Tour company cancellation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 21, 2018
I contacted a tour company regarding a European tour scheduled for September, 2018. I verified the tour date and confirmed they had the minimum people booked to run the trip. (They offer a guaranteed trip with a two person minimum.). I contacted the tour company on Jan 30, put the tour on hold. I booked my flight on Jan 31st. Paid my deposit to the tour company on Feb 3rd. Then on Feb 19th, they email me saying they are canceling the tour because no one other than me signed up for it. First of all, I verified they already had two people, making me the third. And I have this in writing, by the way. Even if they only had me on board, this tour is seven months away, would they not allow more time for people to sign up?? Now I’m stuck with a $5,000 non refundable airfare. Other tour dates we don’t work. They offered me $500 off another tour. Any advice? Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have it in writing they guaranteed it you might be able to sue them for your airfare. Where are you going that the air was so expensive?

It does seem too early this Cancel this trip- they should allow more time for people to sign up.

Have you asked them to reimburse you for the air, telling them you have their guarantee in writing?

What is the name of the company?

Feb 21, 2018
Hi Neil,

I was going to France, and the airfare is business class. I definitely agree it seems too early to cancel, at least for the reason they have given. I told them I have in writing other people were also signed up, they say they have no record or maybe they canceled. I asked for airfare reimbursement; they said it is not their problem as it wasn’t booked through them. The company is Abercrombie & Kent. Thank you for your response.

Jan 6, 2015
In addition to Neil's questions, I have :
  • Does the credit card provider you used include any insurance for this situation?
  • Is there another tour company that might be able to satisfy your itinerary?
  • What type of tour is this?
You did not mention Trip Insurance, so I expect there is none. For future travels, always consider that.

Finally, you booked a trip based solely on one event, thereby making that event a "single point of failure". While that is certainly understandable and quite common, going forward I strongly suggest you have backup plan (or two). Insurance is definitely a part of that ...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Since the tour company is a well-known name, the trip cancellation so early says to me that there are other reasons they're cancelling it. It's not like you booked through Joe & Jerry's Tours. I assume that there is no issue refunding your tour deposit, so it's the air in play here. I would not ask them to reimburse you for the full air, but for the change/cancel fee. You can probably find 16 cool things to do in France at that time of year, but the timing would probably not be exact, so you'd need to rebook the air. For instance, the river companies have some mouth-watering cruises in France ... have you considered that? I have never met a single traveller who wasn't thrilled with their river cruise.

I would write A&K a polite letter and outline why you feel they should take care of you. Explain how you did your research and you were confident booking the air based on what they stated. Perhaps our researchers can come up with some executive contacts for this company. Stay off the phone and be sugar sweet, but firm. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Feb 21, 2018
In addition to Neil's questions, I have :
  • Does the credit card provider you used include any insurance for this situation?
  • Is there another tour company that might be able to satisfy your itinerary?
  • What type of tour is this?
You did not mention Trip Insurance, so I expect there is none. For future travels, always consider that.

Finally, you booked a trip based solely on one event, thereby making that event a "single point of failure". While that is certainly understandable and quite common, going forward I strongly suggest you have backup plan (or two). Insurance is definitely a part of that ...[/QUOTE
Since the tour company is a well-known name, the trip cancellation so early says to me that there are other reasons they're cancelling it. It's not like you booked through Joe & Jerry's Tours. I assume that there is no issue refunding your tour deposit, so it's the air in play here. I would not ask them to reimburse you for the full air, but for the change/cancel fee. You can probably find 16 cool things to do in France at that time of year, but the timing would probably not be exact, so you'd need to rebook the air. For instance, the river companies have some mouth-watering cruises in France ... have you considered that? I have never met a single traveller who wasn't thrilled with their river cruise.

I would write A&K a polite letter and outline why you feel they should take care of you. Explain how you did your research and you were confident booking the air based on what they stated. Perhaps our researchers can come up with some executive contacts for this company. Stay off the phone and be sugar sweet, but firm. Good luck and please keep us posted.

I checked with my credit card; unfortunately they cannot help with this situation. I added insurance through the airline, which covers illnesses and several other reasons, none of which are tour company just decides to cancel. I looked at other tour companies, and wasn’t thrilled with my choices. I’ve traveled extensively, and I’m specific about the type of tour I’m seeking. This tour starts in Paris and travels through the south.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is a big company- I agree you should approach the Executives and send them copies of the emails.

There are many other good your companies out there. Have you checked to see if another company has something for the same dates that might work with your flights? Check Tauck if you wanted higher end.

Feb 21, 2018
This is a big company- I agree you should approach the Executives and send them copies of the emails.

There are many other good your companies out there. Have you checked to see if another company has something for the same dates that might work with your flights? Check Tauck if you wanted higher end.

I have heard great things about Tauck, too. I didn’t find anything for the dates of this particular trip, but I will keep them in mind for future travels. I have sent the details of my situation to these executives. I am hopeful I get a good response.

Feb 21, 2018
Let us know what happens. I am really surprised about this - A & K is very high end and I would have thought they would have left this open longer.
Thanks so much ; I will be sure to update you. What a great forum here. I’m surprised too; I’ve used A&K in the past and it was a great experience. I hope they make things right.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks so much ; I will be sure to update you. What a great forum here. I’m surprised too; I’ve used A&K in the past and it was a great experience. I hope they make things right.
Thank you for the kind words, Lacey. We are all volunteers, and love to help travellers receive justice. I think you'll be surprised how quickly A&K steps up to the plate here.

Feb 21, 2018
Hi... just wanted to give you a quick update. Despite the fact that my ticket was non refundable, Expedia worked with Delta to refund me about $4,000. A&K reimbursed me for the remainder of the ticket. The process was frustrating and time consuming, but I’m very grateful for the outcome. Thanks for all the great support and advice here!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hi... just wanted to give you a quick update. Despite the fact that my ticket was non refundable, Expedia worked with Delta to refund me about $4,000. A&K reimbursed me for the remainder of the ticket. The process was frustrating and time consuming, but I’m very grateful for the outcome. Thanks for all the great support and advice here!
Wow, Lacey, GREAT JOB! I am so glad to know that you've been made whole. Unlike many travellers who run into trouble because they're not paying attention, you did your part and it's definitely on A&K to take care of you. Thanks so much for letting us know.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am so glad you stuck it through and didn't just take their word for it. What they did wasn't right and you shouldn't be holding the bag for those tickets.

We advise our clients not to book their air until a tour is confirmed if they are booking one that isn't yet confirmed. This is why. Glad that they all came through for you.