Thrifty will not provide supporting documents for damage and fees

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 28, 2015
I 'll stick to the main points.I don't have the exact amounts in front of me so I rounded to what i can remember at the moment. I can get those later since I am at work.

Back in the end of October 2014, the wife and I went to Florida. We rented a car from Thrifty and while in route to my parents house about 90 minutes north of Tampa (which we rented the car from), I was rear ended at a traffic light. The rear bumper / trunk lid was damaged on the rental and no one was hurt (low speed collision). The pickup truck that rear ended us had no damage and he wasn't hurt either. He admitted to us and the cop that his foot slipped off the brake. The cop decided not to issue a citation. I have a police report issued at the scene.

I rented the car with a American Express credit card, which has their own premium protection policy for car rental damage.

I received a ESTIMATE letter in November for $1400.00+ dollars. This included estimated damages and fees (loss of use, Estimate fees, Doc fees). There were attempted phone calls and many emails, mainly requesting supporting documentation for the charges, which the AMEX policy was willing to pay most of minus doc fees and estimate fees. Thrifty (also know as the Dollar Thrifty Auto Group), provided the AMEX policy contact with supporting info for the damage of $1200.00+ (this took a LONG time to happen). The AMEX policy paid that amount (check for $1200.00+ cashed in Dec 2014) and were willing to pay the use of loss fees but needed supporting documents from Thrifty. Amy, from the AMEX policy group, explained to me I would be responsible for doc fees and a appraisal fee. This came to like $250-$300 on the initial letter. Ok fine I thought. I'll pay that if I have to. We both tried several times to get some documented info for the loss of use fees so this route could be pursued (It still hasn't happened).

Now this week I have another ESTIMATE letter, that is worded exactly as the first just with different dollar amounts, that has another lower amount. I am assuming this is for additional damage costs that may have been found under the cosmetics but Thrifty is refusing to provide any documentation on anything else. I would think they would say that or something similar in this 2nd letter but no. It looks exactly the same as the initial letter.

Amy from AMEX asked via email in regards to the additional charges and Thrifty is refusing to answer anything other than "we do not need to provide supporting documents". I am currently waiting to hear back from Amy from my AMEX policy to see if she can pay the damages.

I can provide documents and photos if needed.

I didn't want to use my personal auto policy for the rental in case damage happened and I was worried my rates would go up if something did happen. I had this Premium Car Protect available thru American Express so I have been using that my last several rentals. This AMEX coverage has paid $1200.00 + to date.

Amy for the AMEX policy has been great, even calling me with info. Ashley from Thrifty has been awful. When you call her it either goes to voicemail or the voicemail box is FULL. She has yet to return any of my calls.

Any advice how I can go about this? I am somewhat willing to pay the now $350+ dollars for the fees listed in the 2nd letter received this week, reluctantly since the AMEX policy would pay the loss of use with documentation, but the $698.00+ they are seeking in additional for damages has come 10+ weeks later from the initial estimate and I can't believe the costs / time frame. No paperwork will be provided? Something seems fishy to me honestly.

Any advice?

I have requested via email, from the Thrifty contact Ashley, info to speak to someone higher up. I am waiting on Amy at Amex as well to see if they will pay any additional damage costs. Amy from AMEX mentioned before she could but needs supporting docs.

Help!

Jim Niezgoda

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
I 'll stick to the main points.I don't have the exact amounts in front of me so I rounded to what i can remember at the moment. I can get those later since I am at work.

Back in the end of October 2014, the wife and I went to Florida. We rented a car from Thrifty and while in route to my parents house about 90 minutes north of Tampa (which we rented the car from), I was rear ended at a traffic light. The rear bumper / trunk lid was damaged on the rental and no one was hurt (low speed collision). The pickup truck that rear ended us had no damage and he wasn't hurt either. He admitted to us and the cop that his foot slipped off the brake. The cop decided not to issue a citation. I have a police report issued at the scene.

I rented the car with a American Express credit card, which has their own premium protection policy for car rental damage.

