Thomas edison state college NJ

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 14, 2019
Hi,

So I registered for online class for feb 2016 term at thomas edison state college in Trenton NJ. They dropped my courses over non payment. I again registered for march and april courses but this time they never dropped my courses. Nor was a I given a login information to attend online classes and not did I logged in once. They have been sending me letters asking me to pay 1384.00 for classes I never took and attended. They are threatening to turn my account to NJ treasure for liability (SOIL). WHAT CAN I DO ? also should I hire a lawyer ?

Nov 14, 2019
No I didn't take any courses. Not did I drop them. I was under the impression that college would stop my courses over non payment like they did the first time in January. I never got any login information to attend courses

Jul 13, 2016
You never received an email or letter with your log-in credentials? I suspect that this email and all subsequent emails ended up in your spam folder. Why did you not contact the college when you did not see an email from them?

Nov 14, 2019
Like I said college dropped my courses over non payment in January. I was under the impression that they dropped my courses for march and april term because I never paid for them. Hence I never contacted them. They know I never logged in once or attended them.

May 1, 2018
No I didn't take any courses. Not did I drop them. I was under the impression that college would stop my courses over non payment like they did the first time in January. I never got any login information to attend courses
That's a dangerous impression to be under. I imagine you rightfully owe the tuition fees if you registered for classes and they held a spot for you. The drop deadline is there for a reason. Do these courses appear on your transcript?

Nov 14, 2019
I was attending a different college at the time and wanted to see what kind of courses this collegethomas edison offered. I was on their website and that's how I registered. There was no enrollment or anything.

My question is if they drop me over non payment issue in January why they didn't do so for march?

Secondly I never got any login information to attend the course.

If there isnt any login history and college can see that why are they asking me to pay 1384.00 for the course.

Sep 9, 2018
I was attending a different college at the time and wanted to see what kind of courses this collegethomas edison offered. I was on their website and that's how I registered. There was no enrollment or anything.

My question is if they drop me over non payment issue in January why they didn't do so for march?

Secondly I never got any login information to attend the course.

If there isnt any login history and college can see that why are they asking me to pay 1384.00 for the course.
Because they held a spot for you which essentially prevented another student from registering and actually paying. That's lost revenue that the college isn't about to absorb.

Another reason *may* be that you were dropped for non-payment once. There may be something in their regs about multiple registrations w/o payment.

Jul 30, 2018
Hi,

So I registered for online class for feb 2016 term at thomas edison state college in Trenton NJ. They dropped my courses over non payment. I again registered for march and april courses but this time they never dropped my courses. Nor was a I given a login information to attend online classes and not did I logged in once. They have been sending me letters asking me to pay 1384.00 for classes I never took and attended. They are threatening to turn my account to NJ treasure for liability (SOIL). WHAT CAN I DO ? also should I hire a lawyer ?
You ask "what can I do?" Well, you need to contact the registrar at the college and inquire about their refund policy. If you do owe the money then you can ask them about a payment plan. I'm guessing that you needed to formally withdraw from classes in order to avoid being billed for tuition. There have been similar posts on this forum about students failing to formally withdraw from classes and still being obligated to pay for tuition.

May 28, 2019
Unfortunately, that’s not how college works.

There are much more efficient—and less expensive—ways of looking up course offerings (colleges almost always publish course schedules) that don’t involve registering for classes. As a college student surely you are aware of this?

You got lucky only being dropped for nonpayment and not being charged the first time around. Frankly, I’m shocked you aren’t being chased for payment for both enrollments. All colleges have strict refund policies for how much you’ll be charged based on whether you dropped the class (and when), not whether you paid yet.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
You can't register for classes, not show up, and not inform the college that you are dropping the classes, without being responsible for the payment. The university must have sent you at least three emails informing you very clearly of the drop/add dates and the dates beyond which you would not be refunded. My daughter missed the withdrawal deadline for a class by two days, and that money was gone. You're responsible for understanding the terms and conditions of the college's registration process.

Dec 26, 2018
As a college professor, I can tell you that universities are typically very strict about deadlines for withdrawals and refunds. Allowing students to drop out and receive refunds late in the semester has multiple negative consequences. As noted above, it potentially takes classroom spots away from students who sincerely wanted to enroll. It can create a financial burden on the institution if it refunds tuition dollars late in the term after the costs of offering a course at a given enrollment have already been incurred. But beyond that - many of us think such flexibility would create a disincentive for students to apply themselves with difficult material. If a student knows that he/she can withdraw at the last minute, receive a refund, with nothing recorded on his/her transcript - there are no consequences to failing to make an effort. If the material doesn't come easily, the student can just quit with no repercussions. That isn't learning anything.

My point is not to preach here, just to state that these policies exist for reasons. Also, you should note that registrar's offices do not typically have the bandwidth or IT infrastructure to monitor the login behavior of thousands of students. Just because accounting flagged your enrollment previously for non-payment does not mean the system works that way every semester. Your best hope is to look for some sympathetic administrator who may be empowered to grant you an exception. However, you will probably need to present some kind of compelling personal circumstance (other than what you've stated above) to earn one.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a most unfortunate example of fuzzy logic and I'm sorry to say I agree with my colleagues. You bought the product, you didn't cancel the order, you need to pay for the classes. Think about buying a plane tix, not showing up for the flight, not cancelling it. The plane departs with your seat empty. Then you ask for a refund. Fuzzy logic ... logic that makes no sense.