Travel agents

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 17, 2019
Company you have a question or comment about: Avalon Waterways

Four of us have "booked" an Avalon cruise for mid-September. We did so through a very informative travel agent friends referred us to use. Nothing but a pleasure to deal with - until his overarching firm ProTravel and he split ways. While there may be two sides to this story, I'd like to stick with the travel agent who has moved to a new company. Apparently, other agents have as well in a continuing dispute with ProTravel.

I would like our reservations to be a) transferred to the agent at his new affiliated company or b) released to Avalon Waterways, which has said it will supervise the booking.

Is that reasonable since after four contacts with ProTravel, I have no assurances this is not messed up.

The trip has a LARGE payment due June 14. I do not want to give it to Pro Travel at all.

What's your desired resolution? I would like the reservations transferred to either our preferred travel agent or directly to Avalon for servicing. There is no way I want to send a five digit check for four trips to “Miscellaneous agent” at Pro Travel. What options are there? Each couple has paid ProTravel about $1600 deposit.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As a travel agent, I can tell you ProTravel owns the booking, not the travel agent. ProTravel would have to allow the transfer to your travel Agents new company for you to follow him or her to their new agency. ProTravel is most likely not going to do this since they’ve done all the work thus far on the booking.

You may be successful in contacting Avalon and telling them you want the booking moved to Avalon. Call Avalon and tell then you want a form to transfer the booking to Avalon and fill it out and take it to the ProTravel office. You will have better luck not mentioning the other agent to ProTravel because that will make them more resistant to releasing it.

May 17, 2019
Frankly, Pro Travel has not done a thing as far as I can see. But it’s a good plan. There is no Pro Travel office except in New York or Ontario

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you agent work in the NY office or work from home through ProTravel?

What your Agent should have done was not left ProTravel until all their bookings had been completed. This sounds like your agent may be home based working through ProTravel as a host. If that is the case, they could have started working for a new agency without saying anything to ProTravel, and once all their commission was paid from Pro told them they were leaving.

You may think that ProTravel didn’t “do” anything- but in fact they did. The Agent was using ProTravels accreditations and sales to earn a commission on the sale that they would not have been able to earn on their own as well as possibly be able to offer perks or the pricing you the received on your trip that they might not have had otherwise. So ProTravel certainly did do something for you that you just don’t see as a consumer.

Try going through Avalon.

Nov 27, 2017
I use to work at a large travel agency that specialized in cruises and I do know that some of or customers have requested to have the booking transfefred to another agency and it has been done. If you haven't reached out to Avalon, I would reach out to them and just let them know that you would like to have your booking moved from ProTravel to the new agency. Avalon should then reach out to Pro Travel to let them know and send it over to the new agency (Make sure you have this information for them). Make sure you let the new agency know to expected this and keep an eye on when it transfers over. I would also make sure you keep an eye on the invoice to ensure the pricing is the same and there is no additional cost.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I use to work at a large travel agency that specialized in cruises and I do know that some of or customers have requested to have the booking transfefred to another agency and it has been done. If you haven't reached out to Avalon, I would reach out to them and just let them know that you would like to have your booking moved from ProTravel to the new agency. Avalon should then reach out to Pro Travel to let them know and send it over to the new agency (Make sure you have this information for them). Make sure you let the new agency know to expected this and keep an eye on when it transfers over. I would also make sure you keep an eye on the invoice to ensure the pricing is the same and there is no additional cost.
Thanks for this insight, Ginny. The idea that a travel agency can "keep" you even tho you're not happy and your agent is no longer with them is disgusting. When your financial planner leaves the firm, you can "go with him" or stay at the firm and be assigned another broker. Each side will try to sell you on their good qualities. People work with an expert they think will do a great job, and should be allowed to stay with that expert ... it should be the client's decision and should be an easy, seamless transition. Anything else is unprofessional.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@jsn55 Difference between a financial adviser and a TA is that the financial adviser has already been paid for the work they've done up to this point. The TA has not. So the individual agent used the agency resources to book the trip and keep the client up to date but the agency will see 0 revenue if the final payment isn't made under their #.

This is a case where I can see, understand and empathize with both sides.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The agency can refuse to transfer it and I've seen agencies who are vindictive because an agent has left that will refuse. If she has contacted ProTravel already and they have been resistant, its a better option to move it to Avalon if she really doesn't want to deal with ProTravel.

Nov 27, 2017
Hey Neil, you're right, I have seen agencies do that too, but the only one who can really take the booking away at that pint is Avalon to keep the customer happy. Once Avalon takes over,you might be able to convinence them to send it to your new agent.

May 17, 2019
I may have a solution - so here's an update Neil Maley ....
The commissions were never made to our initial agent. That's one of the reasons he left Pro Travel to go with a firm called Travel Quest. I spoke up the line at Avalon and they said they'd be in touch with Pro Travel as well. The original agent was contacted by ProTravel and told they would be shifting the reservation to him. But, ProTravel has not paid him in a year. He will have to agree to forfeit all current commissions. I think he will do that as there is little chance he is going to get them as it appears.
So we are waiting to hear if that happened.
So, yea to Avalon for moving things along. Boo to ProTravel if it doesn't pay the commissions due to its agents.
We'll hold off on shipping off our HUGE final payment till this is settled. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You might want to go back to the cruise line and force them to move your booking to Avalon if you don’t want to make that final payment through ProTravel. You don’t want to have to be stuck with the booking being in between Pro and Avalon while the payment is due. Your payment may get stuck in between and you don’t want the cabin cancelled for non payment.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Finally, some action! I think posting here helped. We have "new" bookings - transferred to our chosen travel agent, who will continue to work with Avalon. Thank all of you for your hints. I think we are satisfied with the new plan.
The cruise lines don’t usually read here, but using the ideas we gave you and your perseverance are what did it. Glad it worked out - but let your agent know if he or she moves to a new agency- don’t tell the old one until all your reservations have traveled. If he or she is an independent contractor the host agency cannot tell them they can’t work for multiple hosts unless they are actual employees of the agency.