I received a ESTIMATE letter in November for $1400.00+ dollars. This included estimated damages and fees (loss of use, Estimate fees, Doc fees). There were attempted phone calls and many emails, mainly requesting supporting documentation for the charges, which the AMEX policy was willing to pay most of minus doc fees and estimate fees. Thrifty (also know as the Dollar Thrifty Auto Group), provided the AMEX policy contact with supporting info for the damage of $1200.00+ (this took a LONG time to happen). The AMEX policy paid that amount (check for $1200.00+ cashed in Dec 2014) and were willing to pay the use of loss fees but needed supporting documents from Thrifty. Amy, from the AMEX policy group, explained to me I would be responsible for doc fees and a appraisal fee. This came to like $250-$300 on the initial letter. Ok fine I thought. I'll pay that if I have to. We both tried several times to get some documented info for the loss of use fees so this route could be pursued (It still hasn't happened).

Now this week I have another ESTIMATE letter, that is worded exactly as the first just with different dollar amounts, that has another lower amount. I am assuming this is for additional damage costs that may have been found under the cosmetics but Thrifty is refusing to provide any documentation on anything else. I would think they would say that or something similar in this 2nd letter but no. It looks exactly the same as the initial letter.

Amy from AMEX asked via email in regards to the additional charges and Thrifty is refusing to answer anything other than "we do not need to provide supporting documents". I am currently waiting to hear back from Amy from my AMEX policy to see if she can pay the damages.

I can provide documents and photos if needed.

I didn't want to use my personal auto policy for the rental in case damage happened and I was worried my rates would go up if something did happen. I had this Premium Car Protect available thru American Express so I have been using that my last several rentals. This AMEX coverage has paid $1200.00 + to date.

Amy for the AMEX policy has been great, even calling me with info. Ashley from Thrifty has been awful. When you call her it either goes to voicemail or the voicemail box is FULL. She has yet to return any of my calls.

Any advice how I can go about this? I am somewhat willing to pay the now $350+ dollars for the fees listed in the 2nd letter received this week, reluctantly since the AMEX policy would pay the loss of use with documentation, but the $698.00+ they are seeking in additional for damages has come 10+ weeks later from the initial estimate and I can't believe the costs / time frame. No paperwork will be provided? Something seems fishy to me honestly.

Any advice?

I have requested via email, from the Thrifty contact Ashley, info to speak to someone higher up. I am waiting on Amy at Amex as well to see if they will pay any additional damage costs. Amy from AMEX mentioned before she could but needs supporting docs.

Help!

Jim Niezgoda
Dear Mr. Niezgoda,

The first thing you need to do is start putting everything in writing. No more phone calls! And as Gigster said, it's time to escalate to Thrifty corporate.

Start by sending a short, polite email to the Primary Contact at the link Gigster provided. Give him a week to get back to you. If he doesn't or you don't like what he has to say, escalate your appeal to the Chief Executive.

Save all your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to send your "paper trail" to Chris for review at http://www.elliott.org/help/.

Good luck!

Grant

Jan 28, 2015
Thanks for the responses. Right now I have followed the link from Gigster and sent a email with the copies of their two estimate letters to customercare@thrifty.com. I'll see if I get any response. I don't see any one's particular name listed for Thrifty. I understand Thrifty was purchased by Budget so I sent a email to someone listed from AvisBudget.

We shall see if I hear anything.

Jan 8, 2015
Jim, am I to assume that the driver of the truck did not have insurance? And if not then why did he not get cited? I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out why you have done all this leg work and are willing to pay out of pocket for something that his insurance company should have taken care of long ago.

Jan 28, 2015
Yes he had insurance (Progressive). Initially I was told that Thrifty was pursuing Progressive to pay. There was no action so now Thrifty uses the renters insurance. AMEX, which paid the damages from the first letter, is now pursuing against Progressive for repayment of those funds. Florida is a NO FAULT state. Also the cop said he didn't cite the guy because he was honest and decided not to ticket him. I don't see why but it's the cops personal decision (he was older like late 50's early 60s and this was in LEE COUNTY, FL which is generally a retirement area).

Oct 10, 2014
I'm second to Mike. You should have your auto insurance get involved or at least explain the situation to them, which I did. I told my insurance company how much damage I'm looking at and how it would affect my premium. I was told, in general terms, that my claim ($1,700+ minus $500 deductible) wouldn't increase my premium. I was also told that the claim department of my insurance company would scrutinize the damage claim and would obtain additional documents from Hertz for me if necessary. Ultimately, I decided not to use my insurance and to dispute the damage claim myself instead. This way, you should be able to make an informed decision, I hope.

It really doesn't make sense that you are paying out of pocket when the accident was 100% fault of the other driver.

