Ticketing Scam in Shanghai

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2017
It's likely no one is answering about the discrepancy between flight amounts because no one here knows why you were charged a different amount than you were told; do you have breakdown of the price of the ticket (mine all show the details of the charges on a flight ticket). Do you have the $879 in writing? I presume you received a receipt when you paid that amount at the airport, yes?

So you could not check in online 24 hours in advance (as many airlines allow - or even 48 hours as some others allow)?

Still all confusing a bit - Why are you mentioning China? When were you in China? Seems this whole trip began with your flight Seoul to Baltimore -

You say you bought a one-way ticket Seoul to Baltimore which indicates your entire flight itinerary was not one ticket.

You chose a flight that arrived in Baltimore 3 hours before your next flight so, in fact, when you arrived at Baltimore was within your control as long as it landed on time. You chose that flight. That is not a lot of time between flights these days given all the steps (immigration, security, needing to check luggage, etc) Choosing an earlier flight would likely have been a much better choice and you would have avoided this situation.

Not sure your travel insurance would cover such a situation (as I'm still not sure I am understanding it all correctly) - but, you might check with them - but, based on what I do understand, I would think they wouldn't cover this.

Sep 19, 2015
How was this ticket booked? One ticket or two separate? What airlines and flights were involved?

As many have said boarding and check in times have nothing to do with each other.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you. I am exhausted now from writing to several sites at United, filing for charge back with my bank. One thing is certain - I am not paying for two tickets to the same place no matter. Gotta stay grounded in principles. Yes I was booked to BWI through San Francisco and Chicago for a total of three flights. Originally I was booked to LAX to BWI, the second leg on Alaska Airlines. I filed with Alaska but we will see. Cheap o Air will not refund the original flight.
You may have no choice. If you had checked in the night before and had a boarding pass this wouldn’t have been an issue- you haven’t answered our questions about if you had one or not so we can only assume you didn’t do online check in the day before.

Since you booked through Cheapo(which you didn’t disclose) United won’t deal with you- you need to go through Cheapo I’m sorry to say.

Is there a reason you didn’t check in the night before?

I totally understand your frustration but this all could have been avoided if you checked in online the night before.

I’m also confused on what China has to do with this if this happened in Seoul. You could have checked in online while you were in the immigration line.

Jan 6, 2015
As you continue to post, James, you add details that changes the context. Perhaps these do not seem relevant to you here (in this forum), but they affect the advice we can offer. Let me see if I can encapsulate your timeline:
  • You purchased a portion (all?) of this one-way "ticket" through Cheap-O-Air
  • The itinerary was Seoul-Shanghai-San Francisco-Chicago-Baltimore
  • You arrived in Shanghai 3 hours before the scheduled departure of your connecting flight with United
  • In Shanghai, you were required (by China) to process through "an immigration line" prior to checking in (at the United counter)
  • They were woefully understaffed (one agent for 700 passengers), resulting in a two hour delay before you reached the counter
  • At that point you were 50 minutes from scheduled departure and were forced to pay $879 for an alternate flight to SFO
  • This caused a chain reaction of ?????????
If the above is correct, your case would hinge on two things: the requirement to process through immigration, and the understaffing by United. Taking this one step further, then, you should request (my opinion) a refund from United for $879 ($1009).

I strongly urge you NOT to cancel your credit card dispute. Once they contact United (or others), you lose your ability to negotiate. We have seen this, and ruining your credit will haunt you for years to come.

Finally, I would stay away from the phrase "beyond my control". While true, they may counter that long lines are beyond theirs. And then a stalemate occurs. Just tell them you were required by China to "stand in line" and that United was very understaffed. The facts will rule the day, and a straightforward, polite approach works best. Your anger, while understandable, will not win them over to your side . . .

Jan 6, 2015
I see. Thought he were waiting to get to the United counter. So, then, compensation would be nothing? (can't appeal to Chinese immigration)

Dec 19, 2014
VoR61, I also think you mean to say "I strongly urge you to cancel your credit card dispute." This is not a valid chargeback.

A realistic outcome would be for him to be allowed to use the ticket value of the unused flight towards a future purchase on an United flight. A refund would be an exceptional goodwill gesture

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
VoR61, I also think you mean to say "I strongly urge you to cancel your credit card dispute." This is not a valid chargeback.

A realistic outcome would be for him to be allowed to use the ticket value of the unused flight towards a future purchase on an United flight. A refund would be an exceptional goodwill gesture
That’s really the only option but if has to be done politely and he has to go through Cheapo, not United. And Cheapo is going to be the problem.

James if you want to write a letter and post it here before sending it we can help you with appealing to Cheapo. We can mahe sure that it’s worded the best way to get them to help.

Jan 6, 2015
It just occurred to me that James could ask for compensation in the form of reduced airfare for the new ticket (i.e., not the walk-up rate) . . .

