Ticketing Scam in Shanghai

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately your luck ran out. And as far as insurance, you do realize if you fell and broke your leg a week before your flight, most insurance would reimburse you for the flight and hotel! Or if you had a heart attack while traveling you would have to pay in advance for the doctors and hospital if this happens outside the US?

I hope this never happens but if it does I hope you have a high line of available credit. We had a client who had a heart attack in a cruise ship and had to be helicoptered off to Panama, was in the hospital for 2 weeks and had to have a private flight home with a nurse. $100,000 in medical bills- all reimbursed by the insurance company.

Mar 9, 2019
I have had a great relationship with my bank for 23 years and if the charge back is refused I will sit down with the manager will all documentation and appeal the case. I think between doing this, maybe getting a credit for a flight and just now I was notified by Cheapo Air that I have a good chance of a partial refund, all will work out to the best with some loss on my part but not a total loss - certainly not pay the scam part being told one price and getting a bill for a higher price.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@James Steamer Good luck with your review. The sad fact is that unless you have millions in deposits, they aren't going to just eat your charge.

You have no, 0, zip grounds for a charge back. You've already admitted publicly it wasn't fraud. You've admitted that you entered into the contract. You've admitted that all parties involved lived up to their T&Cs. Not wanting to pay someone who lived up to the contract isn't grounds for a chargeback.

Most banks outsource charge back processing. Your local branch isn't going to have a say. Your bank isn't going to have grounds to get the money from anyone else. Everyone else lived up to the terms of their agreement with you. You failed to check in on time. It really doesn't matter why. So, the only question will be if your business is worth the bank taking a thousand dollar plus write down. If you fail to pay the bill, they're going to send it to collections and hit your credit rating both of which will cost you significantly more.

My advice in the future is to go find a travel agent to help you make your bookings and stay away from saving $5 booking with CheapO

Sep 19, 2015
The health insurance situation in this country is a mess no disagreement there — but a 100% healthy lifestyle is no guarantee. It is wrong to think that all people get sick because of unhealthy lifestyle choices.

With a through ticket one will not lose the value of the ticket if there is a delay— as I said it happened to me with immigration.

One always has to balance risk versus rewards.

Was the Alaska Airlines flight ever canceled?

Aug 30, 2015
How would I activated roaming? Buy sim card in Korea before the flight?

Insurance over the long run is a disastrous waste of money about 99% of the time. If I bought medical insurance over the last 40 years I estimate I would be out well over half a million dollars including its value invested in stocks - a 100% risk of a poor lifestyle and no exciting world travel. The risk of needing the insurance (One month's health insurance would cost me more than I have spent on health care total in 61 years!) is perhaps 2-3%. The medical industry here is a total scam. Anyways there is something wrong when one buys a plane ticket and lines, bad weather, mechanical failure, etc. cancels or makes it impossible to make a flight causes one to lose the entire value of their ticket - those risks should not exist and the airlines should not have this level of power. I have been an exceedingly responsible traveler for years and never had this problem.
I'll answer your roaming question - I assume you have a mobile phone. If it is on a postpaid carrier, you have to make sure that it is set up to allow you to roam on a cost effective basis. AT&T calls it international day pass, and other carriers have names for theirs too. All you do, once your account is enabled for this, is to turn on your phone and enable roaming. If you're not set up for it, then it is considerably less attractive an option. Even if it is your habit to not use the roaming, it is advisable to have it set up in case you need it. At the end of the day, it us up to you as to what you do to equip yourself when travelling, and this affects your ability to deal with things Were I in your situation, I would have already had my phone set up and would have just used the mobile data to get the boarding pass.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'll answer your roaming question - I assume you have a mobile phone. If it is on a postpaid carrier, you have to make sure that it is set up to allow you to roam on a cost effective basis. AT&T calls it international day pass, and other carriers have names for theirs too. All you do, once your account is enabled for this, is to turn on your phone and enable roaming. If you're not set up for it, then it is considerably less attractive an option. Even if it is your habit to not use the roaming, it is advisable to have it set up in case you need it. At the end of the day, it us up to you as to what you do to equip yourself when travelling, and this affects your ability to deal with things Were I in your situation, I would have already had my phone set up and would have just used the mobile data to get the boarding pass.
Or switch to T-mobile and have 200+ countries included in your plan at no additional cost.

Aug 30, 2015
Or switch to T-mobile and have 200+ countries included in your plan at no additional cost.
There are many options, including Google Fi. My point is that there are ways to get on the "net' to check in without going to a special machine to get your ID scanned, like non-Chinese apparently need to do at Shanghai Airport.

Jan 6, 2015
Online check-in will work as long as a flyer has not checked bags. Otherwise they still need to go to the counter . . .

Mar 9, 2019
Maybe I should see what Verizon offers. The WiFi was not working at the Seoul airport and in China one must have a Chinese phone number to get WiFi at airports so this made check in rather difficult. Normally I receive an email from the airline reminding me to check in 24 ahead but did not either though can't totally blame United for this. As for health insurance Christina, insurance is the major cause of what makes medical care absurdly over priced and I don't have anything to do with it. Additionally, had I purchased and wasted my money on insurance for the last 40+ working years I would still be buried in debt (I have none), have a lousy credit score (Mine is over 800), still have to work full time, and not be traveling. The risk is well worth it if one is healthy and works to stay that way though buying insurance for short term travel to dangerous places could be worth it.

Sep 19, 2015
Again medical insurance is a mess in this country and beyond the issue.

Various cell phone providers have packages for mobile data roaming and that can be helpful where access to WiFi may be restricted. Some airports are very restricted and others give very little free wifi. It is good to have as a back up as one can be on a bus with no wifi and there be traffic problems, etc.

I do not know how the email check in reminders work with an OTA, like cheapo, if there can be an interface problem.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Status
Not open for further replies.