Thrifty Car Rental

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 17, 2018
I recently rented a car from thrifty. While coming back to ohio gps took me on toll bridges even though directions clearly stated no tolls. I got to end of both toll bridges and found there were no toll booths to pay. So when i returned car i told clerk what happened and she said no worries we just send bill.
Two 4.00 tolls had 15.00 admin fee for each. Thrifty recieves one statement but charges me per toll. Thats like wal mart charging you a fee per item you buy.

Sep 19, 2015
Were the tolls on the same day or different days.

Honestly I put the blame on the states and their legislatures — no (or few) manned toll booths, different systems (ie Easy pass)

Once getting a bill from the state the rental car company has to have someone look up the rental info, bill the person and so on.

If the tolls were on the same day maybe you could ask for a waiver of one of the fees.

Aug 17, 2018
Were the tolls on the same day or different days.

Honestly I put the blame on the states and their legislatures — no (or few) manned toll booths, different systems (ie Easy pass)

Once getting a bill from the state the rental car company has to have someone look up the rental info, bill the person and so on.

If the tolls were on the same day maybe you could ask for a waiver of one of the fees.
Mine were minutes apart.
According to Thrifty when toll alert comes in computers tell them dates,time, car and who rented. They dont have to look up anything.
Im just leaning on scam side because if i were to have been in my own car i would be mailed the bill and it would be the 4.10 per toll which is mail in rate. But Thrifty is adding 15.00 per toll.
When they charge 9.99 a gallon for gas for each gallon you leave it down upon return i can understand because an employee has to take car and fill it up.
With toll bill however its a one shot thing. So whilst i can understand 15.00 total the 15 admin fee per toll is theft of sorts.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is something renters never think to ask and the car rental companies never tell you about. Florida is the worst state with their tolls and reverts need to be proactive to ask about tolls when they rent.

I’d like to see it a law that the car rental companies are required to disclose toll information to avoid this.

Dec 19, 2014
Couple of general comments
You state that you were "coming back to Ohio" which implies that you rented the car in Ohio. Is that correct?
Neither of the 2 toll bridges in Ohio offer E-pass or ETC, so it does not appear that you drove there.
The toll rate of $4 and ETC suggests that you were driving on the Riverlink bridges (between Louisville, KY and southern IN). Both the 265 bridge and the I-65 bridges are toll bridges and only offer ETC.

Since you were charged $4 (it is actually $4.10), Thrifty was charged the "pay by mail" rate.

There aren't really any good ways to avoid this other than:
1) Avoid driving on toll roads when using a rental car (This can be very difficult and inconvenient)
2) Using your own transponder (Also inconvenient and unnecessary if you are just visiting the area)
3) Sign up for the rental car company's toll package (unnecessarily expensive,)

Some ETC only toll roads allow you to pay the toll after usage, but Riverlink does NOT allow this option

Since the rental was likely from Ohio, the rental agent may not have know that you were travelling to an area that has toll roads.

Neil is right, Florida is worse. However, when renting in areas where there is ETC (ie Denver, Chicago, Dallas, Orlando, etc), the rental agent has always been over aggressive about renting a transponder.

Question for the OP:
Did the rental agent disclose any information offering you a toll package when you picked up your rental?
Did you "rent" a GPS unit from Thrifty or use the in car GPS?

Jun 1, 2018
It's probably too late to do this now but in the future, check to see if tolls can be paid online - keep receipts and then, if the rental company charges you, provide the receipts to show the tolls have already been paid.

I've done this before with Hertz, but I had the advantage of knowing in advance that there'd be tolls.