Travel insurance and airline credits

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 23, 2019
We just had to cancel both flights because my husband had pneumonia. We each have an airline voucher that is good for one year from the date of ticket purchase. It seems I can't collect on the insurance because of the voucher. If we are unable to use the voucher, we forfeit the amount. The Allianz insurance representative told me if I had just cancelled the ticket, I might not be able to collect the insurance. I could not get a straight answer on when I am eligible to claim the insurance. Also, I changed the date on my flight before I knew my husband had pneumonia so my voucher is for a different trip. If you have a trip credit, does this mean you cannot collect on the insurance? The Allianz Insurance people I talk to are no help. Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes. You usually have to sign off on the insurance stating you don’t have a credit to be reimbursed.
Did you call the insurance company when you canceled for advise on how you needed to proceed?

Make sure you understand the voucher is good for one year from the date you originally booked the tickets, not the travel date.

I don’t understand what the rep meant about if you just canceled the ticket you might not be able to collect. Did she mean that it depends on how your doctor completes the insurance forms?

All claims depend on whether your doctor has advised you that your husband could not fly and how they complete the insurance forms.