Ticket Refund for family displaced by Tubbs Fire

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 8, 2017
We purchased 2 tickets for American Airlines for November 8th, 2017 from SFO to Austin, Texas. However our family lost our home in the Tubbs fire in Fountaingrove and are no longer able to take this trip. We are seeking a refund. What are our options? Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I so sorry. This should be the last thing that you need to worry about after losing your home but I am very hopeful that AA will help you.

Were you able to cancel the flight? (This was most certainly not on your mind trying to save your lives)

We have company contacts on top of our page. Get the contacts for this company and write to the customer service email address.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll tell
you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Adrian, I can't imagine how devastating this is; I spent the afternoon with a friend whose house didn't burn but the flames came very close and the entire interior is ruined. We are at a big event in Kentucky and she had to scramble to put some clothes and travel things together. My heart breaks for her and for your family.

I hope you were able to cancel before the flight time. American can be quite prickly to deal with, but Neil has laid it all out for you. If you wish to compose a draft letter and post it, we will be happy to critique it for you. Our motto is "polite, patient and persistent' and is quite successful. We will do anything we can to help you get your refund.

This may be the last thing on your mind right now, but often you can get a credit towards a future flight far more easily than a refund ... is there any possibility of taking a trip on American in the near future? You can certainly ask that the cancel/change fee be waived and the full value of your tix available to you.

What a terrible situation. I often wonder how people recover from this sort of devastation.

I don't know if this is even plausible, but check your homeowner's insurance policy to see if incidental things such as your trip cancellation due to the loss of your home might be covered. One call to your agent should get you an answer. If it's not covered, follow @Neil's advice and hope that AA has some compassion.