Traffic ticket in Italy two years ago

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 12, 2019
Hello! My daughter and SIL went to Italy two years ago for their honeymoon. While there, they rented a car - he was the only driver on the rental agreement. About 14 months after their trip, she received what she assumed was a scam ticket from one of the local municipalities - since she was not on the rental agreement and never drove the car she figured it was fake and ignored it. Fast forward to today - I received a letter addressed to her at my address (where she has never resided as I did not own this home in 2017) from a collection agency demanding payment. The fine, fees, and interest are about $400.

Has anyone had success fighting these tickets, or does anyone know with certainty if this would impact her credit report?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is not unusual in Italy. You must know what you are doing in Italy- they have many areas that are no drive zones and they also have cameras that ticket speeders. And yes - taking 2 years to send the ticket is also not unusual. The authorities are reliant on the credit card company to provide the name of the renter. Dies your daughter still live at the address she lived at when she got the ticket? That can be why it took so long to get the ticket.

Are you saying they got a ticket but ignored it because they thought it was a scam? Was the car rental in her name? If so, they need to pay it.

And if they ever go back to Italy, they may have a real problem

http://www.initaly.com/travel/avoid_tickets.ht

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Sep 19, 2015
Collection agencies may not have the right address they may “carpet bomb” with bills.

What was the violation!

Nov 12, 2019
My daughter does live at the same address she did when the vehicle was rented. Also, her name wasn’t on the rental agreement at all - the car was rented in her husband’s name. It’s so strange that the initial ticket (that they thought was a scam) was sent to her and not her husband. They didn’t even have the same last name at the time of the trip, having just been married. And how would they send the most recent ticket to her at our address? We’ve Only lived here for a few months, and she has never had this address.

Reactions: jayxcess
Nov 12, 2019
Collection agencies may not have the right address they may “carpet bomb” with bills.

What was the violation!
Driving in a restricted zone I think. It’s just so strange - she’s never lived at our address and wasn’t on the rental agreement.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When a collection agency gets assigned a ticket, they do what collection agencies do to track down the consumer. Apparently they have some good detectives at this agency.

However- if the car rental was in her husbands name, she was not a named driver on the rental and her credit card wasn’t used for the rental- she may be able to go back to the collection agency and tell them had nothing to do with the rental or ticket and they will have to go after the husband. However- the longer they fight this the higher the fees are going to get until the ticket is paid.

It sounds like it was a legitimate ticket and they will continue until it’s paid.

Reactions: VoR61

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
I'd go to the agency and ask for some proof.. the actual ticket, some "trail" that got them from the ticket to the rental to your daughter if she had nothing to do with it. Her credit card wasn't used to pay for it? Her name was nowhere associated with it? How did they "get to her"? That's what bothers me...If it's legit, by all means pay it, but before I sent one red cent, I'd for dang sure want proof of that... and I'd want it in the right name, to ensure that down the road, another ticket doesn't mysteriously pop up in SIL's name...

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Everybody can now do searches on a name and will be told other names ‘associated’ with that person.
You can pay a fee to get the addresses and phone numbers. I would imagine that collection agencies have a subscription to the services.
So, if the woman is now living in a home owned or rented by her husband, she may not yet be ‘associated’ with him in the online world. BUT, she is definitely ‘associated’ with her father, no matter where they live.
My SIL lived with us for four months, in Dallas, back in 1985. She still lives in Dallas while we have since lived in FL, VA and the again FL.
About six months ago, social security and Medicare information began appearing in our FL mailbox, addressed to her. She does have the same last name as us.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
She contacted the agency and paid the ticket. Didn’t want the possibility of a mark on her credit report.

Thank you to everyone for the advice and information.
I still find it odd that they didn't seem to make any effort to find the SIL first though.. that still niggles at the back of MY neck, but as long as OP, daughter and SIL are all happy with the resolution, all's well that ends well. Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Reactions: jsn55

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Everybody can now do searches on a name and will be told other names ‘associated’ with that person.
You can pay a fee to get the addresses and phone numbers. I would imagine that collection agencies have a subscription to the services.
So, if the woman is now living in a home owned or rented by her husband, she may not yet be ‘associated’ with him in the online world. BUT, she is definitely ‘associated’ with her father, no matter where they live.
My SIL lived with us for four months, in Dallas, back in 1985. She still lives in Dallas while we have since lived in FL, VA and the again FL.
About six months ago, social security and Medicare information began appearing in our FL mailbox, addressed to her. She does have the same last name as us.
Yes, but why would they not have searched for the SIL first? It doesn't appear that anything came for him at all... or to his parents or to that address in HIS name, etc.. THAT is the weird thing that the FIRST and the ONLY notices they've received were all in the daughter's name. That's the hinky bit to me. When I worked for Bank One, the collections dept did look for associations but it wasn't "Step 1: Go after known associates".

