transit visa or vistor visa?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2016
I am a indian Passport holder without any USA green card or permnanent residency. I have multiple entry 10 years valid American visa though.
I am taking Alaska cruise starting from and sending in seattle in July. ship stops in only one Canadian port i.e Victoria British Columbia for 6 hrs. I am pretty sure by now that a visa is reqd. But a regular visa would cost 100 dollars each and 48 hr validity transit visa is free. My question is , will a transit visa sufficient?

if transit visa is sufficient just to pass through and not disembark, I might choose stay on board. is that a possible possibility.
need some expert advise pls

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should call the Canadian embassy to get correct information. We are volunteers here and certainly not experts at immigration rules for every country. We really don't have the expertise to give you the correct answer.

I am a travel agent and this is the same advice I would give to my clients.

@mallikarjuna Here's the link to the Canadian Embassy website... They have a tool that helps you choose the proper visa. I think you'll need a full tourist visa

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
I ran through his scenario - and it was less than helpful.

It said that I may be able to use the transit or less than 6 months visa. May is not an answer.

Sounds like he still needs to call the consulate.

Yet another victim of the Jones Act.

Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
I would just like to add to please not rely on the cruise line for advice. We have had countless stories of travellers like yourself that call the cruise line and take their word. Unfortunately, if the cruise line gives you the wrong information and subsequently denies you boarding, they will not refund your money. Please ensure you speak to the Canadian consulate.

Enjoy your cruise!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I hate to be dense here, but if you don't get off the ship, why would you need paperwork for Canada at all? Or is this another one of life's "there's no reason for it, it's just our policy"?

R

Realitoes

I hate to be dense here, but if you don't get off the ship, why would you need paperwork for Canada at all? Or is this another one of life's "there's no reason for it, it's just our policy"?
Even though you are on the ship, you are still within Canadian territory. It is much like persons from certain countries (citizenship) sometimes require transit visas even when they are just making flight connections.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Even though you are the ship, you are still within Canadian territory. It is much like persons from certain countries (citizenship) sometimes require transit visas even when they are just making flight connections.

I believe the requirement is based on the fact that the ship will anchor (dock) in a certain country so all on board would need to be approved for arrival in that country regardless if they step foot off the ship or not. If the ship were only sailing through a country's waters could you get away with not having the required documents.

Aug 28, 2015
My Expert advice. = Cruise lines are notorious for visa and passport errors and not understanding documentation. Pay the $100 and get yourself a regular Visa so as to ensure that there are no issues...real or imagined. Consider it to be the cost of travel. Spend it and don't look back. Get off the ship and enjoy Victoria! Bon Voyage.

Oct 5, 2015
Technically if you are merely transitting Canada, then the ship transported you between USA ports. That sounds like cabotage to me if that ship isn't flagged here. To go around the Spirit of the Law you really must play the game and Visit Canada and have your passport stamped. That way you can claim you were transported to Canada. Get a tourist visa, get out of boat and see Canada so you don't become a conspirator to cabotage.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Using the link @johnbaker provided, I believe you need a full tourist visa regardless and an eTA (Electrionic Travel Authorization) if you are travelling after March 15. You can call the Canadian consulate to verify if you wish. But look at things this way. You've paid a lot of money for the cruise, I'm guessing in the thousands. Why take the chance on losing it all - because they're not going to let you board if it's not right - over $100 and some time? If you have the visa and don't need it, you're out $100 and some time. If you don't have the visa and need it, you're out big $ and no cruise at all.

If it was me I'd get the visa and eTA (if the travel date is after March 15). It's penny wise and pound foolish not to get it, IMO.