TRAVEL AGENT NOT REFUNDING FARES FOR FLIGHTS CANCELLED DURING LOCKDOWN

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 5, 2018
Dear Elliott Advocacy:
I am writing to you regarding our travel agent "Orient Tourism Pvt Ltd" in Vashi Navi Mumbai, India. We had booked airline tickets through this travel agent. The flights were cancelled due to the coronavirus lockdown. They are not refunding our money of Rs. 22,500 which the airlines had refunded to them almost nine months back. They are not responding to emails or WhatsApp messages either. I have attached the WhatsApp messages with "Mr. Chandan , Managing Director of Orient Tourism Pvt Ltd - Vashi, Navi Mumbai " &"Mr. Jay Bhatia Vice President of TAAI" to this email. Three of the ticket holders are advanced age senior citizens aged 90, 83, & 63 with serious medical conditions. On the basis of "Intensive Care Unit" emergency medical papers of my father aged 90 who is one of the passengers submitted to the airlines "SpiceJet" & "Go Air" in March 2020 , the airlines promptly refunded the amount to our travel agent on March 23, 2020 & April 7, 2020 respectively. Our travel agent says that only a credit note was received by the airlines good towards future travel. I registered a grievance with Airsewa. As per their findings, the airlines refunded the money to our travel agents in the same manner & to the same account from which they were paid. They have confirmed that it is a refund & not a credit towards future travel. The Airsewa grievance number for SpiceJet is Yxxxxxxx & Go Air is Axxxxxxx. I request you to please help advanced age senior citizens get the refund from our travel agent. The total amount is Rs. 22,500 (approx. $325). I have wasted so much time sending emails & messages to our travel agent. It has been almost nine months since the money was refunded by the airlines to our agent. My father aged 90 has been in the intensive care unit twice in the last three months. My mother is aged 83 with serious medical conditions. We have very high medical bills to pay.
The travel agency contacts are: Ms. Harjeet Kaur - Ph. 9223284402 - email: [email protected]. I don't think Harjeet is with the agency now.
Mr. Chandan (Managing Director) - Ph. 9820074531 - email: [email protected]
Their website is www.orienttourism.com. The address is "Orient Tourism Pvt Ltd" in 8 Arenja Corner, Sector 17, Vashi, Navi Mumbai, India. They don't respond to emails. They only respond to "WhatsApp" numbers 9820074531 (Managing Director Mr. Chandan) & 9223284402 (Travel agent Harjeet Kaur).
Spicejet: Five tickets from Mumbai to Bengalaru on March 28, 2020
The last name of all five passengers is "Gxxxxxxxxxx". The PNR# is Uxxxxx. The flight # is SG 4xx.
GoAir: Five return tickets from Bengalaru to Mumbai on March 31, 2020 .
The last name of all five passengers is "Gxxxxxxxxxx". The PNR# is Uxxxxx.
Thank you,
RG

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove last name, grievance numbers, and PNR's and delete attachments containing same

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can complete this form and see if our researcher can find any contacts for you:

Do you have laws in India about credit card disputes? You might be able to contact the credit card company you used to pay for the tickets.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This might help- it has information on who you can contact in India for assistance:

Reactions: VoR61

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Did you verify that the airline did in fact send this company a cash refund or did they refund future travel credits?
The problem might be this company is just plain broke and can only offer a credit as they have no cash to give anyone.
You are in the same boat as so many others . Many are being refused refunds and forced to take a voucher. If you do accept a voucher you will not be able to get a refund any more.

Reactions: BittyBoo and VoR61
Nov 27, 2019
It sounds like the OP has already filed a grievance with Airsewa, the branch of India's government that handles complaints against airlines (https://airsewa.gov.in/home), and Airsewa has confirmed that the airline made the refund to the travel agent. It sounds like the travel agent is either holding onto the money, or has paid it out to another creditor.

I don't know if there's a trade association for Indian travel agents (like ASTA in the US), but that might be another place to try.

