Travel insurance claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 7, 2019
We have two claims with Travel Guard
And they will not pay these claims until
We can get written confirmation that the
Newark airport was closed on July 15,
2018 and why and for how long. Missed
Our cruise because flights from Chicago
Were delayed and then cancelled. AA
Did refund airline tickets.

Feb 7, 2019
Was the airport actually closed that day? Why?

We’re you flying in a day before your cruise or day of (which you shouldn’t do) ?
Flying in early morning on day of cruise.
Trying to find out when airport closed
And why. Airline said airport closed snd
Cancelled our flights. Need written
Verification that airport closed and why
In order to get claim processed with full
Refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I did a search and don’t see anything about the airport being closed. I would suggest you go back to the airline and tell them what you need. They should have a record of the airport being closed.

Sep 19, 2015
The airport was not “closed”. There were severe weather warnings for expected thunderstorms so the airlines proactively canceled flights — I do not know if this was directed by the FAA and air traffic control. Maybe search the database.

But why can’t AA just write a statement?

Nov 14, 2018
If AA cancelled your flight, contact AA Customer Service and ask them for an email stating that they cancelled your flight - have them include flight number and date. That’s what I did when they cancelled my flight and the email was accepted by Travel Guard.

Feb 7, 2019
The airport was not “closed”. There were severe weather warnings for expected thunderstorms so the airlines proactively canceled flights — I do not know if this was directed by the FAA and air traffic control. Maybe search the database.

But why can’t AA just write a statement?
That’s what I asked them. They have
Nothing in writing to send me and when
I call and talk to a supervisor they tell me
To go on line and all they will do is tell me
The flight was cancelled which is not enough
For the insurance company.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Flying in early morning on day of cruise.
Trying to find out when airport closed
And why. Airline said airport closed snd
Cancelled our flights. Need written
Verification that airport closed and why
In order to get claim processed with full
Refund.
Understand that flying into the departure location on the day of a cruise is a disaster waiting to happen (and it did happen). Did you use a travel agent? If so you were very badly served. If you booked on your own you should not be surprised that you missed the cruise.

Feb 3, 2017
Did AA cancel via email, text or some other way?

If you have something in writing from AA informing you of the cancelation and evidence of the refund AA provided to you - maybe that would help with the insurance company - (that is, if you have not already provided them proof of the refund AA provided) -

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I think it’s a little harsh to say @Grammyof5 should not be surprised to have missed the cruise.
My husband and I flew from SW FL to Vancouver for a cruise back in 2005 with no problems. It just didn’t occur to us to go a day early. We were lucky but would NEVER attempt this again.
People who do not travel often just do not have the experience to know the true realties of air travel.
In a nice world, the insurance company would be helpful in advising the client how to get the information they need to prove a claim. But let’s be real, that would be handing out the money too easily.
In another ancient time, people and corporations acted decently. It is sad

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
In 2005 flights were much more reliable then they are now. Weather patterns have drastically changed in the last 13 years plus the airlines planes are aging and need much more maintenance as they age and we also didn’t have rules on how long flight crews could work in those days.

Now- we always advise clients to arrive at least a day before their cruise leaves.