This matter hasn't been resolved since 2015

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 15, 2018
I had reservations from PHX to IAD then the commuter from IAD to PIT. The same travel was reversed on my return flight. On both flights the commuter plane was cancelled repeatedly until I had to secure a room on the first leg of the trip. The next day it was cancelled repeatedly until I had to get a rental car and drive to final destination. On the flight home it was cancelled repeatedly until I was forced to purchase another ticket on another airline to get home. This was extremely expensive and caused much anxiety and duress. I just can't release the fact that United is responsible for at least reimbursing me for some of the money that was spent correcting their poor service. The anxiety, stress, discomfort and money spent still leaves a very bad taste in my mouth still today. I will NEVER use United's commuter again!

Feb 15, 2018
What efforts have you undertaken with United about compensation?
Was your drive from IAD to ????
My drive was from IAD to Johnstown, PA costing $284.81. I split this with 2 other passengers that were also fed up from cancellation after cancellation of our flight to Johnstown. This was the next day after our flight was cancelled so many times we had to spend the night in a hotel ($77.28) Then after repeated cancellations for the commuter from Johnstown to IAD for my flight home, my sister drove me to Pittsburgh so I could (barely) get a flight home on US Airways. That ticket cost me $497.10 (after already paying $542.70 for the round-trip ticket on United)! I have every piece of documentation including receipts, e-ticket, reservation #, recorder #, etc to back up my plight regarding this very, very expensive trip. I filled out every form online with United's customer service dept but kept getting disregarded and rejected time after time. I just wish I could talk to someone but there aren't any numbers for a cust service rep.

Feb 15, 2018
I am sorry but I am having problems understanding the situation. Why were the flights canceled? Mechanical? Weather?
I'm sorry for being unclear. Yes after reading my post I left out the fact that my flight was from PHX to IAD where I would catch the commuter from IAD to JST (Johnstown, PA). I had the same flights (just reversed) for the return home. The 5:30 pm commuter was cancelled repeatedly due to weather until we were told we could get a hotel room or spend the night in the airport until the next am when it was scheduled to depart at 8:09am. By late morning me a 2 other disgruntled passengers decide to rent a car and drive to Johnstown after the flights had all been posted and cancelled that am. Then on the return flight home, cancellations began happening again. I finally decided to have my sister drive me 1 1/2 hours to Pittsburgh where I (barely) caught a 5:25pm flight home to PHX. I just didn't want to take the chance of spending another night due to cancelled commuter flights as United's track record was not the best judging from from angst getting to Johnstown.

Jan 6, 2015
Unfortunately, you placed yourself at a disadvantage for compensation when you took matters into your hands. United was not asked, it seems, to assist you with alternate flights. However, you can use the Company Contacts link at the top of this page to present your case to them.
Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the first page. And remember to include your desired compensation. And with the length of time that has passed, you will really need the reservation number and flight information.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This does sound like a nightmare trip. I really dislike those commuter flights who are seemingly affected by a thousand different things. However, if the delays and cancellations were the result of weather, that's a whole different ball game. As one of my colleagues requested, please let us know exactly what steps you have taken, and the responses so far, to obtain reimbursement for some of your costs. I'm not sure if too much time has passed, but we will surely try to assist you.

Nov 20, 2015
Though I've never flown to the Johnstown airport, I have flown to western Pennsylvania dozens of times over the years to visit family. On 3 occasions I've tried to fly into/out of one of these tiny commuter airports. Twice, fog and/or bad weather led to all flights from that airport being cancelled for the day; on the third trip, my flight was delayed for 2 hours and I missed my connection. Like you, I learned the perils of flying into a tiny airport for "convenience".

As with the other airports, commercial aviation at Johnstown can only survive through subsidies from the federal government as part of the Essential Air Service program. Since there are often only 2-3 round trip flights a day, delays and cancellations can easily leave you stranded for a day or two. On top of that, the flights are usually much more expensive when only one airline flies there.(as you found out). When our flights were cancelled, the airline moved us to flights out of PIT without any additional charges to us. (we had relatives drive us to PIT both times) (Also, we did have to ask to have our departure city changed)

Unfortunately, as the others have said, United really doesn't owe you anything since weather caused your flight problems. Also, United Express has now halted all of its operations in Johnstown. If you decide to write to the executives, don't tell them you'll never fly United again.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018
Unfortunately, you placed yourself at a disadvantage for compensation when you took matters into your hands. United was not asked, it seems, to assist you with alternate flights. However, you can use the Company Contacts link at the top of this page to present your case to them.
Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the first page. And remember to include your desired compensation. And with the length of time that has passed, you will really need the reservation number and flight information.
Thanks for your advice. Since there was no way to tell if the flight would or would not be cancelled again, I just couldn't risk more cancellations and possibly delayed until the next day (again) as I had to get home:) I will try company contacts.

Apr 3, 2016
Did you tell the airline that you would not be taking the flight before you left for Pittsburgh? if you did, I would think that they would at least owe you for the value of the return ticket since the flight was cancelled and you opted not to fly with them.