Thrifty Car Rental outrageous administration fee.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 29, 2016
I am writing this to you to see if you can report or make it notice of the scam thrifty is doing with the tool charges. I rented a car for 5 days. I use 5 tolls with the cost of $5.39 and also I got charged $ 90.00 for administration fee. Horrible. how can they charge $ 90.00 when it is electronic tolls. I am a turist and I do not have a E-Z pass for the toll in north Carolina. So, you rent a car for one day and pay $ 40.00 a day and use one toll and bang you get a bill of $ 90.00. horrible.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thanks For The info. But it was not offer to me in the counter. I usually not rent a car. I was blindside.
That's what it said in the article. It wasn't offered to him either. It apparently is a major scam. I had never heard of it but the author of that article is a frequent traveler and he was totally blindsighted also. You should definitely write a letter to our contacts and request a refund of some, not all, of the fees. I understand that fee is disclosed on the website but the platepass option is not explained/offered. Even the website fails to list the cost/savings.
Apparently it varies by location so let's assume it is 8.99/day (includes unlimited tolls. 8.99 X 5days= 44.95 90(the cap without paypass)-44.95 (had you opted in)= $54.95.

I would ask for a return of $54.95. I understand it is more than the $26.95 you would pay in tolls alone, but there is a disclosed fee if you don't arrange cash or other method of payment, according to the website. I think you definitely deserve the $54.95 back and if you don't overreach, you will likely be more successful.
If the daily fee at that location is not 8.99, adjust for that. It may be less which is more money back for you.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I don't understand what they are playing at. With Hertz you don't have to opt in. If you use tolls you get charged a daily one-time fee plus the tolls, nothing like $15 per toll.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I suggest you use our company contacts and write to the company. Tell them you were not told about this and you were not familiar with driving in the area to habe known to ask. Start with Customer Service and give them a week to reply. If they don't do anything, write to the first executive shown. Give him a week to reply. Repeat weekly if needed until you get to the top.

This happens in other states as well.

Feb 9, 2016
I rented in Denver 2 years ago (cant remember the company) and was advised that, if I drove in a toll area, I would be charged X plus the toll, unless I purchase a pass. They even showed me a map.

I rented in Denver last year (ezRental) and the rental company said nothing about the tolls, etc. I didn't say anything because I knew I wouldn't be using those highways, but I was pretty shocked.

You have to wonder what responsibility does the consumer bear for knowing the laws of the area ? Is it just a matter of the quality of customer service for the car rental place to inform you of these issues?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think it's the obligation of the car rental company. My wife told me when she rented from Budget in Florida, she asked about tolls. The agent told her the car had the toll pass built in and it would activate the first time she drove through a toll. The cost was the cost of the toll and a service fee of $4 or $5 only on the days she drove through a toll.

She later learned she could have also opted to go through the cash line and simply pay cash with no extra fees but the agent never told her about that.'

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
The administrative fees are coming from EZPass not Thrifty for toll violations. EzPass charges very hefty fees for toll violations. BUT my experience is that if you call EZPass and explain the situation they will waive the administrative fees. This has happened to me and I found the EZPass customer service to be very helpful and responsive....Just have the toll violation number and the plate number of the car available and they should be able to reverse all the charges except the actual toll.

Call EZPass(quick Pass) North Carolina at 1-877-769-7277 and explain your situation. This can be easily rectified.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
I think it's the obligation of the car rental company. My wife told me when she rented from Budget in Florida, she asked about tolls. The agent told her the car had the toll ass built in and it would activate the first time she drove through a toll. The cost was the cost of the toll and a service fee of $4 or $5 only on the days she drove through a toll.

She later learned she could have also opted to go through the cash line and simply pay cash with no extra fees but the agent never told her about that.'
What's a toll ass? :eek:;)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'd never know about this scam if it wasn't for this forum. Once in Florida there was a little flyer in my rental contract. Never once has any car rental agent said one word to me about tolls and the related charges. At $90 a pop, I can understand why. Ka-ching! More revenue, better bottom line. The renters? Who cares, they're tourists, they'll probably not be back.

I am literally so disgusted with car rental horror stories that I am waiting for something to happen to me so I can raise hell up one side and down the other. I rent a dozen cars a year and so far it's been problem-free. Car rental companies make the airlines look like your fairy godmother.

May 17, 2016
I think it's the obligation of the car rental company. My wife told me when she rented from Budget in Florida, she asked about tolls. The agent told her the car had the toll pass built in and it would activate the first time she drove through a toll. The cost was the cost of the toll and a service fee of $4 or $5 only on the days she drove through a toll.

Neil--
I live in FL and use the SunPass. But I've noticed that the cash lines also read the SunPass transponders. So I'm wondering how a driver would avoid activating the transponder. Guess it's a question for the folks at SunPass.

Sep 3, 2016
The administrative fees are coming from EZPass not Thrifty for toll violations. EzPass charges very hefty fees for toll violations. BUT my experience is that if you call EZPass and explain the situation they will waive the administrative fees. This has happened to me and I found the EZPass customer service to be very helpful and responsive....Just have the toll violation number and the plate number of the car available and they should be able to reverse all the charges except the actual toll.

Call EZ Pass(quick Pass) North Carolina at 1-877-769-7277 and explain your situation. This can be easily rectified.
Most likely car rental companies have an EZ pass accounts and the tolls are charged to them. The administrative fee seems to be charged by the company to the customer in addition to the toll charges. Like the outrageous fuel refill charges, these administrative fees are some easy money from the unsuspecting customer. As we often hear- READ THE CONTRACT before signing on the dotted line. Customer should be able to pay the toll at the CASH ONLY booth by-passing the EZ Pass lanes.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
If you're going to Florida, I can't figure out why you wouldn't just get a transponder and add money to the account. Then you're covered in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. Just consider a cost of travel, like a passport.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you're going to Florida, I can't figure out why you wouldn't just get a transponder and add money to the account. Then you're covered in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. Just consider a cost of travel, like a passport.
If you are only traveling there once every 10 years and renting a car, it is a waste of money. If you travel every year, it is worth it.