Tickets at Work did not cancel my hotel reservation after I asked them to!!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 4, 2021
I made a hotel reservation for the Aruba Marriott Resort through TicketsAtWork (a subsidiary of Entertainment Benefits Group). Due to Covid, I needed to cancel my trip and informed Tickets At Work to cancel on 3/31/21, well before the stated cancellation deadline of 4/15/21. I had disputed the form of refund I was getting (cash vs credit voucher), but maintained the need to cancel (I wasn't going on the trip, after all). I checked on status of my refund on 4/22 only to be told that they hadn't cancelled the reservation! I've been trying many different avenues to get any kind of refund back, to no avail. I have spent HOURS upon HOURS of my life on this and am out over $1700. Please help!!

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
Do you have your cancellation request to them in writing?

I’m also confused about your cancellation “due to COVID” for a 2021 trip…can you elaborate?

Reactions: Patina
Jun 4, 2021
The cancellation request was made over the phone with one of the company representatives, but there is a follow-up email that documents that the request was made.

I cancelled my trip after I heard of a Covid outbreak on Aruba at the end of March. Before booking, I made sure that both airline tickets and hotel reservations were fully cancellable. I had no issues with canceling the airfare, but clearly having a lot of issues with the Tickets at Work folks on the hotel.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Since you canceled, I assume in their cancellation policy it states you can cancel for free and get a cash refund and not free cancelations where you get a credit for what you paid.
What did their terms say?
Did you read their terms and conditions?

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Edit ...
It is the terms of TicketsAtWork that will count here not Marriott’s terms.
So if the hotel would refund 100% and TAW terms say your rate is non refundable you would be due no refund even though the hotel will give them the money back. They call this money "the profit". You should also be aware if the do refund you that they might have fees to process any refunds that they will take out from any refund. Most of similar OTAs have these fees listed in their terms and conditions.
This is why I rarely see any benefit to using OTAs to book a hotel as the small amount you save if things go well is not worth a big loss when things go badly. For the same or just a bit more I can book direct or with a brick and mortar travel agent.
If you did not read TAW’s terms and conditions when you booked you should do so now.

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 4, 2021
What did they say when you told them you had an email confirming your conversation?
They’ve indicated that they are trying to work it out with their “third party.” I assume that’s the hotel, but they won’t name them. They also indicate that it’s much harder to get money back after the dates passed (duh, that’s why I cancelled before the deadline). They keep saying they are working on it, but I can’t help but think this is a delay tactic & that they have no intention of giving me a refund.

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
They’ve indicated that they are trying to work it out with their “third party.” I assume that’s the hotel, but they won’t name them. They also indicate that it’s much harder to get money back after the dates passed (duh, that’s why I cancelled before the deadline). They keep saying they are working on it, but I can’t help but think this is a delay tactic & that they have no intention of giving me a refund.
Who charged your credit card? Tickets at Work or the hotel? This might be a candidate for a credit card dispute since you have the cancellation confirmation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They are responsible for not canceling when you told them to. They need to refund you and try to collect it on their end. Too bad if it’s a loss for them. If you have that email dated before cancellation fees were due- they owe you the money.

I would go back to them and tell them they made the error on their end, you expect a full refund for their error and they can try and collect from the hotel to pay themselves back. Tell them their errors and omissions insurance covers these type of mistakes.

Jun 4, 2021
Thanks all for your suggestions. They’re all good - & I know I’m in the right - but I’m not making any traction with them directly. Just spinning wheels. Need to go after them a diff way (tried credit card approach, but that didn’t work bc they sold me a voucher first & booked the reservation on that, shady as that sounds). Does anyone have any high-level contacts at this company? I’ve tried BBB & opened up a case thru Florida Attorney Generals office. Any other consumer advocacy entities I can go through? Is legal action my only alternative here?

Reactions: FrankL183

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
, but that didn’t work bc they sold me a voucher first
Here is the real problem.
You booked your hotel with this voucher. Alas you no longer have any right to a cash refund. You should be refunded in kind. And as you booked with a voucher you get a voucher back. It will not matter you paid cash for the voucher unless this company had in it‘s terms you could get cash back ( I would be very surprised if it did). So you should forget a cash refund and concentrate on what you might get. That would be another voucher. You are not going to succeed with any attempts to force them to give you any cash.
You should not be able to win any legal action to get cash back as you are not due cash back.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jsn55 and Nancy