggage, took the train to hotel, gave the hotel my bag as my room wasn't ready, and then after an hour or so came back collected my bags and then went to my room. Didn't discover it missing until I was in my room and tried to charge my tablet.

None of my attempts to find the lost bag along the way have turned up anything - just notifications that they have found nothing.

Feb 12, 2019
Well, they didn't say it's not covered - so I guess I'll submit and see what happens! Gotta hunt down the approximate value of things though because almost everything in there was bought in a bundle with the electronic item that I thankfully still have as that part is much more expensive!