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Yes, but why would they not have searched for the SIL first? It doesn't appear that anything came for him at all... or to his parents or to that address in HIS name, etc.. THAT is the weird thing that the FIRST and the ONLY notices they've received were all in the daughter's name. That's the hinky bit to me. When I worked for Bank One, the collections dept did look for associations but it wasn't "Step 1: Go after known associates".
They looked for a relative because the first letter that was sent to her (at the correct address) was ignored.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
They looked for a relative because the first letter that was sent to her (at the correct address) was ignored.
Again, the first letter was sent to HER... not the SIL who was the RENTER. You are missing my entire point which was why was the first contact with HER at all? The first contact should have been with the person who rented vehicle ... she should have been the LAST resort when they couldn't get hold of HIM. It appears they immediately went after HER.

Reactions: jsmithw

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Again, the first letter was sent to HER... not the SIL who was the RENTER. You are missing my entire point which was why was the first contact with HER at all? The first contact should have been with the person who rented vehicle ... she should have been the LAST resort when they couldn't get hold of HIM. It appears they immediately went after HER.
Once again, we are hearing from a father of a woman who had a husband who rented a car in Italy. ....
All of this is second/third hand information.
Elliott usually requires that the OP be the primary fact bearer in these forums.
I think there must be a lot of room here for error.
Obviously the Italian car rental agency had a connection between the woman and the man who rented the car.
Wehave not heard from the husband stating that he never received a ticket from Italy.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Once again, we are hearing from a father of a woman who had a husband who rented a car in Italy. ....
All of this is second/third hand information.
Elliott usually requires that the OP be the primary fact bearer in these forums.
I think there must be a lot of room here for error.
Obviously the Italian car rental agency had a connection between the woman and the man who rented the car.
Wehave not heard from the husband stating that he never received a ticket from Italy.
Entirely possible, but I *personally* find it hard to believe that if the SIL HAD received a ticket previously the daughter might have mentioned it to Mom when she called to say "Why is there a ticket from Italy in my mailbox?" Shrug.

Sep 22, 2015
She contacted the agency and paid the ticket. Didn’t want the possibility of a mark on her credit report.

Thank you to everyone for the advice and information.
I sincerely doubt that an unpaid traffic ticket from another country (or even this country) is an item that can legally go on a persons credit report.
Money wasted...unless she would go back to Italy or Europe

Reactions: jsn55
Feb 3, 2017
Not true; other countries have contracted with debt collection agencies here (and, elsewhere) - the agency buys the debt same as the do for other owed debts and then they pursue collection.

This global world of ours is changing all sorts of practices that did not exist in the past.

And, these agencies do have investigators that have all the means of obtaining personal data - creepy, sure but, a sad fact of life now.

Jun 24, 2019
I sincerely doubt that an unpaid traffic ticket from another country (or even this country) is an item that can legally go on a persons credit report.
Money wasted...unless she would go back to Italy or Europe
People do not have a credit report until someone asks the computer to generate one. Generally, there are two types of data. First, merchants who have contracted to share payment information with credit reporting agencies such as credit cards and lenders. Utilities typically do not participate but they can. Second, public sources such as judgment records and bankruptcy filings. There, the credit reporting agencies buy the same data from the companies who maintain the systems for the government. It is very unlikely that anyone's credit report, once generated, would contain an Italian traffic ticket, even if reduced to judgment in Italy. On the other hand, if the Italians sell the collection rights to a third party, usually for this stuff without recourse and at less than one cent on the dollar, an American collection agency may pursue the claims and may be a contracted reporter to credit reporting agencies. Sometimes those buyers of distressed debt may file suit (which gets you into the second reporting regime) but they really have no interest in any contested proceeding.