Reactions: VoR61
Mar 5, 2018
Hi Skippy,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I saw your post only now because of the time difference. Yes, these are domestic flights in India. Elliott Advocacy accepts complaints from other countries. Since I am a U.S. citizen & had posted my complaint on this forum regarding another U.S matter several years back, I decided to do so again. Airlines have submitted proof that they have refunded the money to the travel agent. My WhatsApp messages to the travel agent are going through but they are not responding. I don't know if they have gone out of business. Their office is not open but this could be because most people are working from home. They have been in business since 1988. I did contact TAAI (Travel Agents Association of India) of which this travel agent is a member but no response from them either. Agencies in India are not as efficient or as responsive as they are in the U.S.

Mar 5, 2018
What proof do you have that the TA received the money from the airlines?

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I saw your post only now because of the time difference. Airlines have submitted proof that they have refunded the money to the travel agent. My WhatsApp messages to the travel agent are going through but they are not responding. I don't know if they have gone out of business. Their office is not open but this could be because most people are working from home. They have been in business since 1988. I did contact TAAI (Travel Agents Association of India) of which this travel agent is a member but no response from them either. Agencies in India are not as efficient or as responsive as they are in the U.S.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018
It sounds like the OP has already filed a grievance with Airsewa, the branch of India's government that handles complaints against airlines (https://airsewa.gov.in/home), and Airsewa has confirmed that the airline made the refund to the travel agent. It sounds like the travel agent is either holding onto the money, or has paid it out to another creditor.

I don't know if there's a trade association for Indian travel agents (like ASTA in the US), but that might be another place to try.

Hi Bob,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I saw your post only now because of the time difference. I did contact TAAI (Travel Agents Association of India) of which this travel agent is a member but no response from them either. Agencies in India are not as efficient or as responsive as they are in the U.S.

Mar 5, 2018
You can complete this form and see if our researcher can find any contacts for you:

Do you have laws in India about credit card disputes? You might be able to contact the credit card company you used to pay for the tickets.
My father unfortunately paid in cash. We only have the cash receipt.

Mar 5, 2018
Hi Comicman,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I saw your post only now because of the time difference. . Airlines have submitted proof that they have refunded the money to the travel agent. My WhatsApp messages to the travel agent are going through but they are not responding. I don't know if they have gone out of business. Their office is not open but this could be because most people are working from home. They have been in business since 1988. I did contact TAAI (Travel Agents Association of India) of which this travel agent is a member but no response from them either. Agencies in India are not as efficient or as responsive as they are in the U.S. I have refused to accept a voucher since my parents aged 90 & 83 cannot travel any more. Those tickets were purchased for a family emergency.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
If you are unable to get a refund , maybe you can get the airline to allow you to use the ticket your self. Not a good result but still better then getting nothing. Maybe a message or a direct phone call to the travel agent asking if you can get a credit in your name might work.
Paying cash for hotels and airlines is always a bad idea. You lose too many abilities to advocate for you when problems happen ( like this). I remember years ago a travel company was offering a 20% discount if you paid cash, It was an easy choice to lose the 20% and pay with my card.
The big problem you have is that you used a travel agent. The airlines had to refund them. It looks like to me that the travel agent is broke and is hiding so they do not have to pay out money they do not have. As the airlines already refunded your travel agent it would seem that are now out of the picture.
I truly feel for you, and so many others that are in the same place as you.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Mar 5, 2018
Hi Comicman,

My parents are 90 & 83 years of age & cannot travel again. We had booked these flights for a family emergency. Hopefully, we will get the refund at some point. They are not a " Fly by Night" travel agent. They have been in business for 30 years & hopefully will open their office in the coming months. It will be our bad luck if they have gone out of business.
If you are unable to get a refund , maybe you can get the airline to allow you to use the ticket your self. Not a good result but still better then getting nothing. Maybe a message or a direct phone call to the travel agent asking if you can get a credit in your name might work.
Paying cash for hotels and airlines is always a bad idea. You lose too many abilities to advocate for you when problems happen ( like this). I remember years ago a travel company was offering a 20% discount if you paid cash, It was an easy choice to lose the 20% and pay with my card.
The big problem you have is that you used a travel agent. The airlines had to refund them. It looks like to me that the travel agent is broke and is hiding so they do not have to pay out money they do not have. As the airlines already refunded your travel agent it would seem that are now out of the picture.
I truly feel for you, and so many others that are in the same place as you.