Toll Roads & Personal Transponders

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 19, 2014
It is worthwhile to check neighboring states to see if they have a free transponder option that will work in the state you are visiting. I see that North Carolina has a free transponder option that works in Florida, but the North Carolina website does not give any guidance to using the their system in a rental car so that might be a catch. In my case, I got an EZ-Pass transponder for the Northeast USA area and chose a state toll system that didn't charge for a transponder rather than the state I was actually visiting.
I have the NC transponder. The NC transponder is not free. You have to purchase it and add funds.

Pros:
Compatibility with BOTH Sunpass (Florida) and EZ pass (northeast + IL)
As long as there is activity in the past month, there is no monthly service fee
You can add and remove a license plate online.

Cons:
Customer service for NC is horrible
Customer service for NC is non-existent if you have an issue

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have the NC transponder. The NC transponder is not free. You have to purchase it and add funds.

Pros:
Compatibility with BOTH Sunpass (Florida) and EZ pass (northeast + IL)
As long as there is activity in the past month, there is no monthly service fee
You can add and remove a license plate online.

Cons:
Customer service for NC is horrible
Customer service for NC is non-existent if you have an issue
A MONTHLY service fee? That’s a first. Give me my EZ Pass and SunPass. I should be thankful to pay $20 for the transponder vs. paying if I don’t use it for a month.

Dec 19, 2014
A MONTHLY service fee? That’s a first. Give me my EZ Pass and SunPass. I should be thankful to pay $20 for the transponder vs. paying if I don’t use it for a month.
Neil, sorry.... I misspoke... if there is no activity in 1 year, there is a $5 monthly service fee.

Some of the EZ passes issued by the northeast states do charge a monthly fee of like $1-1.50/month.

Mar 20, 2019
The NC website seemed to indicate the NC transponder that was not EZPass did not require payment beyond the prepaid tolls. But your post brings up a related issue. Looking around the various state's website to get toll transponders many are not real clear as to what the fees are, and in some cases that information is only available after you create a user account on the site. Seems to me the toll agencies could do a better job of disclosing costs and fees to consumers.

Aug 29, 2018
Neil, sorry.... I misspoke... if there is no activity in 1 year, there is a $5 monthly service fee.

Some of the EZ passes issued by the northeast states do charge a monthly fee of like $1-1.50/month.
I recall New Jersey is one of those states. Or at least it was. I used to visit NJ regularly when my parents were alive, and needed to drive the Garden State Parkway. That had 50¢ tolls every ten miles or so. (Or something like that -- a lot of coins, regularly.) I considered getting an EZ Pass for the rentals, until I saw the monthly fee. Based on my use it would have doubled the tolls.

Ironic story -- I used to go to the bank before the trip to get a roll of quarters and a roll of half dollar coins for the toll booths. On one trip, I noted the half dollar coin seemed to have a different shine to it... When I next stopped, I looked at the roll, and discovered it was entirely silver half-dollar coins from as early as 1930.