Tokyo Traveler

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 11, 2018
Circumstances aside for the moment... I am looking for the best fare possible in flying to Tokyo. I’ve been researching and I find it all very confusing. There are three of us going and this is my bucket list trip. I’m a stage IV cancer patient and need to look at economy plus fares. It will be hard for me to sit in a small place for an extended period of time.
I’m leaving from LA rather then NY because my daughter is in San Francisco and it makes no sense to criss cross the country. The flight is April 11th and I’m staying till the 28th.
If you have any advice it would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Alisa Grodsky

Sent from my iPhone

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You can use any of the search engines (I tend to use Google flights when I am not using a specific airline, but that is just my preference) to check on airlines and fares, but then BOOK DIRECTLY with the airline online, or use a local travel agent. Because of your medical condition, you should strongly consider travel insurance that will allow you to cancel if you are unable to travel in April, unless you choose to purchase refundable tickets (which will be much more expensive). If you do not have the necessary insurance or refundable tickets you will lose the entire fare if you cannot travel. A local travel agent can also assist with travel insurance advice.

You will also need documentation from your physician that you are able to travel at the time you make your reservations to be able to obtain insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.

Jul 11, 2018
Thanks for the advice. I always get insurance when I travel and I’ve traditionally gone through the internet sites such as Hipmunk. Just wondering if there were any other possibility’s.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You can use Hipmunk to search, but would strongly advise that you book your flights directly with the airline, or through an agent. Coordinating three travelers may be easier through an agent who deals with travel to Japan on a regular basis to meet your goals of economy plus and lower fares. There are non-stop flights from SFO to Tokyo.

Mar 17, 2015
I agree with Neil, if this is a trip of a lifetime/ bucket list trip, call a real travel agent who knows about travel to Tokyo. They will have invaluable advice, be someone to call in case of a problem and handle all this for you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And buy travel insurance! We just had a relative who went to the DR, opted out of travel insurance and their son became infected by parasites and had to be hospitalized for 3 days down there.

He called and asked me why his health insurance didn’t cover them $8,000 bill. I again explained that he needed insurance for outside the US coverage and they opted out of it.

He had to increase his credit line on his card while he was down there because they wouldn’t even treat the son until he put up $2,000 at the hospital on his card

Feb 21, 2018
Let me also re-iterate what was stated about having documentation from your physician certifying that you are healthy to travel on the date that your insurance is purchased. Without proof of that, it won't matter at all whether pre-existing conditions are excluded, or you have cancel-for-any-reason coverage. Fitness to travel on the date the policy is purchased is vital.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Worked with one to book the trip. She want exactly helpful on the fights part
If she was not helpful about flights, you need to seek out an agent familiar with the destination you have chosen. Depending on where you live, you may need to utilize a real live travel agent/agency who is not in your local area. I have worked with several agents and agencies who are remote from where I live with good results. You can google "travel agents who specialize in Tokyo travel"

Nov 21, 2014
In the future, choose a TA who will do the research for you on flights too. Booking a trip without being willing to book the flights for you is not in your best interest. The flights are the part of international travel that gets the novice traveler in trouble! There are experienced travel agents available who will do the whole trip...few will only book flights even when they charge a fee. I do my own research but my agent books the flights...so he will be the problem solver if flights get canceled before or during our trips.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The travel agent advice is sound, TokyoTraveler. You want a real person, but are not restricted to someone local. It can all be done online, but it's important that the TA knows what they're doing. Do your own research for sure and then have the TA take over to do the booking and offer up all the important information and advice. Under no circumstances should you use an online booking service, you want a real travel agency. If you have specific questions, come back and we will advise you along the way.

If a TA has booked your trip, can someone else in that office help you with flights?