P.S. You should be careful when contacting AMEX. They might take back the check if they find out your auto insurance can cover the damage.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2015
I'll ask my personal auto insurance for their advice. Its a NO FAULT state meaning that regardless who is at fault, individual insurance pays.I'm going to try to call Progressive later to see what they say.

Oct 10, 2014
Are you sure about that? I have no idea about no fault policy, but as far as I can google, it applies to personal injury, but not to collision damage to a vehicle. Anyways, your agent should be able to tell you what is covered at what cost.

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
Thanks for the responses. Right now I have followed the link from Gigster and sent a email with the copies of their two estimate letters to customercare@thrifty.com. I'll see if I get any response. I don't see any one's particular name listed for Thrifty. I understand Thrifty was purchased by Budget so I sent a email to someone listed from AvisBudget.

We shall see if I hear anything.
Hi newdhp,

I'm not sure what you mean by, "I don't see anyone's particular name listed for Thrifty." At the link Gigster provided, the two executives below are listed as Thrifty's executive contacts:

Primary contact

R. Scott Anderson

Senior Executive Vice President – Operations and Global Sales and Marketing
rscott.anderson@dtag.com
OR
scott.anderson@dtag.com

Chief executive (*)

Scott L. Thompson

President and Chief Executive Officer
scott.thompson@dtag.com
Grant

Jan 28, 2015
The rental company contact link elsewhere on this site has the major companies listed, but not Thrifty. http://elliott.org/class/car-rental-2/

This link is at the start of the rental forum.
I did find that info elsewhere and reposted it on the link above.

Thanks. I have contacted Progressive myself and will be talking to the case rep when she is available. From what I understood, Thrifty should have done this.

Jan 28, 2015
Well I just spoke to the Progressive rep. The man that hit me actually called Progressive the day of the accident and told them he hit a silver rental car (and make) but had no other information. I guess lost or never got a police report? Progressive had a claim# that was still open. They thanked me for providing detailed information, pics and documents. Thrifty NEVER contacted them!

I want to know what in the heck that branch of DTAG does? Sounds like not much to me ( Myself and another had many unanswered calls and emails).

She has already contacted Thrifty so we will see how it goes!

Thanks to those that offered input! God bless you! I'll post more when I hear something.

B

bodega3

Was AX primary or secondary? Progressive is the one responsible for covering this and also should have contacted the rental car company. Were you on the phone to your primary carrier minutes after the collision?

Jan 28, 2015
AMEX was my primary. As for Progressive covering it ok but the guy didn't have any info so Progressive didn't know the driver (me) or the car rental company. I stated that above. I reported it to AMEX right after I called the cops. I was on the phone with them before they even showed up. Thrifty told me there was no response from Progressive which I now found is a lie. There was NO information in either of their systems.

B

bodega3

Didn't your insurance company want the name of the driver and the policy number when you called? Did the driver of the other car take your information? This is his problem and sad you are spending time on it.

Jan 28, 2015
No they didn't because the police report wasn't filled out yet. He was with the cop when he showed up which was while I was on the phone. I did give it to them later on.

The driver did not take my information. He had NOTHING. That was why he called his Progressive insurance and said he was in a accident with a silver car. I don't even think he had or kept the police report.

Yes it is sad. One 5-10 minute call from Thrifty and this may have been problem solved.

B

bodega3

When I was hit, I immediately called my insurance company and put the other driver on the phone. Your insurance company should not have hung up until they got the other dirver's information. His insurance company should have done the same thing.

Jan 28, 2015
He didn't call his at the scene surprisingly. In this case its a mute point. This was a rental car and they process the claim. All I can do is provide insurances and driver information. If it was my personal auto or using my personal auto insurance yes I agree. However some cops want the drivers separate so there are no heated disputes.

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
The rental company contact link elsewhere on this site has the major companies listed, but not Thrifty. http://elliott.org/class/car-rental-2/

This link is at the start of the rental forum.
I did find that info elsewhere and reposted it on the link above.

Thanks. I have contacted Progressive myself and will be talking to the case rep when she is available. From what I understood, Thrifty should have done this.
Hi newdhp,

I see what happened with the Thrifty executive contacts. Our Company Contacts pages were lost in a programming accident last summer. We're slowly repopulating them, but haven't gotten around to Thrifty yet. The link Gigster provided to you is an old one, but hopefully, the contacts are still valid. When you email them, if your emails bounce back or you don't receive any responses, please let me know and our research team will scout up some fresh info. Sorry about the confusion.