travel/evacuation/medical insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 6, 2019
She is 71 and I am 76 and travel policies are prohibitively expensive. We travel extensively, going from Texas to Florida monthly, and have three "big trips" booked for 2020. Our concern is to be able to get back to US medical services from the Caribbean, Bahamas or Europe. I have traveled Latin and South America as well as the Pacific Rim...she has no interest in these areas.
Any ideas/recommendations for this type of insurance coverage, or companies?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Because most are age based once you turn
70 pricing goes up.

Go to a website called insuremytrip and you can get quotes from different companies and see what works best.

You may think it’s prohibitively expense, but if you have to be hospitalized while you are traveling in a foreign country it will be worth every penny you spend because most Medicare policies don’t cover you out of the US

I also urge you to read the MANY posts we have from people who opted out of travel insurance, got sick or had a death and couldn’t travel and turn wanted the benefit of refunds. Travel doesn’t work that way.

Aug 13, 2019
We have used RoamRight insurance for all our trips. We purchase directly on their website. We had to use our insurance after I became very ill on a cruise last year. My medical bill came out to a whopping $11,000! I am on Medicare and have Anthem as my secondary insurance. I was advised to put through a claim through Anthem. What Anthem did not pay, RoamRight did. I was made whole. I was pleased with them and will continue to use them.

When taking out trip insurance, it is wise to seek out policies that offer pre-existing conditions coverage. Usually, you have to arrange/buy insurance coverage 21 days after booking and depositing to obtain this coverage.

Trip insurance is a very wise investment.

Jan 6, 2015
One catch: you state that you have already booked the trips. If that means more than 3 weeks ago, you likely cannot get Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) and other inmportant coverages. Insurance should be purchased as soon as possible following the "booking" date(s).

Sep 27, 2018
What we have done is buy an annual policy to cover medical for OUS travel. Those are more reasonable. We went through our local insurance broker for that insurance. I look at it that if either one of us is that ill that we need emergency care worrying about losing money on an airfare or tour is minor than getting back home. Even for a minor medical issue, costs can add up quickly. Some friends were touring Europe when the wife had to have emergency eye surgery. Surgery was routine, but she couldn't walk around for the first week, and couldn't fly for 4 weeks. That was a huge unplanned expense.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We have used RoamRight insurance for all our trips. We purchase directly on their website. We had to use our insurance after I became very ill on a cruise last year. My medical bill came out to a whopping $11,000! I am on Medicare and have Anthem as my secondary insurance. I was advised to put through a claim through Anthem. What Anthem did not pay, RoamRight did. I was made whole. I was pleased with them and will continue to use them.

When taking out trip insurance, it is wise to seek out policies that offer pre-existing conditions coverage. Usually, you have to arrange/buy insurance coverage 21 days after booking and depositing to obtain this coverage.

Trip insurance is a very wise investment.
Our OP is looking for medical emergency evacuation insurance. I've had MedJet forever and they were spectacularly wonderful in 2015 when my husband had his hip replaced in Paris. If there is a need for other types of travel coverage, I rely on Travel Insurance Center in Omaha. They have real agents to talk with about specific needs.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s correct - you still need a medical plan unless you have health insurance that covers out side the US.

In many cases a travel insurance policy with good emergency evac is more cost effective but they may only transport you to the closest medical facility. Travel Insured offers a policy with $100,000 in medical coverage and a million in emergency evacuation. It’s one of the higher plans out there.