Sep 19, 2015
I see. Thought he were waiting to get to the United counter. So, then, compensation would be nothing? (can't appeal to Chinese immigration)

He wrote that it was 2 hours in immigration line— so that takes UA off the hook.

I do not think there are easy international to international transfers especially on different airlines in Shanghai — and even for transit one may be made to pass through immigration.

Sep 19, 2015
The details of the Cheapo air ticketing are needed. Was it separate tickets or one? Cheapo does do Value Deals which has a warning about the change fees.

Mar 9, 2019
I originally purchased the ticket one way from Seoul to Shanghai through LAX to BWI from Cheapo. The United part was to LAX and Alaska Airlines to BWI. I filed for a refund with Alaska also though obviously don't expect or even want to receive more back than I paid (getting refunded for the replacement ticket and the one I used). I just expect the refund for the ticket issued in Shanghai. I arrived in Shanghai from Seoul right on time at 5:30PM with a full 3 hours before the next flight but the damn immigration line was the entire problem which wasted about two hours and caused me to miss my flight. I have traveled around the world a lot and never been forced to deal with immigration merely to transfer flights. China is truly awful to deal with. I was not given a receipt for my credit card purchase of the second ticket and the credit card bill says "Yaun Lu Business 920043 Shanghai", not United Airlines. I was told the cost was $879.00 but the bill came for $1009. Something is terribly wrong here and you can be certain that I am not paying.

Mar 9, 2019
As you continue to post, James, you add details that changes the context. Perhaps these do not seem relevant to you here (in this forum), but they affect the advice we can offer. Let me see if I can encapsulate your timeline:
  • You arrived in Shanghai 3 hours before the scheduled departure of your connecting flight with United
  • In Shanghai, you were required (by China) to process through "an immigration line" prior to checking in (at the United counter)
  • They were woefully understaffed (one agent for 700 passengers), resulting in a two hour delay before you reached the counter
  • At that point you were 50 minutes from scheduled departure and were forced to pay $879 for an alternate flight to SFO
If the above is correct, your case would hinge on two things: the requirement to process through immigration, and the understaffing by United. Taking this one step further, then, you should request (my opinion) a refund from United for $879 ($1009).

I strongly urge you NOT to cancel your credit card dispute. Once they contact United (or others), you lose your ability to negotiate. We have seen this, and ruining your credit will haunt you for years to come.

Finally, I would stay away from the phrase "beyond my control". While true, they may counter that long lines are beyond theirs. And then a stalemate occurs. Just tell them you were required by China to "stand in line" and that United was very understaffed. The facts will rule the day, and a straightforward, polite approach works best. Your anger, while understandable, will not win them over to your side . . .
The original ticket I purchased in November was through '

The original ticket I purchased back in November was through Cheapo for a one way flight from Seoul through Shanghai to LAX to BWI. The segment from LAX to BWI was on Alaska Airlines. I flew from Seoul to Shanghai arriving on time at 5:30PM with 3 hours to transfer to my flight to LAX. The absurdly long immigration line required at the airport wasted about 2 hours. I arrived at the United Ticket counter 50 minutes before flight time but they would not let me check in and give me boarding passes and forced me to buy another ticket to get back to Baltimore (BWI). This ticket should obviously have been at no cost since immigration caused me to miss the first flight - something obviously I had zero control over. I would accept a $1009 credit toward more flying instead of a refund if United offers me this. This second ticket they issued me would have forced me to sleep over at the SFO airport so the nice United agent in SFO deleted that lousy flight at no cost and put me through Chicago to BWI within an hour. I don't ever pay for things that are no fault of mine no matter my credit, etc. I live by principles.

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry but I still do not understand. What airline was the Seoul to Shanghai flight? Was it the China Eastern ?

Did you buy separate tickets? Was it a value deal on Cheapo air?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would urge you to study the rules and define the terms for international travel so you understand how the process works. My colleagues have given you a great deal of information, all of it valid. It would be a shame for you to ruin your personal credit rating because you did not understand what happened and will not take responsibility for it. Flying has changed so radically in the last few years that even frequent travellers get caught out "not following the rules". I would suggest that you use a real travel agent for any international travel in the future. Using the services of something named "cheapo" is never a good idea.

Mar 9, 2019
I have used various sites to get the best deals, not always cheapo by any means. I have made my case so clear that I don't see why some people still act confused. This was all booked with cheapo back in November. I only flew the first segment from Seoul.
First flight I Flew to Shanghai:
Shanghai Airlines
Flight 5034
Aircraft: 321
Airbus Jet 321 120-180 STD SEATS
Operated by CHINA EASTERN AIRLINES
Nonstop | Coach

Fri, Mar 01, 2019
Seoul Incheon, South Korea
ICN - 04:20 pm

Shanghai Pu Dong, China
PVG - 05:30 pm