Toyota Tacoma frame rusting Issue.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 30, 2017
Hi all. I am a former Toyota dealership mechanic. I have owned 4 different Toyota pickups in the last 25 years. I tend to hold on to them for a while. I really like the dependability of Toyota vehicles.
Apparently, Toyota has been having problems with the frame rusting on the pickups. Some are so bad that they replace the frame.
My situation isn't so dire. I do have surface rust covering the complete frame. We all know rust does not go away. It just gets worse. I inherited this 2006 Tacoma 2 years ago. I noticed it had rust then. A couple months later I went to the local Toyota dealer, here in West Texas. I was told there is nothing they can do for me as there weren't holes in the frame.
I received a letter from Toyota stating that the Rust program was extended to Jan 31, 2019. So I went back to my local dealer, this morning, and was told the same thing. They would not be able to help.
I am not looking for a new frame, or a new truck. I am looking for Toyota to correct a defect. My 2006 Tacoma has a frame covered in rust. My 2004 Tacoma has a clean frame. I want Toyota to get rid of the rust and apply anti corrosive undercoating.
Thanks to all who read this. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The truck is 12 years old. I’m not sure why this should be something Toyota is expected to fix on a truck that age you aren’t the original owner. Was the truck located in a state that had a lot of snow and road salt that perhaps caused this?

What is the rust program and what is it supposed to cover?

We have company contacts on top of our page- use the contacts and see what Toyota says. You have nothing to lose. Have you called the corporate offices and told them the dealership refuses to fix the truck if the rust program is supposed to fix this?

Sep 30, 2017
The truck was originally owned by my father in law. We are all from San Diego. I live in Texas now. He lived in Iowa for 2 years. This truck was never in a place that salted the roads. The Rust campaign by Toyota covered trucks in 2006. It was originally 12 years after first use. The letter I have says it was extended to Jan 31 2019. All I know is that I have a 2004 Toyota with no rust. The two trucks were both bought in San Diego.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sep 30, 2017
Yes. I'm just hoping for a break. I plan on keeping the truck for the long term. What if I decide to sell it? People may look at the rust and say, No way.