Thrifty Fort Myers - Exorbitant toll admin fees

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 11, 2019
Hello Everyone,
Probably you might be aware of this issue with Thrifty. I recently rented a car from Thrifty, Fort Myers airport location on Dec 15th for 2 days. This is our first visit to Miami in last 10 years and have not rented from Thrifty for some time.Therefore was not aware of the hidden admin fees of $9.99 per each usage of the toll.
The guy at the counter did not say a word about the platepass for toll fees and its exorbitant admin fees of $9.99 for each toll usage. I now have a bill of $66 of which $60 is for admin fees. Is there a way to dispute this? or my admin fees waived partially or completely.
If the guy the counter had told me I would have rented the toll transponder and avoided this agony.
Request your help.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
For all the years I’ve rented a car in Florida, not a single rental company has told me about the transponders.

The only thing you can try to fight is any fee the car rental company might have charged. The tolls are the tolls and are owed if you drive on a toll road.

Jan 11, 2019
yeah obviously I do not have issues with the toll fees. I am more appalled by the admin fees which the car rental agency charges.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would suggest you try using our company contacts and request they waive those fees. These car rental companies in Florida need to change the way they do things and should explain how to use the transponder to every person who is an out of state driver renting in Florida.

They may not budge but a well written letter that finds the right executive can get the case turned around.

Read this and follow the instructions :

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello Everyone,
Probably you might be aware of this issue with Thrifty. I recently rented a car from Thrifty, Fort Myers airport location on Dec 15th for 2 days. This is our first visit to Miami in last 10 years and have not rented from Thrifty for some time.Therefore was not aware of the hidden admin fees of $9.99 per each usage of the toll.
The guy at the counter did not say a word about the platepass for toll fees and its exorbitant admin fees of $9.99 for each toll usage. I now have a bill of $66 of which $60 is for admin fees. Is there a way to dispute this? or my admin fees waived partially or completely.
If the guy the counter had told me I would have rented the toll transponder and avoided this agony.
Request your help.
How many days did your rental last?

We recently rented from Thrifty at Newark. We were offered (and accepted) a daily Ez-Pass charge of ~$13/day. So if you rented for a week you would have spent more than $60. You would need to pay either a daily or per toll charge unless you take your own toll plate. You do not have the option of paying the individual toll as toll booths no longer accept money in most locations.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How many days did your rental last?

We recently rented from Thrifty at Newark. We were offered (and accepted) a daily Ez-Pass charge of ~$13/day. So if you rented for a week you would have spent more than $60. You would need to pay either a daily or per toll charge unless you take your own toll plate. You do not have the option of paying the individual toll as toll booths no longer accept money in most locations.
The issue is that in Florida, I have never had anyone st any car rental offer up information about using the transponder and toll roads. They say nothing - if you don’t ask about tolls, they don’t offer this information. So many people find out about the ability to use the transponder this way- with a big bill after they get home.

This should be required disclosure when renting in Florida.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
The issue is that in Florida, I have never had anyone st any car rental offer up information about using the transponder and toll roads. They say nothing - if you don’t ask about tolls, they don’t offer this information. So many people find out about the ability to use the transponder this way- with a big bill after they get home.

This should be required disclosure when renting in Florida.
@Neil Maley Here's the funny thing on our two different experiences. Every time I've rented in FL, I've had to sign / acknowledge something about tolling and the admin fees involved. I thought it was a required disclosure! When I finally read it, I went out and bought a toll tag I move between rental vehicles.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hello Everyone,
Request your help.
Did you drive from Ft Myers to Miami on I-75? That's a long round-trip in two days. Pretty soon someone is going to file a class action suit against the rental car companies for gouging their customers with the admin fees. It's one thing if you are informed, but I've never had a rental car agent volunteer the info, I always ask. I would follow my colleagues' advice and throw yourself on their mercy. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.