Travel Agency refusing to issue tickets after being given confirmation email

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 6, 2015
I have a question --Can a travel agency not issue tickets after finalizing purchase , taking the credit card details and giving booking reservation number ?
We got the confirmation email from check my trip.com and the next day we were told that the tickets cannot be issued as the prices have gone up. How can we address this situation please,.Advice appreciated please
Thanks --Sofi

B

bodega3

What you do is either accept the new pricing or don't get them. The pricing your see online isn't what is called 'live inventory'. It is cached. This IS NOT a bait and switch, it is that the price you saw had been available, but when the transaction took place, the inventory for that fare was gone. It happens all the time. I am a TA and I have lost inventory during the process of booking in my GDS. It happens.

Jan 8, 2015
Bodega, do you give reservation and booking numbers before you actually book the tickets? I can see if the T/A had said OK let me book these for you then went back and said the inventory was gone and I couldn't get you booked. However, she claims she got the booking number and confirmation which to me means that she indeed made the purchase.

B

bodega3

My clients get a copy of what I booked to approve before I ticket. BUT, we are talking about two different booking situations. When you book travel online, you are not booking into a live system. I am.

B

bodega3

BTW, I have encountered this with other online purchases. Sears gave me a confirmation number and even a shipping number to follow, but they never had the product in stock. I have also have found what Macy's website says to be different that what they actually have.

Jan 8, 2015
OK, so you aren't giving an actual reservation number then, you are giving a proposed itnerary to be accepted or denied? (where the on line booking agent may umber of seats on hold already and can give an instant confirmation number upon payment?)

B

bodega3

No, when I book from my GDS, there is a confirmation number in the reservation. But the fare isn't guaranteed until ticketed. I can get a confirmation number without ticketing. I have had the fare change on me during the ticketing entry and I can either accept it or cancel the ticketing request. But that has to do with a change in the fare, not availability.

I have never booked a ticket with an OTA to know exactly how it works, but I have read that the fare often does come back different, but you have 24 hours to cancel. Again, it is because what you see online isn't live.

Feb 6, 2015
Thanks for your response.
Bodega, I am confused. But there was a live person that we talked to and he did the booking for us online followed by sending us the reservation /confirmation number. Just clarifying.

B

bodega3

Thanks for your response.
Bodega, I am confused. But there was a live person that we talked to and he did the booking for us online followed by sending us the reservation /confirmation number. Just clarifying.
Oh, I thought you did this all online. Fares do change and like I said, I have had a fare change during the ticketing process. You can get a confirmation number with no ticket issue. I have hung up with a client, finished doing all the entries necessary for issuing a ticket, not wanting to keep a client on the phone for that and have the fare change. I then have to call back the client. Not sure where the agency is located and time of day, but if they didn't call and emailed, they at least let you know. This situation isn't unusual. Either you go with the new fare, look for something else or give up. Having dealt with UA and my credit card ticketing agency, the agents on the phone only do the reservations, they don't do the ticket issuing, so there is a bit of delay with the transaction.

Feb 6, 2015
Thanks Bodega, that makes sense, Well, called the travel agency earlier and was told that eticket would be issued in 6 hrs. Need to see what that will turn into.

B

bodega3

Just an FYI. Large agencies, tour companies, have agents who take your reservation, but the ticketing is done by a separate department. I know that even some brick and motor agencies use to wait until the end of the day to do the ticketing, spending the office hours with making the bookings.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm just curious about the 24hr rule ... I know I've waited several hours sometimes to get the email that my res has been ticketed. I assume the 24 hour rule starts at the time of ticketing ... but I take nothing for granted with the airlines any more. Am I wrong, or am I right?

B

bodega3

I can really only speak from the agency side when a ticket is issued in the GDS. The minute I hit enter with the ticketing entry, that starts the clock. With online purchases, I would think, but don't know, that it is when you hit buy that the clock starts or when the ticket actually gets issued. I once had a ticket that the carrier had to run, a change had to be made more than 24 hours later and when I called, the ticket hadn't yet been issued, so the change was allowed for no fee.