Toyota - paint delaminating on Rav4

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 28, 2018
The issue is with Toyota on my 2010 Rav4 Limited. The paint on the roof between the windshield and moon roof is delaminating and leaving gray bare spots. The paint is blizzard pearl white. In researching this on google there are numerous consumers with this same issue and photos are the same area and paint color as mine. I was not able to find any resolutions from Toyota or recall for this issue.

I opened an incident with Toyota North America Headquarters Customer Service and of course they advised that my vehicle is out of warranty and there are no recalls on the paint. This vehicle only has 68,000 miles and now looks horrible. I was advised costs to repair are my responsibility. This obviously is an issue with either the paint or process that is causing the delamination. I have never experienced paint bubbling and peeling on any vehicles that I have owned, including other Toyota models.

I believe Toyota needs to stand behind the quality and workmanship of their products, and they should cover the cost to fix this issue. I need help in next steps I should take with escalating my complaint with Toyota.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I had this issue on a 12-year-old Coupe d'Ville from 1972. GM admitted that the paint (on the hood especially) started to deteriorate after a while. I just had her repainted once a year or so until she finally died at age 18. Expecting someone else to repair a 9 yr-old car is beyond my scope.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The issue is with Toyota on my 2010 Rav4 Limited. The paint on the roof between the windshield and moon roof is delaminating and leaving gray bare spots. The paint is blizzard pearl white. In researching this on google there are numerous consumers with this same issue and photos are the same area and paint color as mine. I was not able to find any resolutions from Toyota or recall for this issue.

I opened an incident with Toyota North America Headquarters Customer Service and of course they advised that my vehicle is out of warranty and there are no recalls on the paint. This vehicle only has 68,000 miles and now looks horrible. I was advised costs to repair are my responsibility. This obviously is an issue with either the paint or process that is causing the delamination. I have never experienced paint bubbling and peeling on any vehicles that I have owned, including other Toyota models.

I believe Toyota needs to stand behind the quality and workmanship of their products, and they should cover the cost to fix this issue. I need help in next steps I should take with escalating my complaint with Toyota.
if this car was parked outside then paint changes on the roof are not unexpected for 2010 vehicle. If this car was garaged then paint should not deteriorate in this time frame.

Last edited: